How early can baggage be checked in?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan O

Conductor
Train leaves at 315 or so. How early can luggage be checked in at CHI Union Station? THat is provided that the train runs and it is not replaced by a bus.

DanO

I know people have checked luggage in the day before at some stations, so I'm not sure that there is a strict limit (i.e. 4 hours before like on airlines). As long as the baggage office is open, they should definitely take your bags the same day as departure and even the day before.

I am wondering what the chances are, if one checks in their luggage a day early, it will accidentally go on the day-earlier train (same train number)?

I am wondering what the chances are, if one checks in their luggage a day early, it will accidentally go on the day-earlier train (same train number)?
It likely will, actually, and will be waiting for you at your destination. Baggage matching is only required by DHS (or whatever agency regulates such things) on international trips (both air and train).

In fact, in some cases, you may want your bags to deliberately take a different train than you will. Such is the case when checking bags through to a stop on the NEC (e.g. Baltimore) when you will be riding the Regional or Acela--since most Regionals and all Acelas don't take checked bags, you would want to check your bags so they will arrive in your connecting city early enough to take a train with checked baggage service (all long-distance trains serving the NYP-WAS route) or the overnight Regional (formerly known as the Twilight Shoreliner).

In my experience, Amtrak is pretty strict about enforcing producing a claim check for people retrieving baggage, so if it makes its way to your destination a day early, it is pretty safe to sit there and await your arrival.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as the checked baggage office is open, you can check your bags. For example, if the office is open from 7 AM to 11 AM and 5 PM to 9 PM, you could check your bags at 8:30 AM for your 7:45 PM departure!

And sometimes, the bags do go on different trains than you do. A good example is you travel from NYP to CHI. You travel NYP-WAS on a Regional (which most do not offer checked baggage) and the CL from WAS -CHI. You can still check your bags in NYP - but they will go on the LSL (which does offer checked baggage).

Even if they use buses from Chicago to KC, you can still check your bags. We had buses used both ways Lamy to Boston and they got our lugage taken care of.

Thanks for the information. I should have asked that before MY trip. We just put the bags in a locker that charged $12 for 3-4 hrs while we were wandering around Chicago the last day. Actually, even leaving them at the hotel for a buck a bag would have been better. I did NOT plan that aspect well at all.

Thanks again to all,

Dan

Thanks for the information. I should have asked that before MY trip. We just put the bags in a locker that charged $12 for 3-4 hrs while we were wandering around Chicago the last day. Actually, even leaving them at the hotel for a buck a bag would have been better. I did NOT plan that aspect well at all. Thanks again to all,

Dan
Thanks for pointing this out as I may have made the same 'mistake' in an upcoming trip -- not even thinking about checking them in early! Didn't realize the lockers were that expensive!

Thanks for pointing this out as I may have made the same 'mistake' in an upcoming trip -- not even thinking about checking them in early! Didn't realize the lockers were that expensive!
$4 an hr up to $12 for several hrs I think. I am not sure. It was $12 for us and we had them in there about 4 hrs.

We were in a hotel that would have stored them for $1 a bag so that was cheaper too. Just bad planning on my part.

Dan

$4 an hr up to $12 for several hrs I think. I am not sure. It was $12 for us and we had them in there about 4 hrs.

We were in a hotel that would have stored them for $1 a bag so that was cheaper too. Just bad planning on my part.

Dan
Thanks for that information, because it may still be necessary to get a locker for carry-on items...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back