How do you know how to book a GOOD one zone agr trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I agree it's best to be conservative where credit cards are concerned. Gotta pay those bills in full when they come!

I'm afraid I wouldn't meet the $3,000 in 3 months requirement right now, even putting all the everyday expenses on it. Wish I'd gotten it last year, though, because I would have then.

The $95 yearly fee on the Chase Sapphire Preffered card also includes a 7% dividend on all points earned over the year (even double points). If you spend enough, the $95 is much cheaper than buying points from AGR even with the 30% bonus.

Does anyone else find it impossible to cancel a card when the issuer freaks out when you call to cancel? I have a never used AmEx that got me a smallish signing bonus but no other advantages, so stopped using. Called to cancel and found that was not possible so the line of credit is open even though the card was cut up before I placed the call.

I've never run into that (although that reminds me I need to call an cancel my Sirius account, which is equally painful).

I think if you send them a letter saying to close the account they'll have to do it.

Don't forget "manufactured spending". Do you have taxes you can pay? Prepay your cell phone bill a few months or even a year in the future? How about other utilities? Do you go to chain stores like gas stations, restaurants, or clothing stores (gift cards)? Even with the fees to pay taxes, for instance (1.89%) it compares very well to buying points through AGR or the mythical "points run" (although you don't get tier qualifying points through spending, unlike through riding).

Back