How close do I cut it?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IML8RU2

Hello.

I will be taking my first train ride from Seattle to New York at the end of April. I will be riding Coach. I'm a little nervous about all of this so if anyone has any suggestions or advice I would appreciate it.

I don't know what to expect at all. I understand that I will be taking the Empire Builder and the Lake Shore. What are they like? What is the food service on these?

I am actually coming from Vancouver, and have to catch connectors both ways. The connector times suggested to me by Amtrak were only 15mins - 30mins apart. I'm not concerned about getting back home on time, but going there is an issue. Should I take the earlier train from Vancouver to Seattle to give myself a few extra hours? After hearing how late the trains often run I'm a little concerned in this area.

Thanks for your help!

I would consider taking an earlier train (if available) to Seattle to catch the Builder. If you have any delays at all while on the Cascades you'll be stuck in Seattle. Now, Amtrak shouldn't be reserving a connection that tight, as that is not a guaranteed connection (a guaranteed connection means that they guarantee you will make it on to the other train, or be reaccomodated on the next day's train with Amtrak paying for your stay over, or if need be flying you to Chicago). As far as food service goes you will find a lounge on all three trains. The Cascades features a bistro style lounge with regional specialties from the Northwest. On the Empire Builder you will find a Sightseer Lounge with food service downstairs and an observation deck upstairs that features large wraparound windows. The Lake Shore features an Amfleet II Lounge with (as of right now) 8 tables on one side and an enclosed smoking area on the other. Both the Builder and the LSL share the same cafe menu. The Empire Builder and LSL both feature a full service Dining Car. There are three different menu cycles as of right now, but I'm not sure what cycles are where right now (the menus have rotated since the cycle system began). The menus for all three cycles can be found here.

There is no "Train" connection from Vancouver to the Builder. The only train arrives 5 hours later. The 15 minute connection is a thruway bus leaving Vancouver at 12:30pm with a Seattle arrival at 4:30 with Builder out at 4:45. With border customs and possible traffic jams, you'ld be well advised to take the 8:45am thruway arriving at 12:30. Train back leaves Seattle at 7:45am with Builder arriving 10:20am, so no train there either. Several thruway bus connections back, and they will get you there when Builder arrives. Don't worry about Chicago connections - they are guaranteed and Amtrak will make sure you get where you belong.

Another thing I would recommend would be to look into taking the sleeper. Three nights across country in coach would be too much for me - there is something to be said for sleeping in a supine position versus a reclined position. Plus, the meals are included with the cost.

I returned from a round trip RDW - FTL on March 21. Had to take caoch between WAS and FTL due to the sleepers being sold out. I was able to get sleepers for the segment CHI - WAS, however, and it made a significant difference in how I felt the next day. So, my advice would be to take the sleeper at least part of the way.

Check out some of the travelogue trip reports. These trains should be covered in the various opinions of the routes.

Thanks for all your advice. It's much appreciated.

Unfortunately I cannot upgrade to a sleeper. I won the ticket on Ebay and it's "as is". As it was only $110.00 though, I guess I can't complain!

No you cannot upgrade. If you look on the ticket (and eBay) it specifically says non-upgradeable. If you try to upgrade Space Control won't allow it, since Space Control has to get the reservation number from the Conductor before an upgrade is cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back