How do you know how to book a GOOD one zone agr trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a few searches and I can't find anything that explains it to me.

So would you guys be so kind as to give me (and others, I'm sure) a nice, bullet point, primer?

If there's a thread/info somewhere, point me to it.

I'm interested in one zone trips from Chicago.

Can I originate and terminate there?

I have no problem paying for part of my trip either.

My interpretation of the awards were kind of like the rail pass, one zone is like one segment but I'm obviously wrong.

I just don't get it but I've got points and I'm excited! :)

TIA

So here's the deal.

AGR awards are one way, so they can either originate or terminate there, but not both (unless you book two awards). Since you live in MI and that is in the central zone as well, you can also start/end your trip at your home station and not have to pay the cost of getting to or from Chicago.

Look at the map on the AGR website, and you can book an award to any other city in the central zone.

probably the longest trip you should be able to book is chicago to atlanta by way of new orleans. you have to pay for your overnight (both coming and going in new orelans) but you do have a few hours to look around on each layover. should be 15k points each way(chicago to atlanta and return) for a roomette for 1 or 2 people. both the city of new orleans and the crescent we have found to be nice trips

Nutshell:

By and large, America is divided into 3 zones*.

• The Eastern Zone is basically everything in the Eastern Time Zone. Trains cross the zone boundary at Mobile, Atlanta, Cincinnati, and Toledo.
  • The Western Zone is everything west of the Rockies. Trains cross the zone boundary at El Paso, Albuquerque, Denver, and Wolf Point (MT).
  • The Central Zone is in between.
So, a 2 zone trip is any trip within 2 zones. For example, you could book a 2-zone reward trip from Chicago to Miami. That would involve 2 trains (the Capitol Limited and the Silver Meteor). You could book a 2-zone trip from San Diego to Toledo (Pacific Surfliner + Southwest Chief + Capitol Limited).

A 1-zone trip is any trip within 1 zone. For example, the City of New Orleans between Chicago and New Orleans. Or the Coast Starlight between Los Angeles and Seattle. It can involve multiple trains, too. For example, a trip from Toldeo to Denver (Capitol Limited + California Zephyr).

*There's also a Northeast Zone that is sort of an overlay zone within the Eastern Zone.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

What you're telling me is pretty much what I thought but then I read lspolkom's trip report about a one zone trip that sounded like a lot of fun.

Houston to Los Angeles on the Sunset Limited, Los Angeles to Portland on the Coast Starlight, and finally Portland to St. Paul on the Empire Builder

Trip Report here

I'd like to accomplish something like that.

Would it be feasible for me to visit family in Dallas on my own dime and duplicate lspolkom's trip except end my trip in Michigan with agr?

Eh, I think I'm understanding better.

I'd probably get routed right back on to the TE - right?

I'd love to figure out ways to get the most bang for my points in a roomette.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, upon reading further and with the helpful input in this thread....

I've figured that it Arrow accepts it, it's a valid connection.

Where it begins and ends determines the zone level

I found that if I want to take a nice long trip on the CS, I'd have to get myself down to SAS and end the trip in MSP and not CHI otherwise, I wind up back on the TE.

Now you're getting the hang of it.

The only catch is that AGR has taken to charging based not just on the endpoints, but on the zones that you travel through.

These days, most AGR agents would book the trip you link as a 2 zone, since it travels through the central and west zones.

If you want to limit yourself to a 1 zone redemption, El Paso to Wolf Point, Montana would give you the Sunset to the CS to the Empire Builder - a nice redemption, you'd just have to pay to get to El Paso and then home from Wolf Point.

Joanie, I'm from Florida & only have 35,000 pts. I want to go to see Glacier Park & have a NICE Train Ride this summer!!! So, I'm flying to Albuquerque, catching the SWC to LAX then the CS to West Glacier (WGL) for 15K pts., doing the Park Gig, then paying cash for the coach portion from West Glacier to Wolf Point (Zone Border City), then taking a 2 Zone 20,000 pt trip in a Roomette from WPT-CHI-WAS-ORL-STP!!!! Sometimes I think the planning is as much fun as the trip!?!? NAAAH!!!

Have Fun

RF

Oh, to have even 15,000 points. I'm not quite 1/2 way there. But, someday.

I think I will apply for the card the next time it has more than the standard bonus points. My financial situation is getting better each month.

May even take advantage of the 30% bonus for buying points. Not sure how much I want to spend/buy yet.

A. Blue: I bit the bullet last year and got the Amtrak Mastercard (not the Sapphire one with the fee), and have racked up more points than I thought I would have. Of course, I did buy a couple of pieces of furniture with it, which helped. I also use the card for gas, groceries, restaurants, etc. and just pay the bill in full every month.

If I had it to do over, I'd probably get the Sapphire one and cancel it after the first year. I don't like credit cards with annual fees; there are too many that don't have them! But the extra 28,000 points would be worth the one year fee, in hindsight.

I bought 10,000 pts. in Dec. and got the bonus 3,000 pts. I'm getting there! I may buy more before the current promotion ends in March, haven't decided.

I can't get many points for train travel as the closest station is Atlanta, which has only one route. Hubby and I only had a few from train travel.

Good luck accumulating your points! I am wanting to use some of mine..... :)

I base my redemptions somewhat on the amount it would have cost had I paid for it. Since you can buy points (when there is no bonus offered) for 2,75 cents a point, I use that amount as the absolute minimum I want to get. If the redemption rate is under that, I will pay for the trip. However most times I get 4–6 cents per point. (I have even received 10-12 cents per point!)

HINT: The best redemption rates are for sleepers. Even better if 2 are going, as an AGR award in a sleeper costs the same for 1 person or 2 people! The worst redemption rate is for a coach award, since these all cost less and are per person only.

I did a few searches and I can't find anything that explains it to me.So would you guys be so kind as to give me (and others, I'm sure) a nice, bullet point, primer?

If there's a thread/info somewhere, point me to it.

I'm interested in one zone trips from Chicago.

Can I originate and terminate there?

I have no problem paying for part of my trip either.

My interpretation of the awards were kind of like the rail pass, one zone is like one segment but I'm obviously wrong.

I just don't get it but I've got points and I'm excited! :)

TIA
I agree with the Info the others have already Posted, it's Fun to do Pretend Bookings and Arrange Your Own Train Trips with Points or Money! Since the Trips tend to be Longer on the Western LD Trains, the Best Deals are Generally to the West Coast from ELP/ABQ or DEN to WPT but it is a Long way from WPT-CHI, it's Overnight and tends to be Pricey if you Pay for it! Id sasy that taking a 2 Zone Award from DEN/ABQ or ELP via LAX/PDX to CBS (Lots of us have been Allowed to stay in our Rooms with a Paid Coach Ticket from CBS-CHI since Lunch is the Last Meal on the EB into CHI) is the way to go for only 5,000 more Points in a Sleeper!

It might not work for you since you are starting from the central zone, but I just saw a fabulous 1-zone award in the eastern zone in another thread (courtesy of the traveler): Miami to Maine!

If I had it to do over, I'd probably get the Sapphire one and cancel it after the first year. I don't like credit cards with annual fees; there are too many that don't have them! But the extra 28,000 points would be worth the one year fee, in hindsight.
You're not limited to just one Chase credit card. The present Chase Sapphire Preferred offer is not 28k points, but 40k, after spending $3k in three months. If you have the credit, and can make the spend, I'd get the card, use enough to get the initial bonus, and then put it in you sock drawer with a note to cancel it after eleven months.

Drat, I forgot about the spending $3k in three months. I did with the regular card, only because of the furniture purchase, but don't anticipate spending that much in three months again any time soon. My utility bills, etc., are already on bank draft and it's too much trouble to change them and then change them back. Otherwise, I would definitely go for the Sapphire because 40,000 points is certainly worth a year's fee. I didn't know you could have both cards, thanks!

Why change it back, just keep everything there and pile up the points.

$3k in a month is very doable, when you put ALL of your spending on the card.

And yeah, multiple cards rock - I have the AGR card, the Sapphire and the United MilesPlus Explorer.

40,000 points is certainly worth a year's fee.
No fee the first year, so the 40k points are free if you cancel after 11 months. But if the $1k a month spend isn't there, it isn't there. It's always best to be conservative on these things. Otherwise you start paying interest, and that quickly ruins the value of the sign-up bonus.

And yeah, multiple cards rock - I have the AGR card, the Sapphire and the United MilesPlus Explorer.
What about the Chase Freedom card? It gives 5 points per dollar in select categories, and the points earned on it can be transferred to the Sapphire Preferred card, and thence to AGR or United. Lousy sign-up bonus now, I know, but still I've gotten good value out of it. The only good thing about filling up the car now is knowing that every dollar spent on gas puts me five points closer to a trip in sleeper class.

What about the Chase Freedom card? It gives 5 points per dollar in select categories, and the points earned on it can be transferred to the Sapphire Preferred card, and thence to AGR or United. Lousy sign-up bonus now, I know, but still I've gotten good value out of it. The only good thing about filling up the car now is knowing that every dollar spent on gas puts me five points closer to a trip in sleeper class.
I think this is a good combination to have as well; I have the Freedom now, as it's a good entry-level rewards card that one can get with good but not stellar credit. I'm applying for the Sapphire now, as my Fiancee and I are at a point both in our lives and credit wise where we need a card that gives us some more flexibility, and given it's fairly extensive list of benefits, not the least being able to transfer 1:1 to major rewards programs that include the Rail (AGR), Air (United/Star Alliance), and Hotel (Mariott), I think it's a good option as it allows all of our spend to funnel into one bucket, and then get doled out according to the needs of our travel. I'm initially planning to get it for the 40k bonus (as I have some upcoming expenses I know will push me over the limit that I can pay off), and then 11 months out we'll see how much use it gets as to whether it's worth keeping another year.

~ DCTE

Back