How many have taken coach chicago to Los Angeles

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillVas

Service Attendant
Okay I have not taken coach from Chicago to Los Angeles in a long time. I have forgetton if Amtrak provides wash clothes for coach passengers or is there enough room to take a birdbath in the washrooms. I am thinking of traveling with a female friend who does not want to share a sleeper. (boo hoo )

Your thinking?

I have done it, in fact I have traveled three nghts in a coach changng in Chicago, coming from the southeast, but many years ago.

So, I lived to tell the tale. I am sure the people who deboarded before I did were not just trying to get away from me!! :D :p :D

Major point I would make is that there is nothing inherently dirty about train travel. Taking a good shower or tub bath before going to the station will go a long way toward keeping you at least "presentable".

If by "bird bath" you mean stripping down and cleaning yourself with soap and rag, not sure. One used to do that in sleeping cars, before they had showers on a large scale. My mother called those "sponge baths"--I guess it is the same thing.

Somehow I am not sure how workable that is on a coach rest room today. Hopefully others with more current experience will help.

Still, you really should not aquire too much additional dirt! Not like the old open window/steam engine days!!

I have done it, in fact I have traveled three nghts in a coach changng in Chicago, coming from the southeast, but many years ago.
So, I lived to tell the tale. I am sure the people who deboarded before I did were not just trying to get away from me!! :D :p :D

Major point I would make is that there is nothing inherently dirty about train travel. Taking a good shower or tub bath before going to the station will go a long way toward keeping you at least "presentable".

If by "bird bath" you mean stripping down and cleaning yourself with soap and rag, not sure. One used to do that in sleeping cars, before they had showers on a large scale. My mother called those "sponge baths"--I guess it is the same thing.

Somehow I am not sure how workable that is on a coach rest room today. Hopefully others with more current experience will help.

Still, you really should not aquire too much additional dirt! Not like the old open window/steam engine days!!
I am more concerned with those wonderful aromas one accumlates during a long travel regardless of

Being clean before hand.

Bill

Rest rooms on each superliner coach cars come in various sizes. From basic small to two room areas and large Handicap accessable. Plenty of room for a bird bath. In coach, you must bring your own soap, wash cloth and a small hand towel. A zip lock plastic bag works well for storing wet cloths. Brush, shave and apply deoderant and after shave lotion, change clothes and you feel like a million bucks. No excuse to have B.O. But for gosh sakes, wipe up the room for the next person. Can't believe what pigs some people are, one low life hockered in the sink and didn't even try to wash it down, unflushed toilets, water and soap suds all over the place. One coach attendent for two or three cars can never keep up. Some do try. Enjoy, Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I have not taken coach from Chicago to Los Angeles in a long time. I have forgetton if Amtrak provides wash clothes for coach passengers or is there enough room to take a birdbath in the washrooms. I am thinking of traveling with a female friend who does not want to share a sleeper. (boo hoo ) Your thinking?
I rode the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Fullerton, CA (the stop before LA) last November. BYO towel. Amtrak does not provide wash cloths. There were paper towels in the lav and pump liquid soap for the first day and a half of the train trip. All Amtrak provided was an airline sized pillow which I declined as I'd brought my own.

As to hygene, I just decided to tough it out and stink. Since my seat mate and I boarded together and rode together almost the entire trip, we just kinda "aged" together.

However, I did notice that on the lower floor of the Superliner car I was in there was a changing room. it was toward the back, where the Accessable Bedroom would be if the car was a sleeper. It had two sinks, two stools, a couch and a seperate head. One could clean up in there quite easially. I'd just plan to do it in the afternoon. If you want to clean up in the morning, plan to boot the coach passenger that is sleeping on the couch out.

The Sightseer car also has a large bathroom that could easially be used to clean up in.

Rick

However, I did notice that on the lower floor of the Superliner car I was in there was a changing room. it was toward the back, where the Accessable Bedroom would be if the car was a sleeper. It had two sinks, two stools, a couch and a seperate head. One could clean up in there quite easially. I'd just plan to do it in the afternoon. If you want to clean up in the morning, plan to boot the coach passenger that is sleeping on the couch out.
The Sightseer car also has a large bathroom that could easially be used to clean up in.
Isn't the large space you're talking about in the lower level of a Superliner coach called a "ladies' lounge"? Maybe that's just in the Superliner I.

Also, the big bathroom in the sightseer lounge is only in the Superliner II -- Superliner I has a small bathroom much like the standard restrooms in the Superliner sleepers.

Rest rooms on each superliner coach cars come in various sizes. From basic small to two room areas and large Handicap accessable. Plenty of room for a bird bath. In coach, you must bring your own soap, wash cloth and a small hand towel. A zip lock plastic bag works well for storing wet cloths. Brush, shave and apply deoderant and after shave lotion, change clothes and you feel like a million bucks. No excuse to have B.O. But for gosh sakes, wipe up the room for the next person. Can't believe what pigs some people are, one low life hockered in the sink and didn't even try to wash it down, unflushed toilets, water and soap suds all over the place. One coach attendent for two or three cars can never keep up. Some do try. Enjoy, Jim
I've used this method on one- and two- overnight trains. I find that a change in underclothes and socks is more important than changing your outer clothes. I wish some alarm would go off when folks leave the bathrooms in shambles...

Make sure your hair is short and its an easy wash with a washcloth as well...

I took a trip Cleveland-Seattle-Oakland-Cleveland a few years ago all by coach with only one night in a hotel in Seattle. Each Superliner that I traveled in had a large two room restroom where it was easy to take a sponge bath and change clothes. I had a small washcloth, small towel, soap and even a small cup to use to help wash my hair. When I was finished, I made sure the room was cleaned up from any mess I made. I also draped my towel over my luggage in the luggage rack. That may have seemed like shoddy manners but it dryed quickly since it was under the ventilation thing. As soon as it dried, I repacked it. I found that method to be easy. In fact, I've used it a few times since.

If you want to chance it a 3 a.m. shower in the sleeper is not out of the question (there is usually a good supply of towels in the shower room.) Sometimes a 5 dollar bill will get you a towel and a smile from the attendant at a more hospitable hour. All they can say is NO but the other side is you might come out of the shower room refreshed and invigorated for another day of train travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back