Hotels near NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Sarah, very descriptive article. I started to have flashbacks of one crew dormitory in particular. I stand corrected, I may have to reconsider my choice of lodging if I make it to NYC next year. I'll be heading west on the CZ first though....

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually stay at the (Wyndham) New Yorker Hotel on Eighth Avenue because of the convenient location. It's very close to Penn Station and a nice and charming hotel with classical music playing in the Lobby. (I am a huge classical music fan, or dare I say, nerd.) Penn Station has sometimes classical music in the waiting area as well.

We stayed at the New Yorker Hotel a few weeks ago and it was very nice. Rooms are smallish but comfortable. We were on the 25th floor with a great view of the Empire State Building. And being only a block from Penn Station is great. The Tick Tock Diner in the Hotel is decent and convenient (open 24 hours).

On two trips to the East Coast each of the past two winters [mid-January to early February], I've tacked on a New York excursion. Last year, I stayed at the Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Times Square at 1033 Avenue of the Americas [6th Ave] for several days. It was very adequate and typical of New York hotels (don't expect a lot of space to congregate outside of the actual public spaces). This year, I stayed at the SpringHill Suties New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue at 25 West 37th St (next door to the Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Midtown Manhattan/Fifth Avenue) and even extended my stay for a night or two after my arrival at still decent rates. In each case, the rate per night was cheaper [$150 or less] than what I paid in other cities on my trip (last year in Boston, this year in Atlanta). The rooms in each hotel were about half the size of their counterparts in other places (again typical of New York), but very adequate for a solo traveler. The staff at each place was very pleasant and accommodating---more so than many of my fellow travelers. Both places are very near Bryant Park (with a brand new Whole Foods Market open this year, very convenient for snacks and some locally-sourced treats). And of course, blocks away from NYP.

Rates fluctuate wildly; April is somewhat of a shoulder month---past any winter doldrums, but not yet quite summer tourist season. It's also still in the Spring Break time frame, when there are many tours that come to New York, and thus drive up rates a bit. Be sure to check back frequently as to options and rebook as often as necessary.

Also, hotels have been getting in on the Black Friday madness with major chains offering system-wide discounts for future bookings made in the week after Thanksgiving. It's worth checking out around this time frame just in case there are other properties doing the same type of discount. As is often the standard advice around here, avoid prepaid reservations which don't allow for cancellations or changes after booking and I would avoid third-party or blind booking sites to make reservations at places which already have an in-house reservation system or affiliation.

Earlier this year, stayed at the Double Tree. 2 blocks over. The building/rooms were spotless, and had a nice view of the Empire State building.

Nothing to complain about, other then small rooms.

Earlier this year, stayed at the Double Tree. 2 blocks over. The building/rooms were spotless, and had a nice view of the Empire State building.

Nothing to complain about, other then small rooms.
Small Rooms are a staple of "Classic" Hotels and New York City where Real Estate is measured in Dollars per Centimeter!

Hotel Pennsylvania is a mess because it's been *half* refurbished on several occasions. It's a crapshoot which floor you get. Some floors are nice, other floors are literally rat-infested. The management has never gotten their act together and managed to *finish* the refurbishment. It's sad.

My go-to cheap hotels *really* near NYP were the Manhattan West Hotel and Riff Chelsea. Both are *walkups* (no elevator) with bathrooms down the hall. That's why they're often cheap on days when other hotels aren't. They were perfectly respectable safe clean hotels, though I've heard bad things about a recent change of management at the Manhattan West.

There's also a Holiday Inn two blocks south of NYP and a Fairfield one block west which are sometimes cheaper and nicer.

(I've actually started going more upscale, and further away from NYP, since I discovered my polyester allergy, since I'm now willing to pay quite a lot extra for 100% cotton sheets so I don't have to bring my own sheets.)

Hotel Penn has been the subject of a number of proposals to redevelop the site, none of which has advanced. That results in the repetitive let's fix it up and operate it as a decent hotel, nope let's not because it won't be here cycle ...Landmarking efforts failed, Vornado was going to tear it down and build a tower decided not to, now they claim they want to restore it...if real estate booms in the area, they'll change course again......

I stayed two nights last week at Candlewood United, Jersey City, near the Newport PAth Station and was quite pleased. I could even walk to Hoboken Terminal, where I was going. The hotel overlooks the Light Rail Line.

In Manhattan, I can recommend the Kimpton Hotel Eventi, but it is probably out of your budget. Lovely hotel, but expensive, at 6th Ave. and 30th St.

Last June, my granddaughter and I stayed 2 nights at Hotel St. James on 45th street between 5th and 6th Avenues, just a half a block from Time Square. I have 3 requirements when rating a hotel--safe, clean, and comfortable. This hotel met all three. It's pretty old and the room was small, though. So if you're looking for something new and shiny, you'd be disappointed. The rate was a little under $200 per night, and when comparing other hotels in the city for those nights, it was one of the more reasonable. The desk staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. It is within walking distance of Penn Station, but I love to walk more than the average person, I've been told. I believe it was George Carlin that said "Everything is in walking distance if you have the time"

Back