Hotels convenient to Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amtrak trip this October taking us to thru NY both coming from and returning back to Louisiana. My wife is 71 and has some physical difficulties walking. The closest hotel I can find appears to be the Fairmont. From what I can determine from Google Maps it appears not to be a long walk from the Fairmont to Metropolitan Lounge at Moynihan. Anybody have some info?
The closest hotel is the Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott across 33rd St from the Moynihan Train Hall. It is a very short walk if one jaywalks across 33rd St., or a half Ave. Block walk to the pedestrian crossing and then half block back.

I think you mean the Fairfield, not Fairmont; specifically, Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Penn Station. It is directly across the street from Moynihan, and has received good reviews. The 33rd street door from Moynihan is almost directly across the street from the hotel, but it is mid-block, and some have found it easier to exit Moynihan on the corner of the block to avoid crossing traffic without a light. There are lots of mentions of it in this thread.

There is another Fairfield Inn a couple of blocks away, so be careful that you are making your reservation at the correct one.

I think you mean the Fairfield, not Fairmont; specifically, Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Penn Station. It is directly across the street from Moynihan, and has received good reviews. The 33rd street door from Moynihan is almost directly across the street from the hotel, but it is mid-block, and some have found it easier to exit Moynihan on the corner of the block to avoid crossing traffic without a light. There are lots of mentions of it in this thread.
Do they really call a door on 33rd St. the "34th St." door? I have not paid attention, but that would be a bit odd, especially for a mid block door.

Amtrak trip this October taking us to thru NY both coming from and returning back to Louisiana. My wife is 71 and has some physical difficulties walking. The closest hotel I can find appears to be the Fairmont. From what I can determine from Google Maps it appears not to be a long walk from the Fairmont to Metropolitan Lounge at Moynihan. Anybody have some info?
On the Fairmont website, the only Fairmont Hotel I can find is The Plaza, which is a long way from Moynihan/Penn at the southeast corner of Central Park.

AFAIK, the closest is the New Yorker at the corner of 8th and 34th, one short "avenue" block from Moynihan which is on 8th between 31st and 33rd.

You are right it is Fairfield not fairmont and I will definitely make sure I book the right one.
Any confusion between Fairfield and Fairmont will be quickly dispelled at the payment page. 😅

Out of curiosity has anyone here stayed at The Plaza? It sounds like nearly all of rooms with Central Park views have been converted into apartments.

Any confusion between Fairfield and Fairmont will be quickly dispelled at the payment page. 😅

Out of curiosity has anyone here stayed at The Plaza? It sounds like nearly all of rooms with Central Park views have been converted into apartments.
Can't say that I did, but I did stay at the Waldorf as a splurge when I was younger. The bathroom alone was bigger than my apartment.

The closest hotel is the Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott across 33rd St from the Moynihan Train Hall. It is a very short walk if one jaywalks across 33rd St., or a half Ave. Block walk to the pedestrian crossing and then half block back.
This is where I stay when using Amtrak via NYC or attending a function at MSG. It is a fine hotel, although with very small rooms.

Haven’t stayed at the Fairmount in NYC but the New Yorker is one block north of the Moynihan Train Hall at 34th and 8th Avenue. We’re staying there this fall when we come in on the Crescent and head to Toronto the next morning on the Maple Leaf. If memory serves the lounge is on the south (31st Street) side of the MTH.

Haven’t stayed at the Fairmount in NYC but the New Yorker is one block north of the Moynihan Train Hall at 34th and 8th Avenue. We’re staying there this fall when we come in on the Crescent and head to Toronto the next morning on the Maple Leaf. If memory serves the lounge is on the south (31st Street) side of the MTH.
I’ve stayed here a few times during layovers on my trips. I love the vibe of the place, and the history behind it, but fair warning- with that comes pretty dated rooms. Clean, but thin walls, gaps in door frames, tiny, old school bathrooms, etc.
With that said I’d choose it again in a heartbeat for the charm and character!
Couple of random things:
1. I followed some stairs down off the lobby looking for a bathroom and discovered a cool underground upscale steakhouse with a huge bank vault inside- Butcher and Banker. I had already eaten, but sat at the bar for a drink. May not be a big secret, but I would never have found it otherwise so I wanted to share!
2. I learned that there is an underground tunnel beneath the hotel that used to connect hotel guests directly to Penn Station. It’s still there, just used for storage now.

1. I followed some stairs down off the lobby looking for a bathroom and discovered a cool underground upscale steakhouse with a huge bank vault inside- Butcher and Banker. I had already eaten, but sat at the bar for a drink. May not be a big secret, but I would never have found it otherwise so I wanted to share!
Had dinner there once. Very pricey, as expected, but it was top quality and the ambiance was unique, so I considered out a good experience.

Changing the topic momentarily from NYC, my wife and I were happy with the hotel we stayed in for our recent long weekend in Kansas City: the Crossroads. It's about 2-3 blocks from KC Union Station if you take the pedestrian bridge over the tracks, which has an elevator. It's a boutique hotel in a former warehouse, with a very popular rooftop bar. Short walk to the KC Streetcar, short-ish walk (through Union Station) to the WWI Museum. (Aside: prepare for STAIRS with the latter.) I didn't ask my wife how much we paid, though. :)

Changing the topic momentarily from NYC, my wife and I were happy with the hotel we stayed in for our recent long weekend in Kansas City: the Crossroads. It's about 2-3 blocks from KC Union Station if you take the bridge over the tracks, which has an elevator. It's a boutique hotel in a former warehouse, with a very popular rooftop bar. Short walk to the KC Streetcar, short-ish walk (through Union Station) to the WWI Museum. (Aside: prepare for STAIRS with the latter.) I didn't ask my wife how much we paid, though. :)
Sounds like it might be a good choice if/when the hubby & I ever take the Lincoln Service/Missouri River Runner out that way!

I'm traveling to Minneapolis from the West Coast later this month and have been researching hotels near the Amtrak depot there. It seems that most are several miles away, and I am unsure about taxis in the station late at night, or the availability of Uber. Anyone have any information or suggestions?

To answer the question directly of a Hotel Convenient to Amtrak; the best one that we ever encountered was The La Posada Hotel (former Harvey House) in Winslow, AZ. The station platform is in back of the hotel and you just walk into the lobby. Also along the SWC line in Las Vegas, NM there is the Castanada Hotel (another former Harvey House) just down the block from the station. IMO if you appreciate railroad history staying or even visiting these two hotels is a must. They have been restored to to their 1930's appearance and are very well maintained. Its like seeing how hotels were back in the Golden Age of Railroad travel. These were favorite spots for Hollywood movie stars and VIP's on vacations and there are long lists of famous people that lodged there

Regarding my request for recommendations for a hotel near the Amtrak Minneapolis station, I found while researching the situation that the Amtrak depot is actually in St. Paul. The formal name of the station is "St Paul - Minneapolis Union Station." I didn't know this when I first began looking and wasted a great deal of time. I now am aware of a number of nearby hotels -- I'm staying at the Intercontinental IHG hotel. Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Changing the topic momentarily from NYC, my wife and I were happy with the hotel we stayed in for our recent long weekend in Kansas City: the Crossroads.
We were in KC twice last year and thoroughly enjoyed the Hotel Kansas City (Hyatt). It's about a 10 minute free streetcar ride from Union Station. Great old historic hotel nicely restored with a cool bar.

IMG_1083X (1).jpg

IMG_1178 (1).jpg

IMG_1180D (1).jpg

Just Facebook-messaged the KC Streetcar site for hotel recommendations near the Kansas City Amtrak station. From Google Maps, that Crossroads hotel looks quite close (and convenient to the streetcar route), although there's another hotel in the area which would be cheaper (but farther away from the streetcar). Since the hubby & I just booked a Lincoln Service/Missouri River Runner trip (to replace the aborted California Zephyr trip we'd planned), we'd be arriving in KC relatively late in the evening (8:30-9:00PM), and would like to minimize walking, especially for 2 out-of-shape "seasoned citizens" in a strange city at night.

Just Facebook-messaged the KC Streetcar site for hotel recommendations near the Kansas City Amtrak station. From Google Maps, that Crossroads hotel looks quite close (and convenient to the streetcar route), although there's another hotel in the area which would be cheaper (but farther away from the streetcar). Since the hubby & I just booked a Lincoln Service/Missouri River Runner trip (to replace the aborted California Zephyr trip we'd planned), we'd be arriving in KC relatively late in the evening (8:30-9:00PM), and would like to minimize walking, especially for 2 out-of-shape "seasoned citizens" in a strange city at night.
Not knowing your budget or timeframe, I'd recommend either the Westin adjacent to the station or the Sheraton a block further away. Both used to have really good rates and packages on weekends since they serve a primarily business clientele. (Who knows if that's still a factor.) I've stayed at both and both are Marriott properties for point accumulation and redemption. There is also a Home2 Suites closer than the Crossroads you were considering. It might be a refurb of an older building and is Hilton's budget-friendly suite option. I looked at it for a trip that didn't get made unfortunately.

Not knowing your budget or timeframe, I'd recommend either the Westin adjacent to the station or the Sheraton a block further away. Both used to have really good rates and packages on weekends since they serve a primarily business clientele. (Who knows if that's still a factor.) I've stayed at both and both are Marriott properties for point accumulation and redemption. There is also a Home2 Suites closer than the Crossroads you were considering. It might be a refurb of an older building and is Hilton's budget-friendly suite option. I looked at it for a trip that didn't get made unfortunately.
We're looking at mid-week the first week of October. For the original CZ trip, we had booked a night in an Emeryville hotel across the tracks from the Amtrak station at just over $300/night, but we would prefer to spend far less in KC (ideally under $200 for 1 night). Minimizing walking is a priority, though.

Back