How many people if points used to book roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben_G

Service Attendant
About got enough points to book a 2 zone trip. Curious if booking a roomette if the same 20,000 points one way cover the two passengers the room hold's or what.

About got enough points to book a 2 zone trip. Curious if booking a roomette if the same 20,000 points one way cover the two passengers the room hold's or what.
Yes, it covers the room, not each person. When we book a roomette for one zone, it's 15,000 points for me and my boyfriend, not 30,000 for both of us.

Also, I'm not sure where you're traveling from, but sometimes those points will cover your connecting train as well.

For example, we take the Wolverine from Kalamazoo to Chicago, and then we take the Southwest Chief to Albuquerque.

The 15,000 points cover business class seats on the Wolverine and our roomette on the Southwest Chief.

It really is a great deal. :)

Just watch out for blackout dates. If you board on a blackout date, you can't use points, but if you're already on the train, it's fine.

Example: Let's say December 24th is a blackout date but December 23rd is not. If we board on December 23rd and arrive in Chicago on December 24th, we can still use points since our boarding date is not a blackout date.

It covers the number of recommended people in the room, based on the recommendations on Amtrak.com (2 roomette or bedroom, 4 Family Bedroom (2 adult, 2 children)).

It does *NOT* cover the max number of people allowed in the room per the Blue Book (in some cases many more than the above).

To further clarify, it covers 1) the room, 2) the rail fare for 1 or 2 passengers (including connections) if 2 are named on the award and 3) all meals in the Dining Car for both, if both are on the reservation. If a train does not offer sleepers but does offer BC, both are entitled to BC for that segment.

Thanks....is there a limit on number of trains to reach a destination ? If it shows up on the regular route point a to point b can I pick which route or is there no choice. Was looking at CDL to CHi on CONO, then SW chief to LA then north on CS to Sea. They list that as a option on the Amtrak site.

If it comes up on the website without having to use the "multi-city" routing, you can do it. If more than one comes up, you can choose.

The route you list is a valid redemption.
That's certainly true, but I've encountered agents who insist on only booking the direct route. In that case, politely hang up and call the next day. Even with AGR's new fancy published rules, things are very much YMMV.

Back