how do I find someone to share standard

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sutton8596

Service Attendant
Hi all,

In a few months, either spring or early fall, I will be doing the north american rail pass. I want to do some segments in a standard bedroom. Any suggestions as to how I can find someone to share the cost? Do you know of any websites or anywhere else to advertise? Finding someone ON the train...has anyone tried that? Seems kind of weird, though, saying, "Hey, wanna share a bedroom?" :)

does the conductor keep a list?

Thought I'd try y'all.

Scott

The space is awfully tight in any Amtrak sleeping car accomodation to risk sharing with someone you don't know. In a viewliner, the top bunk, lower bunk issue would not be so diffilcult because of the second set of windows. In a superliner, the space is tight up there.

IN general, I would never want to share that space with someone else even if it was cheaper. I am paying for my privacy too.

I'd recommend not sharing a room unless you know the person and are comfortable being "close" to them. Especially considering that, if you search once you're *on* the train, they're not going to be too enthusiastic about paying you half the cost of the room (would sound awfully...umm...fishy).

The conductors and car attendants do have a manifest of who's supposed to be in the room.

I too would never dream of doing this. Besides my wife and kid, I do share rooms with a close friend of mine, but that's it. The little bit that you would save isn't worth the potential trouble it could cause you, especially with a stranger. In my opinion this would be about the same as picking up a hitchhiker on a freeway. A VERY BAD IDEA!

On the other hand, you might run into a very pretty female on board (assuming you're not married or otherwise committed).

I've never heard of this. Something like this might----just might---I do not lnow-------- make a little bit of sense in Europe----anybody can correct me if I am wrong. I am not quite sure how accommodations work in Europe, I think they there is some sharing with strangers, and in that case, asking a stranger ahead of time might be ok.......maybe........

But definately it does not work that way in the U.S. You travel with whomever you wish, of course,(like somebody you already know) but as for advertising for this, never heard of it. Keep in mnd that in a standard room the bathroom is open , not enclosed....you sure you really want to do that? A lot of people cannot handle that with people they DO know.

There is some kind of commercial going on at the present time in which a man and woman ask if they have to be married to do whatever it is. They are told "no". Then they ask , "Do we have to be living together to use this product?" ,and they are told "no.' Then they ask, "Do we have to know each other" and they are told "That might help". I THINK it is a car rental commercial, not sure.

There are accomodations in Europe where you're sharing overnight space with strangers but I think it's usually larger rooms where there might be up to six in the compartment. I think it's popular mostly with the young, backpacker crowd but certainly anybody can utilize it. I wouldn't want it myself and certainly wouldn't want to share a standard bedroom (now roomette?) or ANY accomodation on Amtrak. This is just not me. I'd sleep in coach before I'd ever do this (and that would save even more money!) I would think even the most outgoing, friendly, extrovert would have at least a slight feeling of uneasiness all the time.

Yes, you could meet someone who becomes a lifelong friend, lover, partner, business associate, etc. It wouldn't be worth the risk for me.

wow, thanks for the opinions, guys. Perhaps you are right. After so much European travel, and sharing with strangers, it doens't phase me at all; Ha, ha, the best idea is about the pretty girl. Oh well. I've decided to post on the travel companions part of Lonely Planet Thorn Tree; if no one answers, I'll either go alone or stay in coach.

At any rate, one month on the rails ought to be great. Ill be posting a trip report.

Cheers,

Scott

You never know, you might meet someone along the way with whom you'd want to share the latter part of your trip. You can work out all that in the lounge! :rolleyes:

It's happened to me :) Four years ago on the SWCHIEF to chicago. I had dinner with two pretty girls..all of us strangers. One of them took a liking to me. Next thing you know, I'm sitting next to her in coach. She puts her head on my shoulder. Then I remember..I'VE GOT A SLEEPER..ALREADY PAID FOR. Needless to say, she went for it..the rest is history. I DIVORCED HER THREE YEARS LATER!! :angry: :angry: BUT hey..it can happen to you!! <_<

Back