Hotel Courtesy Van

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Everydaymatters

Engineer
Is there one single hotel near the entire Amtrak system which has a courtesy van for Amtrak passengers?

Hotels will send their courtesy vans to pick up and drop off airline passenger, but what about Amtrak passengers?

Does anyone know of a hotel that will do that for us?

Betty

I don't know if there is a hotel that caters directly and exclusively to Amtrak passengers, but I do know of a couple that will take people to a train station with Amtrak service. For example the Dedham Hilton just outside of Boston will pick up/drop off people from Amtrak's Route 128 station.

There are many other hotels that will also give people shuttle rides to either a commuter station or a subway/light rail station.

I would imagine that the Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, VA, as well as the hotel on the EB in Essex MT (name eludes my sinusitis ridden brain right now) would.

There are a couple of other Amtrak focused lodgings I seem to recall as well - more later.

I don't know if there is a hotel that caters directly and exclusively to Amtrak passengers, but I do know of a couple that will take people to a train station with Amtrak service. For example the Dedham Hilton just outside of Boston will pick up/drop off people from Amtrak's Route 128 station.
There are many other hotels that will also give people shuttle rides to either a commuter station or a subway/light rail station.
The Marriott Courtyard in Portland, just east of downtown has shuttle service to/from the Portland Amtrak station. Give them a call and they were there in 10 minutes to pick you up!

I used "kinda" used a Best Western Hotel courtsey van in Grand Forks ND to the Amtrak Station to catch the Empire Builder. I took the bus from Omaha to Grand Forks to catch the Empire Builder to Chicago for the gathering. I've taken the CZ many times and wanted to try something different. The bus arrived in Grand Forks at 4:30pm and the Empire Builder wasn't scheduled to leave until after midnight...1257am. I couldn't find anything open in Grand Forks to hang out while waiting for the train. The mall, Starbucks, the University of ND Library....etc etc, everything closed around 5 or 6pm, and the Amtrak station didn't open until midnight. So I decided to spring for a motel room. I called around and even though the Best Western was a little more expensive they have free courtsey van to the Amtrak station, which would save me maybe $20bucks for a taxi (plus they have an indoor pool and onsite resturaunt). When I checked in, I asked what time the courtsey van leaves for the Amtrak station. I was shocked to find out the courtsey van was for the Westbound Empire Builder about 4:15am. They didn't have an extra person working late at night to drive the van. Apparently they don't get a lot of demand for people who check-in for 6-7 hours, don't spend the night, then want a ride to the Amtrak Station...who knew??? But I pleaded my case to the manager, I never said which way I was going, the hotel clerk never asked me which way I was going...shuttle van to the Amtrak Station, sounds like a shuttle van to the Amtrak station to me. SO the manager paid for a taxi to take me to the station...yahoo.

So, yes some motel/hotels have shuttle vans to the Amtrak Station...I would talk to them on the phone, and be specific.

And let's not forget the Doubletree in Portland, MAINE (not Oregon), which is technically across a parking lot from the Amtrak station (although there's a fence erected now that makes the walk quite circuitous). The hotel provides the shuttle no questions asked, and in speaking with the driver, he said half to over half of his riders were from Amtrak or Greyhound (which share the station).

-Rafi

And let's not forget the Doubletree in Portland, MAINE (not Oregon), which is technically across a parking lot from the Amtrak station (although there's a fence erected now that makes the walk quite circuitous). The hotel provides the shuttle no questions asked, and in speaking with the driver, he said half to over half of his riders were from Amtrak or Greyhound (which share the station).
-Rafi
The only problem is that that Doubletree is no longer a Doubletree, they downgraded and switched parent companies a few months back. :(

Ps. It's now a Clarion, part of the Choice Hotels network so one can still earn AGR points by staying there. Just not as many AGR points as when it was a D-Tree.

Last edited by a moderator:
-Rafi
The only problem is that that Doubletree is no longer a Doubletree, they downgraded and switched parent companies a few months back. :(

Ps. It's now a Clarion, part of the Choice Hotels network so one can still earn AGR points by staying there. Just not as many AGR points as when it was a D-Tree.
Oh wow, I wasn't aware of that. That's too bad, because the HiltonHonors points deal was a great bonus for visiting Portland. At least it's still an AGR-compatible hotel.

-Rafi

That's too bad, because the HiltonHonors points deal was a great bonus for visiting Portland. At least it's still an AGR-compatible hotel.
Yes, I love Hilton for that. Where else can you get a hotel room, many times for about $100 and earn $250 worth of AGR points? Not to mention earning Hilton Honors points at the same time.

I haven't kept track of just how many HH points I've earned over the last 5 years or so, but I've earned more than one free room from them. Equally important though, Hilton has graciously increased my AGR points by some 55,000 points since 2003.

I just this week booked a trip on the Auto Train for a large portion of my family, getting free passage for an SUV, a family room, a roomette, and 6 people all for 50,000 points. So in effect my stays at Hilton Honors properties paid for this trip. :)

In Birmingham, AL I have been known to stay at the Wynfrey Hotel at Galleria Mall. I have ridden in their shuttle to the airport, they go to the airport first (which is further away) and then swing by the train station on their way back and let me off.

They have also been known to pick me up at the train station upon arrival. I do this by callling them on the spot---they will usually do that, but will not make a formal--previously arranged-- scheduled stop at the train station.

Once they told me they only had about one request a year for the Amtrak station. It dawned on me that that one person per year was probably me!!!

Anybody here remember the "Storm of the Century" in 1993? I do---I was stranded in---yes----really---little old Birmingham AL for a---yes---really--- a blizzard. The winds were reportelly about 60 to 70 mph and probably about 19 inches of snow all around. I got to experience how a hotel staff on duty could not leave, new staff could not come in, and they slowly ran out of food. Each meal became a buffet and they cooked all kinds of food each of the three times a day. Forget all about whether something was for breakfast or dinner . You ate whatever they had. Period. And you had to pay for every night you stayed, as I recall. I am not sure , maybe they gave us some kind of break.

Transportation was screwed up everywhere. The night before I was to come home to Atlanta on the train, Amtrak said the train would not run that day. So I made plane reservations. So I rode the limo all the way to the airport, with a guy from England.

Got to Altanta, came home on the #23 bus, rode by the Amtrak station and there was the n.b. Crescent coming in, only about 40 mines late. This was the train which had been cancelled the night before, supposedly. I wrote

W. Graham Claytor just to see---one railfan to anther----if he would allow a refund on the $300 one way airpfare I had paid from BHM to ATL, based on being given incorrect info. He gave me a firm but polite "no".

Add this to my Hurricane Camille story in NOL, track being washed away on my first CZ trip,hitting cars on The Georgian and the South Wind, and the power outage in the Big Apple, maybe a couple of other things --gads, I must be living wrong!!!

Last time I stayed in a Choice hotel, the high lights of it were a filthy pool and a gargantuan Palmetto bug (a REALLY large member of the cockroach family) in the shower. I sent them a letter about my upset at this, and the outrageous rudeness of the desk clerk- I won't go into it, but it wasn't even remotely acceptable. They sent me a standard form letter that said, in typical CS PR language, we're sorry and we want to sound like we care, but we don't. I got a letter from the hotel itself to the same effect. And then they had the gall, the unmitigated, unbridled temerity, to use this as an excuse to add me to their advertising mailing lists. :angry: :angry: :angry: Needless to say, Choice won't ever be my choice again.

Anyway, the Best Western I went to in Troy (an Albany, NY satellite), offered that service to the station.

Last time I stayed in a Choice hotel, the high lights of it were a filthy pool and a gargantuan Palmetto bug (a REALLY large member of the cockroach family) in the shower.
And, to add to the charm, a FLYING member of the roach family. Several years ago we were staying in a condo in South Carolina and one night one of those things flew in and landed on the lamp shade next to me. I nearly jumped out of my skin. That monster needed ATC clearance to land.

Choice Hotels: How do I put this. I know. They stink. Could not agree with you more.

I would imagine that the Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, VA, as well as the hotel on the EB in Essex MT (name eludes my sinusitis ridden brain right now) would.
Izaak Walton Inn is the hotel in Essex, MT. Actually, it just about IS Essex, MT. They do provide a ride to and from the Empire Builder's flag stop location just down the road from the hotel.

Clark

-Rafi
The Doubletree looks close but in the dead of winter it's a hike; snow fences will catch you anyway.

-Rafi
The Doubletree looks close but in the dead of winter it's a hike; snow fences will catch you anyway.
Been there, done that. :)

It wasn't a horrible walk though, I've done worse in winter.

Travelodge Gateway, Blanenburg RD. Washington D C . Not the best. Not the worst. However they will pick you up at Union Station. They also will drop you in the morning at WUS. Makes it great for taking a tour right from the station. From Cleveland you get in the afternoon [ ? ] have half the day to tour. One night in the hotel and the best part of the next day to do whatever. Back on the train at 4:00 PM. Makes for a nice break. :)

The Grand Canyon Railway Hotel in Williams, AZ and The Lodge at Whitefish Lake in, um, Whitefish, MT both have shuttles.

In fact, if you don't catch the shuttle at the Williams Jct. "station" your chances of ever seeing civilization again are rather slim.

The Hot Springs Pool and Lodge in Glenwood Springs CO has a courtesy van and has someone standing outside with the sign in their hands that says, "Hot Springs Pool and Lodge". Also the Glenwood Springs Motor Lodge sent the owner over in his pickup truck and picked up luggage and my girlfriend and her two daugthers. I had to wait an extra 5 minutes as he took them back to the hotel and unloaded the luggage and then picked me up. Real nice guy! The Hotel Denver doesn't have a courtesy van to the Amtrak station in GSC simply because their front door is 30 yards away from the Amtrak station. That was a real NICE old hotel. Google Hotel Denver and its the perfect place to stay at in GSC if you are older or want to have a birdseye view of watching trains.

Al

And, to add to the charm, a FLYING member of the roach family. Several years ago we were staying in a condo in South Carolina and one night one of those things flew in and landed on the lamp shade next to me. I nearly jumped out of my skin. That monster needed ATC clearance to land.
We call them "B-52's" and because of the "newness" :huh: of the Islands formation and amount of volcanic rock they are quit prevalent. Unless you are so fastidious that you can eat off the floor, you will see them occasionally :lol:

We call them "B-52's" and because of the "newness" :huh: of the Islands formation and amount of volcanic rock they are quit prevalent. Unless you are so fastidious that you can eat off the floor, you will see them occasionally :lol:
Does anyone know of a hotel in Ft Lauderdale or Hollywood Fl with courtesy van pickup or dropoff?

Does anyone know of a hotel in Ft Lauderdale or Hollywood Fl with courtesy van pickup or dropoff?
I'm not sure if you're looking for a hotel right on the beach or not, but if not, then this list will help to find a hotel that's near a rail station.

I'm not sure if you're looking for a hotel right on the beach or not, but if not, then this list will help to find a hotel that's near a rail station.
Thanks for the list but I was asking about if anyone knows specific hotels in Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood that offer comp van service pickup and dropoff at either Ft Lauderdale or Hollywood Amtrak station. I want to take the Star or Meteor without having to rent a car. I guess I could take a taxi but if you or anyone on the forum know of any hotel van service would be helpful.

Thanks for the list but I was asking about if anyone knows specific hotels in Ft Lauderdale/Hollywood that offer comp van service pickup and dropoff at either Ft Lauderdale or Hollywood Amtrak station. I want to take the Star or Meteor without having to rent a car. I guess I could take a taxi but if you or anyone on the forum know of any hotel van service would be helpful.
And again, while there are some hotels on that list at other stations, all the hotels on that list that indicate Ft. Lauderdale are either within walking distance of the train station or provide a shuttle to/from the station. The list however does not distinguish between walk able hotels and hotels that provide shuttles. But by clicking on the logos you are taken to the hotels home page where you can find out if they have a shuttle, or if you have to walk a couple of blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back