How do you go about booking a "Longest Itinerary" Trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Everydaymatters

Engineer
My wanderlust is peaked after reading replies to the "Longest Itinery You've Had" thread. I was wondering how you would even go about planning all the connections and how would you make reservations? Mapping it out sounds like a fun project.

Would it be less expensive to get a 30 day rail pass?

Let's see, Christmas is about 130 days and I know where Santa is. Maybe this year he'll get me a rail pass. :D

My wanderlust is peaked after reading replies to the "Longest Itinery You've Had" thread. I was wondering how you would even go about planning all the connections and how would you make reservations? Mapping it out sounds like a fun project.

Let's see, Christmas is about 130 days and I know where Santa is. Maybe this year he'll get me a rail pass. :D
Once I booked a trip to portland,ME, then to Boston, and then on to Chicago for a couple of days and then to LA for 4 days and then back toNYP and on to Ric VA. it took 16 days and no sleepers. It was fun. Back in the day when you could pick the train you wanted to ride on for no additional cost. The ticket cost $243 when they had a sale.

Apologies in advance if I'm "preaching to the choir" here, but start off by getting Amtrak & VIA Rail system timetables. If you're near an Amtrak station, of course you can pick up an Amtrak TT there. If not, go to amtrak.com, click on "Traveling With Amtrak" & under "Before You Ride" click on "Ordering & Contacting Our Publications". They'll mail you a timetable (& any other literature you'd like) promptly. I finally gave up on trying to find a reference for ordering a timetable on VIA's website, so give them a call at 1-888-842-7245 & ask them to send you one. When you get those, you'll be ready to plan your adventure!

The 30-day pass, the "North America Rail Pass", includes travel on Amtrak & VIA. Your trip must include one trip between the US & Canada, & you must travel on both Amtrak & VIA in your itinerary. The "Explore America Fares" divide the US into four regions; you can travel up to 45 days, with a maximum of three stopovers. The "USA Rail Pass" is available to foreign visitors only. For more info, amtrak.com, click on "Hot Deals", then "Rail Passes".

For the flexibility, I think the "North America Rail Pass" is the best deal & part of your trip could be Chicago to Toronto, then on to Vancouver, BC on VIA, down to Seattle, then to Essex, MT & the Izaak Walton Inn for a night or two (hmm, where did I see that mentioned before??), back to Chicago, then perhaps out to Sacramento on the Zephyr, take the Zephyr back to Galesburg, then the Southwest Chief to Flagstaff (or Williams for the Grand Canyon Railway). Price for the NARPass with 10% senior discount is $638.10 from 10/16/06 to 5/24/07.

From your other post about the Izaak Walton Inn, I think you'd really enjoy it. It's been about 12 years since I stayed there & it was great then. Looks like it's gotten even better. The rooms were comfortable & the food excellent, much better than I was expecting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the pass is a good thing, but it is only for the coach fare. Coach is not usually sold out except around the holidays, but the sleepers always are. So if you want sleepers for all or part of your trip, you need to build around those legs that require the most number of nights (hence the most expensive). The Empire Builder has some lower fares at different times of the week, but is the most expensive western train for sleeping accomodations.

The Starlight and Sunset are always late, so leave extra padding in there if you plan to make a circle tour of the country involving those two routes.

Find a friendly Amtrak ticket agent in a small town who is not too hurried, and can help you, because each segment has to be entered into the system separately, even though the coach fare is all governed by the pass. It helps to have the pass number already in hand, but as I recall it is not absolutely essential, you can come back in and plug the pass number in on the reservations later, especially on the Canadian part. It is quite timeconsuming and painstaking, both for the traveler, and for the ticket agent.

I do recommend the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver definitely should be part of your trip. It is subject to seasonal pricing fluctuations too, catch it right after Labor Day and it is a bargain. The Canadian part is still a little cheaper too due to currency differences, although the Canadian dollar has gained a lot since the last time I went.

With the North America Rail Pass, are you allowed to cross the same place twice? I mean like could you go through Chicago once to go to Texas, then up from New Orleans back to Chicago and from Chicago to another destination?

Years ago, my parents had a Greyhound <_< pass that was 99 days for $99, but they weren't allowed to go through the same city more than once.

JamesBrown went to Churchill. Oh, how I'd love to go there!

In answer to your question, you can travel through the same station more than once, although I believe there is a limit to how many times you can pass between the same pair of cities (max 4 I think, to stop people commuting with the pass).

My NARP adventure began, as already suggested, with the Amtrak system timetable. Some people work differently, but with a pad of paper, a cup of tea and my Lonely Planet USA guidebook, I began to try out all sorts of combinations. Thirty days is a long time, but don't try to do everything: think hard about where you want to go, which trains you want to ride, and (importantly in my case) where you can drop in and and stay for free with friends :D

Also invest in a copy of USA by Rail. It's already slightly out of date, but it's an excellent guide to the places you'll travel through, with advice for things to look out for en route.

Incidentally, I roughed it in coach for the whole of my trip, except for the Hudson Bay to and from Churchill. Since it's not as intensively used by tourists as the Canadian, sleeper fares are comparatively cheap on this route. Food is not included in the sleeper fare (this is the only VIA train where this is the case), but even if you eat three meals a day in the restaurant car, you end up paying less than you would for two nights accomodation on the Canadian.

Travel off season, get a student discount if you can, and the NARP can be astonishing value... I think my $460 pass gave me more than $2000 worth of travel.

Even if you don't get to go this time, planning the trip is almost as much as the voyage itself!

*j* :blink:

i would invest in streetwise maps for the major cities you plan to visit. they're compact, laminated, and good for adventures on foot or on public transit. i've used the ones for DC and NYC and they are wonderful.

i'm also planning to buy a large laptop backpack, probably from ebags. i don't plan on taking a big pullman on my trip and have gaps in the route long enough to do a load of laundry. the last thing you want is to be stranded somewhere lugging around a huge suitcase. the laptop is a must for emptying the digicam, watching movies, and updating the blog.

and yes, the USA by Rail book is very helpful.

JamesBrown - what time of year were you in Churchill? I've wanted to go there for years. Your fare of $460 is a lot less than I expected.

Dave, good idea about stopping places long enough to do some laundry. When I went to Alaska I was overburdened with a huge suitcase, plus a couple of carryons.

I have friends on both coasts - D.C. and Seattle - who have invited me to come and visit them. Maybe I'll take them up on their offers.

James, was it pretty miserable being on coach so much?

I can't do this in 2006 because I'm already getting a guilt complex about taking two great trips this year - Alaska in May and Las Vegas in October. I'd better cool it for awhile and plan on next year or the year after.

If Santa is going to pay, then you might consider traveling in the early months of the year. I have found quite a bit of difference with sleeper prices, when trying to construct a multi city trip, and have found that by traveling on the most expensive two night legs on say, a Tuesday, I could maybe save hundreds of dollars against doing the same trip on a Friday. The Empire builder always has had cheaper sleepers early in the year. Doing an itinery in reverse can save money too! Whether the cold weather makes a difference to your enjoyment is another matter! As other have said, do allow a sensible amount of slack or "off the train" time in your plans to alow for delays in connections, etc.

SLH

(Given its timekeeping record, Amtrak should adopt the motto "It's better to travel in hope than to arrive"!)

JamesBrown - what time of year were you in Churchill? I've wanted to go there for years. Your fare of $460 is a lot less than I expected.
I left Winnipeg on Sunday 7 May and arrived in Churchill on the morning of Tuesday 9 May. I spent the day there and came right back that night, arriving in Winnipeg on Thursday 11 May. The town of Churchill and the Hudson Bay train are busiest with tourists during the summer (for whale expeditions) and winter (for polar bears etc). In between there really isn't much to do; for me the journey was the reason for the trip. However the Hudson Bay was still frozen over at that time, which made for an astonishing once-a-lifetime sight...

http://jamesbrownontherails.blogspot.com/2...ozen-ocean.html

Less than two weeks earlier, I had been walking on the beach in Santa Barbara, CA... quite a contrast!

And I'm very sorry to break the bad news about the fares, but that's what I paid before the last round of price increases (in March of this year I believe) for a low season pass with a student discount. Amtrak sell the NARP as follows (in US dollars):

Peak season (May 26, 2006 - October 15, 2006): $999 adult, $899.10 seniors, students and children

Off peak season (October 16, 2006 - May 24, 2007): $709 adult, $638.10 seniors, students and children

All the info is here.

If you're coming from outside the USA or Canada, consider buying the pass from VIA Rail, because you may get a better rate of exchange. Their prices for the same pass in Canadian dollars are:

Peak season (May 26, 2006 - October 15, 2006): $1149 adult, $1034 seniors, students and children

Off peak season (October 16, 2006 - May 24, 2007): $815 adult, $734 seniors, students and children

Dave, good idea about stopping places long enough to do some laundry. When I went to Alaska I was overburdened with a huge suitcase, plus a couple of carryons.
I have friends on both coasts - D.C. and Seattle - who have invited me to come and visit them. Maybe I'll take them up on their offers.
In Chicago, Denver, Toronto and Halifax, I stayed for free on the couches, sofa beds and floors of members of the Hospitality Club, an excellent free hosting exchange. You'll find me there, with the same user ID.

James, was it pretty miserable being on coach so much?
For me, no, because I'm young, flexible and still don't mind roughing it. I also survive on comparatively short sleeps: even in a nice soft double bed, six hours is a luxury for me. As you get older (or should I say, 'more travelled'...) you begin to appreciate your creature comforts more. It is for you to decide: I found that with a few inflatable pillows, an eye mask, some ear plugs and a blanket, I slept ok in coach. Consider starting your NARP adventure in Canada, because VIA Rail hand out all of the above for free to coach passengers (or as they like to call it, 'Comfort Class' !)

I can't do this in 2006 because I'm already getting a guilt complex about taking two great trips this year - Alaska in May and Las Vegas in October. I'd better cool it for awhile and plan on next year or the year after.
Er, I don't know about you, but I'm having trouble understanding why you could possibly feel guilty? Does somebody slay a kitten everytime you treat yourself to a trip? :D

*j*

No, no slayed kittens :blink: I really need new carpeting. What I have is very old and terribly worn out. But I keep taking these trips instead of taking care of the homefront :eek: Money always seems to be tight, but I keep taking these trips. Price of heating is more than we can afford, but I keep taking these trips.

Get the picture? I can't seem to get my priorities straight. :p

Anyhow, back to Churchill, I prefer to travel offseason and early May is my preference. Were there any bears hanging around? What was the weather?

I don't know how comfortable I'd be sleeping in coach for days at a time, but with prices of sleepers, I don't have much choice. Usually I can sleep pretty good the second night in coach, but not the first night. I've never been on a train more than 2 nights.

What an experience. I envy you, James. I've got to do it. The heck with the carpeting and heating and gasoline and all the other bills!

Aloha

Las vegas in October, I will be there about the same time. Wish I could get there on a train, are you going there by rail?

Mahalo

Yes, I'm going by rail. Amtrak is connecting with a bus in Kingman. It gets into LasVegas in the middle of the night - or I should say early a.m.
Now I Remember your other posts, Seems we mis by a day or so. But If you are there from Sunday Oct 8 - 11 we can meet and Have dinner or something.

Aloha - Mahalo

Eric

I'll be there later in the month.

It's funny how I'm not terribly excited about this trip. It seems the more train trips I take, the less excited I get.

When I had to go to Washington D.C. all the time, I wouldn't even think about it until the morning I was leaving. Then I'd start looking forward to the trip. I supposed that maybe Amtrak is getting to be like a comfortable old shoe to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back