Hotels convenient to Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To answer the question directly of a Hotel Convenient to Amtrak; the best one that we ever encountered was The La Posada Hotel (former Harvey House) in Winslow, AZ. The station platform is in back of the hotel and you just walk into the lobby. Also along the SWC line in Las Vegas, NM there is the Castanada Hotel (another former Harvey House) just down the block from the station. IMO if you appreciate railroad history staying or even visiting these two hotels is a must. They have been restored to to their 1930's appearance and are very well maintained. Its like seeing how hotels were back in the Golden Age of Railroad travel. These were favorite spots for Hollywood movie stars and VIP's on vacations and there are long lists of famous people that lodged there
Just curious because I always want to take Amtrak to Winslow and then drive to the petrified forest and the grand canyon. Did you rent a car in Winslow or was there other means of transportation?

I hear you. That's the first thing I look at now when planning, as well as reducing the need for taxis and lugging suitcases onto local transit not designed for them. We're not getting any younger either.
So true. In situations where I would have lugged a bag three flight up steps to take transit in the past, I will opt for Uber these days. I simply don;t have the ability to be the spring chicken I used to be anymore.

I hear you. That's the first thing I look at now when planning, as well as reducing the need for taxis and lugging suitcases onto local transit not designed for them. We're not getting any younger either.
KC Streetcar referred me to the KC Visitors Bureau, which listed hotels (and "map view" was the easiest way to determine which hotels were both closest to the Amtrak station and the free streetcar route). Then I double-checked those hotels on a hotel booking site linked to from the AMAC website, and was able to find cheaper prices for those same hotels (a $29 difference at the one we went with). Home2 Suites is apparently right across the street from a streetcar stop, and participates in the HHonors loyalty program (so we'll earn points toward a free night sometime in the future), so that's where we'll be spending the night between the S & W-bound and E & N-bound versions of the Lincoln Service/Missouri River Runner.

Here some suggested hotels or motels near major Amtrak stations:

https://is.gd/VAHGAV
I think I'm more interested in lodging near small Amtrak depots and stations. Has anyone stayed at a motel in Truckee, Calif? Are there any within walking distance of the depot?

I also wonder, with hotels/motels offering airport shuttles, if they would also shuttle you to an Amtrak station?

I think I'm more interested in lodging near small Amtrak depots and stations. Has anyone stayed at a motel in Truckee, Calif? Are there any within walking distance of the depot?

I also wonder, with hotels/motels offering airport shuttles, if they would also shuttle you to an Amtrak station?
I'd like to see more suggestions as to hotels near "minor" Amtrak stations, too. The hubby and I have reserved a room at the Home 2 Suites by Hilton in Kansas City, largely because it's right across the street from a free streetcar/trolley whose southern terminus is the KC Amtrak station (and it's the closest hotel to the station of all hotels which claim to be located near that trolley).

I haven't stayed there myself, but hope to: the Stonehouse B&B in Harpers Ferry gets fine reviews and is an easy walk from the Amtrak and MARC station. Website at Stonehouse B&B |. A very nice car-free getaway.

Cumberland, MD, served by the Cap Limited, seems to have several chain hotels and a few inns/B&Bs near the station. It's an interesting town with a rich railroad history though unfortunately very poor by most modern socioeconomic criteria. With a little cleverness, you could spend a car-free weekend in Cumberland, arriving and leaving on the Cap and taking a 4.5-hour ride on the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad, Western Maryland Scenic Railroad | Scenic Train Rides Through Mountain Maryland. Your chance to blow off steam. Literally.

Like MccfamschoolMom and others, I'm interested in lodging near "minor" stations, with the caveat that if the station or depot is so minor that there's little to see on foot nearby, you need a car anyway so that proximity to Amtrak is no longer so important.

if the station or depot is so minor that there's little to see on foot nearby, you need a car anyway so that proximity to Amtrak is no longer so important.
My hometown is probably one of those "SO minor" stations. There are a few interesting things within walking distance of the current station (including the local Historical Society's exhibits in the old historic station a few blocks away), and Dwight will be having its annual "Harvest Days" this coming weekend, but what hotels we have are all geared towards Interstate traffic, and rail passengers arriving here without a friend or relative to pick them up would have to hire a cab (or an Uber?) to reach them.

The Historic Holland Hotel in Alpine, Texas is across the Street from the Amtrak Depot( ex-SP) where the 3 times a Week Sunset Ltd stops.

Alpine is a nice little Walksble College town ( Sul Ross U.) located in the Davis Mountains of West Texas( and where I was Born).

Plenty of Cafes, Music Venues/Pubs and Art Galleries, and there are several Festivals held during the year.

Last edited:
Cumberland, MD, served by the Cap Limited, seems to have several chain hotels and a few inns/B&Bs near the station. It's an interesting town with a rich railroad history though unfortunately very poor by most modern socioeconomic criteria. With a little cleverness, you could spend a car-free weekend in Cumberland, arriving and leaving on the Cap and taking a 4.5-hour ride on the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad, Western Maryland Scenic Railroad | Scenic Train Rides Through Mountain Maryland. Your chance to blow off steam. Literally.
If you are going North on the NEC from CUM, you also have a Thruway Van available twice a day connecting to NEC service at BWI, one late morning and the other late afternoon IIRC, in case the unreliability of the Cap or its timing does not work for you.

If you are going North on the NEC from CUM, you also have a Thruway Van available twice a day connecting to NEC service at BWI, one late morning and the other late afternoon IIRC, in case the unreliability of the Cap or its timing does not work for you.
It'll probably be a while before I need to travel on the NEC; Dwight, IL is on the Lincoln Service (same tracks as the Texas Eagle).

It'll probably be a while before I need to travel on the NEC; Dwight, IL is on the Lincoln Service (same tracks as the Texas Eagle).
Something got mixed up. I was responding to Trollopian's message about Cumberland. I was not suggesting that you go to Cumberland. Let me apologize up front for whatever I might have done to confuse you. I am quite aware of where Dwight is. I have traveled every route that Amtrak has to offer today and had to offer since 1979.

To answer the question directly of a Hotel Convenient to Amtrak; the best one that we ever encountered was The La Posada Hotel (former Harvey House) in Winslow, AZ. The station platform is in back of the hotel and you just walk into the lobby. Also along the SWC line in Las Vegas, NM there is the Castanada Hotel (another former Harvey House) just down the block from the station. IMO if you appreciate railroad history staying or even visiting these two hotels is a must. They have been restored to to their 1930's appearance and are very well maintained. Its like seeing how hotels were back in the Golden Age of Railroad travel. These were favorite spots for Hollywood movie stars and VIP's on vacations and there are long lists of famous people that lodged there
Wow. Thank you for mentioning this - it's a new destination to add to my bucket list!
As is this dinner:
Grilled Quail with an Orange Oaxaca sauce, Elk Medallion topped with brandy black currant sauce, a green chili cheese tamale topped with a pork, venison, and bison chili. Tamale is finished with corn salsa and crema fresca. Served with a fresh vegetable medley

I think I'm more interested in lodging near small Amtrak depots and stations.
I’m sure it has been mentioned but hard to beat the Henry Clay Inn in Ashland, VA, first stop north of Richmond for regional trains. Many others pass by including Auto Train and Silver Service. A restaurant in the hotel (call for reservations) and much better Ironhorse Restauant in the next block. Ask for a room facing the tracks, located just behind the station.

One minor station worth stopping off at is Freeport ME on the Downeaster route. There are 2 places I have stayed at and can recommend, both are within walking distance of the station on Route 1. The Harraseeket Inn and the Brewster House Bed and Breakfast. The Harraseeket has a dining room and offers all 3 meals. Brewster House is just a B&B but after you eat breakfast there you may not need to eat the rest of the day :) . Some of the rooms at the Harraseeket have wood fireplaces. We have been there a few times to celebrate our anniversary.

One minor station worth stopping off at is Freeport ME on the Downeaster route. There are 2 places I have stayed at and can recommend, both are within walking distance of the station on Route 1. The Harraseeket Inn and the Brewster House Bed and Breakfast. The Harraseeket has a dining room and offers all 3 meals. Brewster House is just a B&B but after you eat breakfast there you may not need to eat the rest of the day :) . Some of the rooms at the Harraseeket have wood fireplaces. We have been there a few times to celebrate our anniversary.

Both the Harraseeket Inn and the Brewster House get very good ratings from Trip Advisor. Is Ben and Jerry's or LL Bean within walking distance?

Richard

I’m sure it has been mentioned but hard to beat the Henry Clay Inn in Ashland, VA, first stop north of Richmond for regional trains. Many others pass by including Auto Train and Silver Service. A restaurant in the hotel (call for reservations) and much better Ironhorse Restauant in the next block. Ask for a room facing the tracks, located just behind the station.

Sounds interesting. I sometimes get confused between Ashland, VA, Asheville, NC, and Ashland, OR. If Amtrak eventually goes to Asheville NC, is there already a station there? Possibly within walking distance to motels/hotels? I believe some people would not like to see an Amtrak route to Asheville as it could negatively affect the bucolic charm of Asheville.

Sounds interesting. I sometimes get confused between Ashland, VA, Asheville, NC, and Ashland, OR. If Amtrak eventually goes to Asheville NC, is there already a station there? Possibly within walking distance to motels/hotels? I believe some people would not like to see an Amtrak route to Asheville as it could negatively affect the bucolic charm of Asheville.

Just to torment you further...there's Ashburn, VA, the terminus of Metro's Silver Line!

Ashburn | WMATA

It was nothing fancy, but we have stayed at the Red Roof Inn near BWI airport. They have an airport shuttle there, and they had no problem dropping us off and picking us up at the BWI Amtrak station.

Just to torment you further...there's Ashburn, VA, the terminus of Metro's Silver Line!

Ashburn | WMATA
One of my best friends lives there - calls it "Cashburn". The closest Amtrak station is Manassas, which is a straight shot south. Proximity to Dulles airport opens a lot of hotel options in the area.

These days I am slowly getting reconciled to the sad situation that to find a decent hotel in downtown of big cities I will probably have to shell out ~$200 per night.
Our experience confirms this. This past May we stayed at the Springhill Suites in Springdale UT for $300 per night. in June we stayed at a LaQuinta in Mechanicsburg, PA. The room was $189.00. Next May we are booked at the LaPosada Hotel in Winslow, AZ that was $199.37 per night and the hotel is in a rather small city. The station stop is at the Hotel so it is convenient to just get off the train and walk right into the lobby.
Here is a new trick that I am now using. Book early, reserve your room. Then go online once a week and follow the lodging prices, Chances are, you will find a lower cost at the same hotel so book it. Then go on to cancel the original reservation. Using this method; while the cost was still high, we saved $200/ night on our Utah trip .

The hubby has now changed his mind about booking a trip to Indy with points, since the eastbound Cardinal arrives there so late. He's thought of Carbondale, IL (where our son attended law school at SIU) as an alternative. I know some of the hotels convenient to I-57 in Marion and Carbondale, but not ones convenient to the Amtrak station. Any suggestions?
Google Maps shows a Home2 Suites a block from the Carbondale Station.

Google Maps shows a Home2 Suites a block from the Carbondale Station.
Thanks! When we made road trips to Carbondale while our son was in law school, we usually stayed at the Super 8 in either Carbondale or Marion - great for car trips, but not so much for train travel. Our son's apartment was within a block or two of the Carbondale station on the other side of the street, though, which was great for when he was coming home on breaks.

Thanks! When we made road trips to Carbondale while our son was in law school, we usually stayed at the Super 8 in either Carbondale or Marion - great for car trips, but not so much for train travel. Our son's apartment was within a block or two of the Carbondale station on the other side of the street, though, which was great for when he was coming home on breaks.
I stayed at that hotel for a night maybe five years ago. I think it was newly opened at the time. I can't say I remember all that much but definitely don't recall any problems and would not hesitate to stay there again if I needed a hotel room near the Carbondale station.

Wife and I have a stop on the Cardinal in Cleveland and then Indianapolis.

Likely take in a baseball game and the zoo in Cincinnati and the museum in the Amtrak station. We are there a few days. I am not sure if I want to rent a car or just use city transit. I have looked around a few websites and I am a bit overwhelmed. Previous trips were to cities with a subway system. I am not sure what to expect with mass transit in Cincinnati.

Any recommendations for a decent hotel near by the station or bus lines to get around for a few days?Any hotels that offers pickup at the station at the time the train arrives in the wee hours of the morning? I was looking at taxis and some run 24/7 and others do not. I do try and stay away from the gig economy but this trip may be a uber and airbnb type visit, as much as I don't care for that model of running the economy. I really try to use the city transit for a few reasons, but I am not sure a bus ride is going to happen from/to the Amtrak station at a time I need it to happen.

Indianapolis is pretty much the same questions but we have a lot less time though that might change. Right now we have time to arrive but need to get to a car rental sooner than not as we are driving to Terre Haute to visit the Eugene Debs home and then turning around and leaving back to Indianapolis and returning home on Amtrak. At this point about 22 hours in the state of Indiana not counting time on the train. Given the times of Amtrak coming in we might need a hotel in Indianapolis. I might push the return date back until the next Cardinal coming through. A shame this is not a daily.

I love the Appalachian mountains and wife and I both attended Appalachian State University but this is the first time I get to cross the mountains on Amtrak.

Back