How to get from King Street Station to downtown Seattle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
This will be old news for people who were at the Gathering last year. But several people have asked how to get from King Street Station to downtown Seattle by light rail. It's not obvious right now, due to the renovation at King Street. So I put together a slide show with step-by-step instructions.

BTW, I might have put this post in the "What to See" area, but there's no section for the Northwest. What's up with that?

Thank you for that!

I'm planning on an EB trip to SEA next year and I always use public transportation whenever it's available.

I'm bookmarking your slideshow to add to my trip plan.

Yes Thank You! I will be needing these directions in one month when we take the Empire Builder to Seattle and fly from Seattle to Fairbanks Alaska. It is reassuring to have the instructions.

This will be old news for people who were at the Gathering last year. But several people have asked how to get from King Street Station to downtown Seattle by light rail. It's not obvious right now, due to the renovation at King Street. So I put together a slide show with step-by-step instructions.

BTW, I might have put this post in the "What to See" area, but there's no section for the Northwest. What's up with that?
Dont want to start anything. Repeat, not starting . Is not King Street Station in downtown Seattle ?? I would go out the door to the street. Cabs, free bus zone, walking. Downtown Seattle is very compact. Hills can be somewhat of a problem. However most of the city is walkable.

Yes, I saw the part of the post that said getting to downtown by LIGHT RAIL. If thats your thing the sildeshow is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, King Street Station *is* in downtown Seattle, but it's at the south end, and many hotels and sights are further north (and uphill). It's a bit of a hike, especially with luggage.

A cab to a destination like Pike Place Market or the Westin hotel should cost less than $10. The free ride zone for buses is being discontinued in September 2012.

Also, as the renovation of the station continues, it should get easier to access the light rail once the Jackson Street entrance reopens. Not sure when that will happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the Amtrak station is at the south-end of downtown, but if you want to see downtown, don't take the light rail...it runs underground all the way thru downtown...and it costs money, even though it's in the current ride-free zone.

You wanna get into downtown? walk up the stairs right outside the Amtrak station, and pretty much take any bus headed north into downtown....for now, that's free in the ridefree zone (until september),

plus you'll actually see downtown, since you'll be at street-level.

on the other hand, if you're headed between downtown & the Seattle airport, then you should take light rail....direct connection, and it's a lot cheaper than a taxi.

Time to update this. After the King Street renovations completed in 2013, you can still connect as shown in the original slide show, or ...

Take the stairs

2013-04-24 10.13.35-XL.jpg

or the elevator

2013-04-24 10.29.11-X2.jpg

to the Jackson Street level.

2013-04-24 12.39.46-XL.jpg

Turn right, and cross two streets: 2nd Avenue Extended South (don't ask...) and 4th Avenue. You'll pass Union Station on your right (beautiful building, but no trains there any more). Then you'll see the entrance to the light rail on your right. It's not that far, and easier than it sounds, but signage is poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back