How many miles on Amtrak for you in 2012?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
22664 on Amtrak, LIRR and MNR are too hard to count, but probably nearing 30K counting them, and my occasional rides on Septa NJT Metrolink, and who knows what I'll ride in San Francisco later this month. I fudged the numbers a little, as it is hard to figure out how many miles exactly this year as new years 2012 was and new years 2013 will be spent on Amtrak, in motion.

My lifetime Amtrak mileage stands at 21,626 miles. I first rode Amtrak in the summer of 2005. So far, the most miles I've ridden on Amtrak in one year is 7,047 in 2011.
I have a sinking feeling that you're going to roll past me this year.
I don't know. 2013 isn't looking like a big Amtrak year for me.

I'll probably have a trip from Washington to Texas and I'm going to a conference in Seattle, but I'm not sure if I'll take the train out or back (since I've already done the Builder). It will probably depend on the number of AGR points I have plus the timing of the conference.

If I take someone with me and pay for the ticket does that count double??

PRR tells me it is 16,007 miles for me as of the end of November assuming that I remembered to report all my Amtrak journeies to OTOL.

In addition I have about 500 miles on Indian Railways, and another 800 or so miles of British Railways for the year, and 20 something miles on Israel Railway too :)

As for LIRR/NJT/MNRR/MBTA/MARC, probably a coule of thousand miles all together, but I don't know for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where can I find a mileage calculator?
I don't know of any calculators but it's easy to figure out your Amtrak mileage by using the timetables.

The route miles are on the timetables and it's easy to compute mileage between stations.

I downloaded all of them and saved them to a file.

I use the very simple, easy to use, database in Microsoft Works.

This year is 17,749 - less than half of last years 38,011. I'll have to remedy that next year!
If you do the Train Robbery and Thomas in 2 separate trips that will help. And even get you more from Philips's :giggle: :eek: :lol: Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:
Where can I find a mileage calculator?
I don't know of any calculators but it's easy to figure out your Amtrak mileage by using the timetables.

The route miles are on the timetables and it's easy to compute mileage between stations.

I downloaded all of them and saved them to a file.

I use the very simple, easy to use, database in Microsoft Works.
That's what I do. The timetables list the mileage next to each city. That's how I figured mine out. I never thought to keep a database; that's a great idea!

Ok, I don't have the mileage RVR-RVM handy (the online timetables don't list mileage like I wish they did), but excluding legs running past RVR down the Peninsula subdivision, I marked 28,401 miles through September, 2011. Adding in the Christmas trip that year, my travel for the Gathering, etc., I'm definitely over 30,000 and probably somewhere around 35,000 (maybe a bit more) on Amtrak and a little under 1000 on VIA this year. Just going by round numbers, I should definitely be past 35,000 by the end of the year; I'm hoping to knock enough down to break 50,000 next year.

Only 1560 for me this year. Just round trips CLE-WAS and CLE-CHI. Hoping to get out to the west coast next year, though.

Ok, I don't have the mileage RVR-RVM handy (the online timetables don't list mileage like I wish they did), but excluding legs running past RVR down the Peninsula subdivision, I marked 28,401 miles through September, 2011. Adding in the Christmas trip that year, my travel for the Gathering, etc., I'm definitely over 30,000 and probably somewhere around 35,000 (maybe a bit more) on Amtrak and a little under 1000 on VIA this year. Just going by round numbers, I should definitely be past 35,000 by the end of the year; I'm hoping to knock enough down to break 50,000 next year.
Eight miles, RVR-RVM. Download the system timetable. It has all the mileages.

I should keep track next year of exactly how many times I go, but a rough estimate of days off/holidays/driving for a couple weeks after Hurricane Sandy when trains were less predictable/days that I stayed over after working late, puts me at roughly 220 NYP-PHL R/T trips this year, for a total of 43,560 miles, assuming 99 miles each way, which is the driving distance. (That's 30,610 TQPs, counting monthly passes through November, plus a few Acela trips.)

Yikes.

This year I did 5,854 miles, though I initially planned on a total of 6,804. The last 950 miles were lost due to Hurricane Sandy and the Crescent and Card being cancelled. It happens. ;)

200 miles which is 200 more than most years. I expect to go from LA to Chicago and back, perhaps via the Bay Area in the next yr or two.

5,894 so far, with Chicago to Emeryville round trip coming up before New Year's. it looks like I'm just going to miss re-qualifying for Select Plus, which is a bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back