How many stations have same code as the airport? (like LAX)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An old timetable had about 29 codes per page and had 16 pages = ~ 464 codes. That is give or take a few. There are several codes not used any more but may be in the computer system. Since the Amtrak computer system is very ancient it could be the binary number of 512 might limit number of codes???s
A computer guru might know if all the possible additional stations might overload the reservation system?

Last edited:
An old timetable had about 29 codes peer page and had 16 pages = ~ 464 codes. That is give or take a few. There are several codes not used any more but may be in the computer system. Sine the Amtrak computer system is very ancient it could be the binary number of 512 might limit number of codes???s
A cocomposer guru might know if all the possible additional stations might overload the reservation system?
I don't think the problem has to do with computer memory. Amtrak station codes are three letters long and 26³ = 17,576 which is more than enough to cover every station. Two letters (676 possible codes) would still be enough but then Amtrak would have to be more creative.

I maintain an Amtrak mileage and station database for another site. The station table has 954 station records. Each of those records has a unique Amtrak 3-character code. So, there are at least 954 codes in use or recently used. And, besides passenger stations, Amtrak also uses 3-character codes for other operational facilities like shops, power substations and major interlockings. The total codes in use is likely over 1000.

Once in a while, Amtrak's reliance on their code system results in some amusing outcomes. Recently, a Keystone train was delayed at the Norfolk Southern ROY interlocking (junction of the NS Royalton Branch and the Amtrak Harrisburg line near Middletown PA). The "delayed at ROY" message was passed to the Amtrak social media team who dutifully reported that the delay of the Harrisburg to Philadelphia train was at Royal Oak MI (ROY).

IATA codes are interesting.

ORD used to be known as Orchard Field, hence the IATA code.

Then it was renamed to O'Hare, but they kept the old IATA code.

Recently, there was a proposal to rename it to Barack Obama International Airport.

Maybe they should change the IATA code to OOO (Orchard-O'Hare-Obama International)?

JFK has it easy. :)

Orlando - MCO - McCoy Field
Sioux Falls - FSD - Foss Field South Dakota

All the Canadian airports begin with a "Y" - so that throws a multi-adjustable spanner at all the VIA CPRail CN Canadian stations !
YHZ - Halifax
YQB - Quebec City
YUL - Montreal
YYZ - Toronto
YYZ - Winnipeg
YEG - Edmonton
YYC - Calgary
YVR - Vancouver

Orlando - MCO - McCoy Field
Sioux Falls - FSD - Foss Field South Dakota

All the Canadian airports begin with a "Y" - so that throws a multi-adjustable spanner at all the VIA CPRail CN Canadian stations !
YHZ - Halifax
YQB - Quebec City
YUL - Montreal
YYZ - Toronto
YYZ - Winnipeg
YEG - Edmonton
YYC - Calgary
YVR - Vancouver
VIA Rail uses their own 4-character codes.
EDMO 001.jpg

Last edited:
An old timetable had about 29 codes per page and had 16 pages = ~ 464 codes. That is give or take a few. There are several codes not used any more but may be in the computer system. Since the Amtrak computer system is very ancient it could be the binary number of 512 might limit number of codes???s
A computer guru might know if all the possible additional stations might overload the reservation system?
It is a 3 character code. There is no doubt a hard field length limit of 3 characters. Hard character field lengths were common on older systems, more modern systems use variable type string without the hard limit.

They would not have been encoded as a single binary number, but 3 individual 7 or 8 bit characters. Original ASCII character encoding was 7 bit. Expanded ASCII or UTF-8 character encoding is 8 bit, 8 bits being the commonly accepted byte length today. If I recall correctly, EBCDIC character encoding (used on IBM mainframes) also expressed characters in 7 or 8 bits.

Depending on the character encoding byte length used, the field is either 21 or 24 bits long.

The limit is 3 characters, call it 3 7 or 8 bit fields. I will use 8 bit since that is the common standard byte and the one I was used to seeing through my entire career.

CHI is:
"C" = b'01000011', x'43', d'67'
"H" = b'01001000', x'48',d'72'
"I" = b'01001001', x'49', d'73'
in ASCII/UTF-8 character encoding.

b being the raw binary, x the hexadecimal notation, the value of each half byte (4 bits), and d being 8 bit binary field expressed as a decimal number (pretty useless. Hex is what people use if they need to get down to having to deal with the raw bits).

The limit is the number of 3 character alpha or alphanumeric permutations (depending if numerics are valid characters for the field).

Alphanumeric 42,840 permutations.
Alphabetic only 15,600 permutations.

Last edited:
VIA Rail uses their own 4-character codes.
View attachment 27629
VCVR=Vancouver
TRTO=Toronto.

I wonder if VIA has codes for New York Maple Leaf points, since VIA can issue their own tickets for it. I know Amtrak has codes for Maple Leaf VIA points, like TWO for Toronto.

I know my last Maple Leaf ticket had two segments, NYP-NFB (phantom station, Niagara Falls Border) on train 63, and NFB-TWO on the Amtrak codeshare number 7098 for the VIA train 98, the VIA operated Maple Leaf.

Last edited:
Ref chicken or the egg, my best recollection is when I worked for the C&O passenger agent in Williamsburg VA in the mid 1960's, there were NO 3-letter codes for the rails but definitely YES for the airlines. The codes for rails I think came with the invention of the ARROW system for Amtrak. Williamsburg, VA rail is now WBG, but airline code is PHF (I think named for Patrick Henry Field airbase which is the airport for Williamsburg-Newport News-Hampton, etc. VA). Back in the 60"s it was still all strip rail tickets and Pullman tickets--the rail 3-letter codes did not exist
Since Arrow was (and is) a one-off adaptation of the American Airlines originated Sabre reservation system, they didn't mess with Sabre's 3 character field length, although they did introduce their own codeset for it. Those three character codes did come in with Arrow. Since the railroads' reservation and ticketing systems were mostly manual, no coding was needed. Tickets showed the city and state.

Orlando- MCO was actually McCoy air Force base. Was a SAC base with 8 alert bombers based at SW corner of the field. Original hangers west of runway were all for SAC bombers B-47s and B-52s

Now for real trivia. ORL was once the airline code for Orlando. Air service for Orlando was originally provided at what is Orlando executive airport. It is ~ 5.5 miles north of McCoy and is still there with airport code ORL. Eastern airline moved to MCO about late 1955 into a wooden terminal NE of the runway. Only airline at that time.

Last edited:
Back