How much should I worry about sunlight?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoB

Service Attendant
I've never ridden Amtrak long distance, and I'm planning a few rides within the next month or so.

First - I'll be riding the Amtrak Cascades from Vancouver to Seattle. There's a morning trip and an evening trip. I'm inclined to take the evening trip, since I'm not terribly keen on being at the station an hour prior to a 6:30 AM departure, but will I be missing out on much scenery? (This will be in the last week of April, most likely.)

Second - Continuing on a few days later from Seattle to Portland, I assume I should favor one of the daytime trips? Or is there not enough scenery for it to matter?

Third - The first week of May, tentatively, I'll be continuing on to Sacramento on the Coast Starlight and then to Denver on the California Zephyr. However, that week the CZ is apparently delayed (mostly at Salt Lake City and Grand Junction, it seems from my poking away at the booking tool) three hours, arriving in Denver at 9:38 PM rather than the usual 6:38 PM. I have no objection to spending the extra time on the train (and perhaps getting a brief stroll around Grand Junction) - if speed were my goal, I'd fly - but will I be missing out on any spectacular scenery approaching Denver? Or, on the flip side, will twilight enhance the experience?

Thanks. Feel free to answer questions I haven't asked, too.

The train ride between Pacific Central Station in Vancouver and Seattle is best done in daytime, you will run along Puget Sound into Seattle, a really nice scenic trip!( whatever you do don't take the Ambus!)

The Cascade between Seattle and Portland goes thru Tacoma, under the Narrows Bridge and after this it's mostly country till you get to Vancouver, Washington and cross the River into Portland! Again I'd say take the early train, its a nice ride on the Talgo equipment!

As for the trip on the CZ, the scenery thru the Sierras ( left side of the train from the Sightseer Lounge) into Reno is actually better than the Rockies scenery in Colorado in lots of folks opinion! Donner Lake and Pass with all the tunnels is exceptional scenery!

After you leave Grand Junction, you'll go along the Colorado River, thru Canyons etc. and see sights that can only be seen on the train or on a raft!

Glenwood Springs is a nice little mountain town with a brief stop, then you'll go through the Mountains and the long Moffat Tunnel as it gets dark, thru several more tunnels and you'll wind down the front range of the Rockies looking at the Lights of Denver spread our all over the plains in front of you!

You'll then wind through Denver and back into the remodeled Union Station which is definetly worth a look!

Nice trip, I'm envious!

I believe I would take the 8907 bus out of Vancouver at 9AM. You do have to unload your bag onto the conveyor belt at the border and go inside to get the standard questions but I think it is prefferable to arriving in SEA at 10PM (maybe later) to head to your hotel.There is plenty to enjoy in Seattle all afternoon.

Leaving Seattle if you don't like the 9:30AM Cascades, you can wait for the CS to PDX. You will enjoy the trip over the Cascades from Eugene to Chemult. It will be dark by the time you get to Chemult.

You may get to Sacramento early (before 6AM). Depending on the day of the week in SAC, I have two different restaurants to go to for breakfast. Wait in the station until at least 6:15 before hiking to breakfast.

The trip through Ruby Canyon (Utah into Colorado) is great scenery.

The Glenwood Canyon east of Glenwood Springs is even better IMO. The eastbound and westbound trains usually meet about half an hour east of the Glenwood Canyon when both are running on time.

If you are in Sleeper on the CZ, get to the Railfan Window (aassuming Sleepers are still in back) for at least part of the run through the Rockies as well as Moffat Tunnel. You may easily end up spending a good hour or so standing there captivated by the scenery and usually with no one else around.

As for the Sierra Nevadas and Donner Pass, get into the Lounge early to secure a seat; there will likely be docents from the California State Railroad Museum narrating and giving some good information.

Thanks to all for the advice (and keep it coming). Do I have access to the railfan window regardless of which car my roomette is in or am I restricted to my own car?

Just in case it wasn't clear, the railfan window is just the vestibule door that's in the back of the last car. In this case, the last sleeper. It's a sort of "reverse drivers" perspective. Record it on 8mm film and play it backwards. :)

Second - Continuing on a few days later from Seattle to Portland, I assume I should favor one of the daytime trips? Or is there not enough scenery for it to matter?
If your trip is in the next month or so, then all of the Cascades runs from Seattle to Portland will take place substantially during daylight hours. The exception would be the final departure of the day from SEA, but even that will be in daylight for all but the last half-hour or so, so I wouldn't worry about it that much. I'd just choose whichever works best for you, schedule and price-wise.

's a sort of "reverse drivers" perspective. Record it on 8mm film and play it backwards. :)
There is at least one You Tube video out there of the Empire Builder that does exactly that, to music! Very nice to view, it's a winter trip. Nearly an hour IIRC

The Cascades from Vancouver BC to Seattle has spectacular scenery. It runs along the water for probably the majority of the trip, at least it seems like it. You get great views of the bays and the islands. There are tons of birds including often, many bald eagles.

Do not take the bus instead. The Cascades for that portion is one of the most scenic routes in the system (long time Amtrak conductor told me that). I have ridden it hundreds of times. You will love it.

Make sure to get a seat on the water side! Get in line early in the station in Vancouver and tell the guy assigning seats that you've never ridden the route and want a water side seat. Hopefully it won't have a window curtain/partition right there at the seat. If it does, then as soon as you're underway, ask the conductor or attendant if you can change seats, there will probably be a better one available. Don't wait til Bellingham to change seats, the train will fill up there. And don't change seats without asking (well you could, and switch your seat check ticket above your seat, and then tell the conductor you did it (you'd have to wait til everyone was aboard and seated).

You (and all passengers) can go to any car! Exceptions are no passengers can go in the baggage car, locomotives or kitchen. Also, coach passengers can't enter the sleeping cars (normally).
I think you can go into the kitchen if your name is Casey Ryback.

Is there any way to reliably book a roomette on the scenic side of the train? (On the Coast Starlight that would presumably be the west side, correct? Which side is more scenic on the California Zephyr?)

Also, I just noticed that the Amtrak website shows Denver Union Station, including checked baggage, closing at 8:15 PM. That's fine if the CZ arrives at 6:38 PM but not if it arrives at 9:38 PM. Can I assume it will stay open late to accommodate the late arriving train, or will I be unable to check my bag?

Is the Seattle-Portland portion itself scenery-worthy? I read this thread and I can't really tell from the responses....

Is the Seattle-Portland portion itself scenery-worthy? I read this thread and I can't really tell from the responses....
Between Seattle and Olympia the train heades through Kent Valley Industry, before heading along the sound and under the Narrows. Extremely beautiful in my opinion. The scenery can get a bit dull after Olympia headed south, until Kelso/Longview. From there until Portland, the train follows the Columbia before finally crossing it after Vancouver. While arguably not the most scenic portion of the system, I wouldn't pass it up.

You can't know in advance which rooms will be on left or right side of the Coast Starlight. Sleepers may be oriented with either car end at the front

It's not a "scenic highlight" trip (Vancouver to Seattle is). But it's quite pleasant scenery in my opinion. Very rural and country. I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but it is quite nice.

Anyone debating which train to take from Vancouver.. take the early morning train. I dind't want to leave my hotel at 4:45 AM, I HATE early mornings. But watching the sunrise over the mountains in British Columbia with birds flying over the water was a magical site and WELL worth it. I hate to think how I almost missed that.

You can't know in advance which rooms will be on left or right side of the Coast Starlight. Sleepers may be oriented with either car end at the front
True. But usually the sleepers are oriented with the Bedrooms toward the locomotive / front of the train. With that knowledge, you can request a room and have a pretty good chance of getting the side that you want.

Or, as I do, just hang out in the lounge. (Gotta earn that Lounge Lizard Badge somehow!)

The capital of Albania is Tirana. (Just taking you up on your offer to answer unasked questions... ;) ).

Oops, only just noticed this thread is a year old... so feel free to ignore my unasked for answer!

Ed. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any way to reliably book a roomette on the scenic side of the train? (On the Coast Starlight that would presumably be the west side, correct? Which side is more scenic on the California Zephyr?)
Both sides of both trains have nice scenery. The best scenery changes from side to side so it doesn't really matter which side your roomette is on.

Plus, a Superliner sleeper car can be put in the consist with either end leading so you won't know until you get on the train which side your roomette is on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back