how bad are Amtrak delays?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tourist

We are travelling across US in late December/January, and (coming from Australia) we are not used to driving in snow so have decided to train rather than drive most of the way. We are going from NY to Buffalo, then to Chicago, Seattle and finally down to Emeryville.

I have read reference to the delays of Amtrak trains (particularly on the Lonely Planet forum). What should we expect? For example the train leaving Buffalo is at after 11.00pm. Are we likely to be sitting waiting at the station for hours in the middle of a (very cold) night? Are some of the legs of our journey likely to attract more delays than others?

Thanks in advance for your replies. I have found sites like this really useful in our planning.

Verona

Hi Tourist from Australia,

Welcome to the US! I'm sure you'll have a great trip; Anyway, others on the forums will likely give you more info on the east coast trains; I wouldn't think the delays would be bad. From Chicago to Seattle you'll likely be on the Empire Builder, which I've done twice. It's a wonderful ride, and in winter should be gorgeous. It's nearly always on time, so no worries there unless there's a snowstorm, I guess. The Coast Starlight Seattle to Emeryville is great, as well. Don't kinow about delays on that one. Ours was on time.

I hope you are spending at least a few days in san Francisco, my favorite city in America! And spend some time in Chicago, too. Great, friendly big city. The downtown area is safe and fun. Cold though, in winter. :)

Your decision to travel by train was a good one. It's a very enjoyable way to see the country. Just relax in the lounge car observing the countryside around you, and chat with everyday Americans on the trains.

Scott

Verona,

One critical piece of information that you need to know about riding Amtrak is that it is simply a tenant on freight railroads (except on the Northeast Corridor), meaning that Amtrak does not own or control the tracks it uses. Often, when there is a delay, it is not Amtrak's fault, but rather the fault of the host railroad. :)

I agree with Anthony here, Verona. The fac5t that Amtrak is merely a TENANT, and the freight railroads OWN the tracks outright, is a large factor in Amtrak's punctuality. Certain "host" RRs are either indifferent to Amtraks plight, or just plain hostile to Amtrak's presence over their rails.

What you read at Lonely Planet was most likely the old saw about how Amtrak is always late, or never on time. many of these posters who write that, and most of the USAmerican public, is unaware of this one highly salient fact. The freight RRs handle all of the traffic control over their own rails, and also do all of their own maintenance (not the local city or state highway department). Amtrak gets unfairly blamed for things which are well beyond its control.

Another thing that most USAmericans are completely oblivious to is the amount of freight traffic congestion on many segments of the U.S. rail system. This congestion causes traffic jams, just like on the highways. Amtraks' timeliness suffers as a result. Again, not Amtraks fault for being on heavily congested rails.

To sum it all up, it is good that you posted this question here. If you had posted something like this on Lonely Planet, you may get all sorts of answers and responses, some of whcih would be highly inaccurate.

Thank you - you have reassured me.

Scot, we are having a few days in Chicago - my daughter spent January - May there, so wants to show us around and catch up with people. We also have a few days in Seattle, and of course San Francisco before spending a couple weeks in California and seeing Grand Canyon before flying home.

Apart from the snow concern, using Amtrak will give us time to spend in places, instead if continuous driving.

And I am keen to see US by train - my father drove trains so I have a sentimental spot for them, and Ani Difranco captured it very evocatively in one of her poems.

Thanks again

Verona

My only concern on a trip of that length is making connections. Since you seem to be staying a few days at each connecting point that problem is solved. You can check online or by phone to check the status of any train to see if it on time so you don't have to wait hours for nothing.

I have been told by foreign visitors on my train trips that Amtrak is much better than their own long distance trains.

One problem with going in January are the winter or snow delays. Hopefully you won't be stuck in Buffalo, but it is an enclosed station with heat and staff members. That route between Buffalo and Chicago experienced some delays last winter due to heavy snow.

The Chicago to Seattle trip should be quite a treat. It is most always ontime. To bad it will be dark going through Glacier National Park. The only thing that could cause a delay is an avalanche or something. The flatlands of North Dakota and Montana should be pretty amazing too with snow on the ground. It will be very cold though. I live in North Dakota, and it easlily hits -40 degrees F every once in a while.

Chris

Back