Houma or New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the only thing that I can add to this discussion is to remind everyone not to tie an alligator to a fire hydrant in the State of Michigan, as it is illegal to do so. :eek: Why anyone would be walking an alligator in Michigan, much less be so inclined as to tie it to a fire hydrant, is beyond me. ;) But it is illegal!

I have just returned from a great Amtrak circle tour that included 2 nights in New Orleans - last Saturday and Sunday nights. I took a cab from the station to my small hotel in the far end of the French Quarter - $11 flat fee and $1 gas surcharge. This was standard and didn't have to be negotiated. From there, I walked throughout the Quarter (including up to North Rampart Street)..... to and from two fabulous dinners (Galatoire's and K-Paul's) and all day Sunday in the challenging heat.
You are seasoned travellers, so you know the risks of any big city. But new Orleans has sooooo much to offer, and is trying very hard to get back on its feet. In my opinion, it's a no-brainer - especially if you like fine dining, fine shopping, fine local people, and some of the most stimulating local history and culture anywhere in the USA. As seasoned travellers, you know how to behave in urban surroundings. Don't let the bad publicity intimidate. Use your common sense wherever and whenever you go, and enjoy this fabulous city.
Oh goodness..you make it sound like Utopia that it is definitely NOT and will be a long time coming. Just ask the 71 year old retired school teacher who was wrestled to the ground last year on Bourbon Street, had his lights knocked out by two of New Orleans finest because he Nlooked" like someone they were looking for. They are now both looking for new jobs. No, New Orleans is NOT the same. If you will research the present day city you will see what I mean. Crime is no where under control. During Katrina New Orleans police were filmed "appropriating" Wal-Mart TV's and DVD's.(and were never prosecuted.) Along with the "fine' dining (and we used to eat at the Rib Room in the Omni Royal Orleans at least once a month) goes uncontrollable crime. You can sign your American Express card for a "fine" dining experience and walk out the door and be cut up for fish bait...it happens every day. I'm not a pessimist; I want New Orleans to be what it was pre-Katrina. And yes, it had its share of crime as any major city does but I wouldn't arrive expecting rose petals on Canal Street. Just take one of those now infamous 9th ward tours and I think you'll see where I'm coming from. It's all so easy to avoid the obvious when you want to. This isn't bad publicity~ it's a sincere reality check. No one wants New Orleans back to what it was more than I do; we're working hard but not quite there yet...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh goodness..you make it sound like Utopia that it is definitely NOT and will be a long time coming. Just ask the 71 year old retired school teacher who was wrestled to the ground last year on Bourbon Street, had his lights knocked out by two of New Orleans finest because he Nlooked" like someone they were looking for. They are now both looking for new jobs. No, New Orleans is NOT the same. If you will research the present day city you will see what I mean. Crime is no where under control. During Katrina New Orleans police were filmed "appropriating" Wal-Mart TV's and DVD's.(and were never prosecuted.) Along with the "fine' dining (and we used to eat at the Rib Room in the Omni Royal Orleans at least once a month) goes uncontrollable crime. You can sign your American Express card for a "fine" dining experience and walk out the door and be cut up for fish bait...it happens every day. I'm not a pessimist; I want New Orleans to be what it was pre-Katrina. And yes, it had its share of crime as any major city does but I wouldn't arrive expecting rose petals on Canal Street. Just take one of those now infamous 9th ward tours and I think you'll see where I'm coming from. It's all so easy to avoid the obvious when you want to. This isn't bad publicity~ it's a sincere reality check. No one wants New Orleans back to what it was more than I do; we're working hard but not quite there yet...
I hate to make this comparison, but ... I think perhaps New Orleans has a "Green Zone", rather like Baghdad. The Green Zone isn't completely safe by any stretch, but it's *safer* to enough of an extent that it's ... on a par with Philadelphia and other moderate-crime big cities. Living in Philadelphia (400+ murders/year, many in "nice neighborhoods", some right in major transit stops) instead of New York, Chicago, etc, my standards for "city safety" are probably a lot lower than many people's. But the police presence was huge in the Quarter when I was there.

Now, many of the great restaurants are outside this area. My group went to Jacque-Imo's, highly HIGHLY recommended, but the neighborhood was ... at the time at least, and probably still, pretty durn sketchy. We drove, there were nine of us, and we went straight from the closely-parked vans into the restaurant and back out again, and it wasn't dark out. If any of those conditions weren't met (including if there were only two of us instead of nine, and especially if we left after dark even if parked close by), *I* would probably have felt unsafe, and that's saying something.

If you stay in the Green Zone, don't wander after dark, and generally Don't Be Stupid (go anywhere alone), I don't think you're putting your life on the line any more than anywhere else. If you stray, well, I agree Had8ley's warnings definitely apply. Maybe the Green Zone extends to the Garden District, the Waterfront, maybe it doesn't; that I really can't speak to. But I felt like the Quarter was pretty solid, given the police presence. (Of course, the police presence indicates strongly that the city feels it would be unsafe with fewer police....)

For the record, though, on two separate weekends our group of nine appeared to be *the only guests* at a six-story hotel in the Central Business District, a block and a half from the Quarter. The concierge and staff knew us all by name when we checked in, addressed us by name every time we came through the lobby, thanked us profusely for our business, and in five days of staying there I never saw another guest. That was a little strange, ok, a lot strange. And sad. On the other hand, *fantastic* service and they upgraded us all to luxury suites when we'd reserved regular rooms, because, well, why not? :)

......For the record, though, on two separate weekends our group of nine appeared to be *the only guests* at a six-story hotel in the Central Business District, a block and a half from the Quarter. The concierge and staff knew us all by name when we checked in, addressed us by name every time we came through the lobby, thanked us profusely for our business, and in five days of staying there I never saw another guest. That was a little strange, ok, a lot strange. And sad. On the other hand, *fantastic* service and they upgraded us all to luxury suites when we'd reserved regular rooms, because, well, why not? :)
Would you mind naming the Hotel you stayed at? We don't have a room booked yet and this sounds good. September seems to be a "peak" season and a lot of the hotels are pretty expensive for our budget.

......For the record, though, on two separate weekends our group of nine appeared to be *the only guests* at a six-story hotel in the Central Business District, a block and a half from the Quarter. The concierge and staff knew us all by name when we checked in, addressed us by name every time we came through the lobby, thanked us profusely for our business, and in five days of staying there I never saw another guest. That was a little strange, ok, a lot strange. And sad. On the other hand, *fantastic* service and they upgraded us all to luxury suites when we'd reserved regular rooms, because, well, why not? :)
Would you mind naming the Hotel you stayed at? We don't have a room booked yet and this sounds good. September seems to be a "peak" season and a lot of the hotels are pretty expensive for our budget.
Sure, it was the Quality Inn & Suites (their website for booking) at 210 O'Keefe (Google Map; as you can see, one block from Canal and the Quarter--location can't be beat!). Now, we were there in August 2007, so things may have changed, but they were excellent then. And I hope the only thing that's changed is that they've got more guests now than they did then :) This was maybe a ten-fifteen minute cab ride from NOUPT.

"An alligator is cold blooded, so if you feel a low level cool breeze it might not be a puff of wind"

You might be kidding, but really, there was a hawking cool humid wind across the prairie. I've never been that cold camping before. We did arrive at one platform near dusk so couldn't see too well until the light of the next day. I didn't test it but you could probably stand in the Oke with your head above water, it's that shallow. We're cooking breakfast when I looked over to see a well used grass "nest" that extended along the platform. At another platform that was half on land and fronted the water (like a boatdock) "Fred" kept showing up for EVERY meal. Every platform has a register that you sign so that the officials know where to start a search for you and everyone left a comment about Fred. Well, Fred's appearance (one eye above water watching your every move as you cook) was punctual at mealtimes. Fred liked to scurry up the dirt path from the water to the platform where we tied the 2 canoes.... Let me add that the alligator count of 50+ in the first hour were just the ones that we could see.

Another beautiful lowland and not far (20 miles) from an Amtrak stop (Columbia, SC) is the Congaree Swamp National Monument. Go! These are old growth trees (some national and state champion sized) that will earn your respect. This place deserves a look. It is the largest intact tract of old-growth bottomland hardwood forest in the United States. A canoe is not required to see this national treasure. In looking at the map it looks like the Amtrak route rounds the edge of this swamp between Columbia, SC and Orangeburg before going onto Denmark, SC. Lots of rr tracks on the map so am not sure. I'm not sure if this is the swamp that gave the the legendary Swamp Fox of the Revolutionary War his name or not.

Well, rename this topic, "Swamps Across the South near Amtrak". Somehow, we're going to get near the Louisiana version on the trip and tiptoe in/out New Orleans. Another thread referred to a not-to-miss restaurant near the bridge that someone, NativeSon?, ate at recently.

Had8ley, I respect your opinions but notice that your posts seem to be referring to events of over a year ago. Do you have any more recent experiences in New Orleans (last 5 months or so)?

What's an Amtrak circle tour?

"An alligator is cold blooded, so if you feel a low level cool breeze it might not be a puff of wind"

Had8ley, I respect your opinions but notice that your posts seem to be referring to events of over a year ago. Do you have any more recent experiences in New Orleans (last 5 months or so)?
I am in New Orleans at least once or twice a week; State troopers,FBI, DEA, ICE, National Guard and NOLA police are still patrolling the streets. If you feel you must go by all means don't let me stop you. Hope you have a pleasant experience.

Thanks for your comments, Had8ley. You have a point about a great portion of the city. But I don't think I was referrring to NOLA as "Utopia." And Wayman's comparison to the Green Zone might also be apt although, agreed, unfortunate. My comments were limited to the French Quarter, as I thought I made clear. Besides mentioning North Rampart Street, I should also have mentioned I didn't go west of Harrah's, except for the cab to and from Amtrak. By the way, I might also mention I am 68.

My point was only to suggest that the original posters not be "spooked" into avoiding NOLA because of these problems. In any big city in our country, regrettably, muggings can happen anywhere, anytime. They did advise they were seasoned travellers, and for those types, my comments still stand.

On a positive note, I can highly recommend the hotel I stayed at in the quiet end of the Quarter. It is Le Richelieu on Chartres, one block west of Esplanade. I was delighted to find it had not changed since the late 1970's when I last stayed there. They have a "Buy 3 nights, get the fourth free" promotion. The rooms are large and very nicely decorated in a sort of faux-Louis 14 style (although definitely not overdone). I arrived on a Saturday and found no hot water. However, the regular water was certainly warm enough for a shower and much-needed shave. (But the temperature outside was in the 90's; that wouldn't have applied in January!)

On Sunday morning, I spoke with Reception, who were very apologetic. Apparently they had been waiting all night for a replacement part for their system and were just informed it wouldn't be there until Monday morning. She offered to find me alternative accomodation or, if the lack of hot water was not a big problem, to adjust my bill. She comp'd me 100% of Saturday night ($109) and charged me only 50% for my second night ($89). Consequently, two nights cost less than $70 with breakfast and taxes. I mention this only because I believe the NOLA hospitality industry is bending over backwards to get the industry back to pre-Katrina conditions.

That area of Chartres Street is very quiet. The hotel is situated among mostly private, colonial-style dwellings. It's only one or two blocks from the French Market and Cafe du Monde. If you walk west on Chartres, you pass a lot of old buildings with historical plaques and eventually arrive right at Jackson Square. Check their website at http://www.lerichelieuhotel.com.

Mark my word: if you go to New Orleans, you will have a nice time, and you WILL NOT be shot, stabbed, or robbed.

The city has a lot to offer visitors.

It may be a cliche but it's a true one: use common sense when out and about, just like in any large city in America.

In all my years living in New Orleans, I have NEVER experienced anything that would make me weary of exploring the city. Not one time. Then again, I'm not one of those people who become paranoid when I see a news report about a murder, because I know that: a) I'm not involved in the illegal drug trade and B) I'm not going to wander around certain residential areas which are prone to crime.

Sure, the city has a crime problem. But I need to reiterate that the VAST MAJORITY of all violent crime takes place in poor residential areas, generally far away from the French Quarter, CBD, Warehouse District, etc. You hardly EVER hear about tourists or businessmen or law obiding locals being the target of violent crimes.

Please enjoy your visit to New Orleans. If you just use common sense you'll have a great trip. Don't let some people on this board scare you away from visiting. The city would welcome you with open arms.

Any questions, just email me.

"Who taught you about gators"

You know, the number of gators in New Jersey must be impressive! Mr. Harris has a lot of experience in the Southern states and has age and wisdom on his side, to boot.

You know, the number of gators in New Jersey must be impressive! Mr. Harris has a lot of experience in the Southern states and has age and wisdom on his side, to boot.
For actual, factual information, I recommend this article from 2005 on alligator attacks in the United States, broken down by location and type of injury. It provides solid research and statistics of a serious nature, but also confirms (among other things) that there is no native alligator population in either New Jersey or Michigan ;)

The only practical advice I can give about alligators is to try the alligator sausage at Jacque-Imo's, which is amazingly tasty :lol:

For actual, factual information, I recommend this article from 2005 on alligator attacks in the United States, broken down by location and type of injury. It provides solid research and statistics of a serious nature, but also confirms (among other things) that there is no native alligator population in either New Jersey or Michigan ;)

The only practical advice I can give about alligators is to try the alligator sausage at Jacque-Imo's, which is amazingly tasty :lol:
NJ GATOR tastes like Georgia CHICKEN :lol: :p

NJ GATOR tastes like Georgia CHICKEN :lol: :p
Could it be because alligators are waste disposal plants at some chicken farms AND Miz NJ, dead chickens are fed to these reptile waste machines? Bon appetite, Rail Freak!

Although, it's not particularly comforting, the Oke management posts that few attacks on humans have occurred there.

Forgive me, but why are we talking about alligators so much here? From my point of view, so long as you stay on the train, you're safe from alligators. I think Amtrak has a no pets policy, dodn't they? (LOL) Seriously, I thought thsi thread was about New Orleans and alternatives. Buon appetito!

Corvidophil3 is my girlfriend, so I'm qualified to inform you that of the past 19 years of her life, 16 of them were spent growing up in south eastern Florida. Personally, if I were you, I'd stop judging books by their covers.

*shrugs* I personally know nothing about Gators. I've never even seen one out of captivity.
That's pretty clear in your and your girlfriend's post. Again, please learn to respect the opinions of people who differ from you without attacking them. That seems to be your style and appears to be your girlfriend's as well. Read carefully what Mr. H and others are saying. They REALLY know what they are talking about... trains or alligators.

A question remains on the topic: Do updated maps (post-Katrina) NOL maps exist that are reliable?

If you're referring to street maps, the answer is Yes. After the waters subsided, the streets remained in tact for the most part. There are some good maps in the New Orleans version of "Where" magazine. You can get info on how to get the maps here: http://neworleans.wheretraveler.com/index.php

Incidentally, Mark Smith, my Sleeping Car Attendant on the CONO portion of my trip, carried copies of this magazine and gave me a copy before we arrived NOL. His service was above and beyond the call....

*shrugs* I personally know nothing about Gators. I've never even seen one out of captivity.
That's pretty clear in your and your girlfriend's post. Again, please learn to respect the opinions of people who differ from you without attacking them. That seems to be your style and appears to be your girlfriend's as well. Read carefully what Mr. H and others are saying. They REALLY know what they are talking about... trains or alligators.

A question remains on the topic: Do updated maps (post-Katrina) NOL maps exist that are reliable?
I fail to see how my girlfriend's post indicated any level of ignorance, whatsoever. Further, I don't "attack" people as you put it. I freely state my opinions, yes, but I don't attack people. As for my girlfriend she's posted, what, 8 times on this forum? I honestly can't imagine you have divined some kind of patter from those few posts. In anycase, studying animals is her main hobby, and with all due respect to Mr. Harris, whose knowledge about railroads is extensive, I personally suspect that my girlfriend is more of an expert on southern reptiles than he is.

In anycase, studying animals is her main hobby, and with all due respect to Mr. Harris, whose knowledge about railroads is extensive, I personally suspect that my girlfriend is more of an expert on southern reptiles than he is.
I won't argue your point. I just lived in the deep south most of my life and in Louisiana for about a year not including working on site in construction down in the Louisiana swamps for a few months near 30 years ago and for about 2 years after that lived in south Texas in a semi-rural area where is was nothing to find water moccasins though not alligators in the yard. I have made no study of the alligators at all other than to be sure that neither I nor my adventurous boys became a meal for them when living in or visiting areas that could reasonably be considered their home turf. Therefore, what I know is neither organized nor complete but mostly heard from those that did have to deal with the critters, and I have never pretended otherwise. Now, let's put these critters to rest.

George

A final word from me on alligators: Yahoo news article on an alligator attack near Slidell LA

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080731/ap_on_...zQoHEMTkzSs0NUE

Partial Quote (hopefull small enough to be acceptable)

An enormous alligator (11 feet long, 500 pounds), dubbed "Big Joe" by residents, attacked Devin Funck, 11, biting off his left arm at the shoulder and sparking a scramble to save the boy's life — and perhaps his arm.
Doctors at Ochsner Hospital worked Wednesday night to reattach the arm, which had been recovered from the alligator's stomach about 3 1/2 hours after the attack.

. . . .

People living in the area know about the alligators . . . . But, they weren't especially worried — alligator attacks in Louisiana are rare and usually the injuries are not serious. Only 13 fatalities were recorded nationally since 2000, and none was in Louisiana.

McCrea (Howard McCrea, 61, a St. Tammany Parish deputy and their nuisance alligator hunter) said he found Big Joe within half an hour of the attack. But it took another 2 1/2 hours to kill and land the big reptile, cut it open and retrieve the arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back