How long will they hold a reservation?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcnosse

Lead Service Attendant
I know that I can make a reservation now, and say I'll pay at the station and they'll hold my reservation, but for how long? I'm looking to do some after Christmas time travel and I would like to book it now, but don't have the money just yet (I'll have it in a couple weeks). Also, I'd like to hold out for the fall Buy Points promotion for AGR but don't want the roomettes to get all booked by then.

Alright, so maybe I'll have to wait until I have my money then at least. Then I could buy the tickets and if the fall promotion for AGR is good enough I could cancel the paid reservation and just use points...

I'm not really sure about the price, but it is not guarantee. The price is when ticket is sold, not on hold.
The prices quoted by Amtrak.com are not guaranteed, until paid in full and a confirmation is received.

However, if you call up Amtrak and make an unpaid reservation, the price is indeed guaranteed. Of course if you fail to pay for the reservation by the correct time & date, then all bets are off and you could well pay more when you try to rebook.

And generally 7 days is the max hold time that any agent will allow, unless there are certain special circumstances like the need to mail in a travel voucher.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really sure about the price, but it is not guarantee. The price is when ticket is sold, not on hold.
The prices quoted by Amtrak.com are not guaranteed, until paid in full and a confirmation is received.

However, if you call up Amtrak and make an unpaid reservation, the price is indeed guaranteed. Of course if you fail to pay for the reservation by the correct time & date, then all bets are off and you could well pay more when you try to rebook.

And generally 7 days is the max hold time that any agent will allow, unless there are certain special circumstances like the need to mail in a travel voucher.
Would one have to call them again or just go to the station agent/Quik-Trak machines and pay there?

Would one have to call them again or just go to the station agent/Quik-Trak machines and pay there?
Either method would work, as long as you do it by the cancel date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back