'hot deals' and sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eliyahu

Train Attendant
folks,

is it possible to book a reduced coach fare via 'hot deals' on amtrak.com and then later add a sleeper accomodations to your existing reservation if you haven't picked up the tickets yet?

-- eliyahu

austin, tx

folks,
is it possible to book a reduced coach fare via 'hot deals' on amtrak.com and then later add a sleeper accomodations to your existing reservation if you haven't picked up the tickets yet?

-- eliyahu

austin, tx
Unless Amtrak has changed the rules recently, no it is not possible to add on a sleeper to a hot deals reservation. At least prior to departure, once on board however you can request an on board upgrade, assuming that a room is still available.

Also keep in mind, when you book a sleeper, you get the lowest rail fare bucket.

I just tried to book a trip to LAX with a saved plans that was not that old maybe a couple of hours and the price was rejected for a price that was $102 more. Is there anything I can do to get the first price. The new price priced me right out of my trip.

I just tried to book a trip to LAX with a saved plans that was not that old maybe a couple of hours and the price was rejected for a price that was $102 more. Is there anything I can do to get the first price. The new price priced me right out of my trip.
i have often checked back a few hours or even days later and found a price back down to a lower bucket. the saved plan feature says it doesn't guarentee the saved fare so i don't think you can do anything about that.
Correct, there is nothing you can do but hope that maybe it drops back down. Keep checking.

This is why, when you see a price that you like, you should purchase. As long as you don't ticket, you can get a full refund (within time limits).

My problem was I had a voucher and had to book over the phone. I called and asked if I had to pick up my ticket now or could I pickup my tickets later. I was told I would have to pick them up when I paid for them. One thing I did not mention was my price went from $564 to $666. Spokey.

I had a similar situation. I'm going to be going on a west-coast trip at the end of the month, and had a "saved plan" that amounted to $1141. However, I didn't book right away (partly due to lack of funds at first). However, in waiting, segments two and three actually went *down* in price, so I booked those (which subsequently caused their prices to go up above the original fare). I didn't book segment one, however, and that price wound up going up by $100. I waited a few days, and the price went back down to the original fare, so I called in a reservation.

Total fare paid was $1089. However, if I were to book that same reservation today, it would cost $1281.

Sometimes, it's just a matter of luck of the draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back