Hotbox on train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
My Cousin asked me how I liked the hotbox on the train when we were talking about the Sunset Ltd. I have gone blank. What is a hotbox on a train?

When the journals on either side of an axel become overheated due to bad oil or wheels with the hand breaks applied, it's described as a "hot box" because the resulting friction causes a spectacular display of sparks coming out of the trucks.

My Cousin asked me how I liked the hotbox on the train when we were talking about the Sunset Ltd. I have gone blank. What is a hotbox on a train?
In the "old days" a hotbox used to refer to the a journal box on the axle that was heating up, if left unchecked, often caused a derailment. Hence the invention of "hotbox detectors".

Today though, all wheel sets are required to have roller-bearings. (no more "boxes") However, there is still a 100% need for "hot box detectors" to detect bad or unusually high heat in the bearings, which if left unchecked.........

Now if your Cuz asked you "How'd you LIKE the "hotbox" on the train, well, I'll leave that to the group's pros.....

In the "old days" a hotbox used to refer to the a journal box on the axle that was heating up, if left unchecked, often caused a derailment. Hence the invention of "hotbox detectors".

Today though, all wheel sets are required to have roller-bearings. (no more "boxes") However, there is still a 100% need for "hot box detectors" to detect bad or unusually high heat in the bearings, which if left unchecked.........

Now if your Cuz asked you "How'd you LIKE the "hotbox" on the train, well, I'll leave that to the group's pros.....
Here is how he asked the question, "Did you enjoy the train with the "Hot box" clip?"

Gee, and I thought a "hot box" was an instrument of torture used on prisoners who got out of line while working on the chain gang (or Amtrak passengers who complain too much about the service!).

When the journals on either side of an axel become overheated due to bad oil or wheels with the hand breaks applied, it's described as a "hot box" because the resulting friction causes a spectacular display of sparks coming out of the trucks.
A sticking brake can give you a hot wheel, but it is NOT a hotbox. A hotbox refers strictly to an overheated bearing. The sparks are from the wheel sliding due to a sticking brake, not from a hotbox. In days past with friction bearing and rags stuffed in the journal area to hold the oil, you could get flames, but not usually with roller bearings. If it gets hot enough, you will see deep red to orange, but by then things are getting serious. If it gets too hot, the end of the axle will fail resulting in a derailment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back