How many destinations can one link together on one AGR

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winterskigirl

Service Attendant
Other than not being allowed to book a circular trip or leaving/re-entering the same zone. Are there any other rules that would prohibit linking together multiple destinations on one reward?

Yes. That's what I mean. Transfers or connections from one train to another is probably a better word. I'm just trying to understand if there's a limit as to how many transfers I can make on one reward.

I know about the 23.5 hour rule and not allowing over-night stays with the exception of NOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
The agent I dealt with today led me to realize something I never knew. In the past I have traveled business class from NJ to Washington or Pittsburgh to connect with the CL on to Chicago. In all the years I have done this, I never realized that I could include the business class portion of the trip in my mileage redemption. That is I always paid for that part of the trip on my own and used mileage only for the roomette. This particular agent said she would INCLUDE the NE corridor portion within the 20,000 points redeemed for the roomette, for which I was grateful. Is this a fluke or is she indeed correct? I had assumed the 20,000 for a two-zone roomette redemption was for the roomette only and not for associated, connecting train travel.

I believe the agent you dealt with is correct. Earlier this year when I booked the Missouri River Runner from St. Louis to Kansas City, MO connecting with the Southwest Chief out to L.A. the AGR agent said, "would you like to have business class on the River Runner"? I said, "yes, I would. Is that O.K. on a connecting train using points". She said, "of course". Apparently, some agents don't offer this. I suspect that they aren't aware that the upgrade is within "AGR rules". Gray area?

The agent I dealt with today led me to realize something I never knew. In the past I have traveled business class from NJ to Washington or Pittsburgh to connect with the CL on to Chicago. In all the years I have done this, I never realized that I could include the business class portion of the trip in my mileage redemption. That is I always paid for that part of the trip on my own and used mileage only for the roomette. This particular agent said she would INCLUDE the NE corridor portion within the 20,000 points redeemed for the roomette, for which I was grateful. Is this a fluke or is she indeed correct? I had assumed the 20,000 for a two-zone roomette redemption was for the roomette only and not for associated, connecting train travel.
The agent was absolutely correct! Some agents may need to be reminded of it. Say something to the effect of, "Train ### is Business Class, Correct?"

I believe the agent you dealt with is correct. Earlier this year when I booked the Missouri River Runner from St. Louis to Kansas City, MO connecting with the Southwest Chief out to L.A. the AGR agent said, "would you like to have business class on the River Runner"? I said, "yes, I would. Is that O.K. on a connecting train using points". She said, "of course". Apparently, some agents don't offer this. I suspect that they aren't aware that the upgrade is within "AGR rules". Gray area?
Nope, explicitly stated in the rules:

Sleeping car redemptions are valid for business class accommodations, if available, on any connecting train in the itinerary (except Acela Express) that does not offer sleeping car service.
https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/info/redemptionguidelines

Back