How often are there bonuses to buying points?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orie

Service Attendant
Hi all,

Currently there is an offer when buying AGR points where you get 10% for 1,000-4,500, 20% for 4,500-9,5000 and 30% for 10,000. I know during the summer there was a set 50% bonus. How often do these bonuses occur? If someone wanted to maximize points, should they buy now or is it likely there will be another promotion before the end of the year?

Thanks!

The 50% Bonus is very rare, the 30% offer is usualy done once or twice a year! I wouldn't expect any farther offers this year ( the Clock starts over Jan. 1st) so you'd be advised to buy the Points ASAP before it disappears!

Don't forget to register for the AGR Double Days Promo tomorrow ( 9/8) when its offered! Good way to rack up Points doing short points runs if they are available where you live but LD Trips are also a good way to get the Double BonusPoints too in addition to your TQP points for riding Amtrak!

Last edited by a moderator:
And remember you can only buy in a maximum of 10,000 Points plus Bonus per year. This makes it a crapshoot when there is a 30% Bonus early in the year-do you buy in now or gamble a 50% may hit later on......

Sounds like I'll end up buying them during the current promo then. The one they have now lasts until the end of September. I'll definitely remember to register for double days, I'm riding on the Palmetto Saturday. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
"Anyone else getting error trying to purchase points?"

Using SeaMonkey browser = always have a problem with that portion of website. Works using Chrome.

I have a question about buying points. I understand that each account can only receive 10,000 (plus bonus) each calendar year either via purchase or gift. If I purchase 10K (+3K) for my account, can I also purchase 10K (+3K) as a gift for my mom to go into her account? Of course she is a very generous person, so she'd probably let me take a trip with her points. ;)

I have a question about buying points. I understand that each account can only receive 10,000 (plus bonus) each calendar year either via purchase or gift. If I purchase 10K (+3K) for my account, can I also purchase 10K (+3K) as a gift for my mom to go into her account? Of course she is a very generous person, so she'd probably let me take a trip with her points. ;)
That would be fine since the Points are going into a different Kitty.

Back