How to handle hotel/air resevations when train is delayed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faraz

Train Attendant
I am taking a big 6-day Amtrak trip to LA. According to my calculations, there is a 10% chance Ill miss one connection and thus arrive one day late. How easy would it be to modify my hotel/air reservations in LA for +1 day ? Is a 'late train' sufficent excuse to let me at least fly standby on the next flight without penalty?

I'd imagine it would depend on the airline. A Holland America cruise ship held itself at port an hour so that about a dozen people destined for that ship that were aboard the Silver Meteor could be bustituted. I'd assume a few airlines would be more sympathetic to you than others. My dad and I were two of the passengers aboard that Silver Meteor, and we have come to learn that you don't plan anything important within 24 hours of the time you are supposed to arrive somewhere via Amtrak train. We have used this as an excuse for small, unimportant mini-vacations. We stayed overnight in the Fontainebleau once and met with some old friends, then took an early morning tour of some swamps while waiting for my mothers flight to get in.

My philosophy is: if I take the train, I put in atleast a day of nonsense padding into my vacation schedule to allow for a delayed train. If I don't have time to add that into my schedule, I don't have time for a vacation.

I agree that some airlines may cut some slack, but I think many would say "NO!" :( They may not consider a train as a "way for transportation". (After all, they may not excuse traffic, detours, a flat tire or even standing in line as a reason for missing a flight or missing a deadline for checking in! :rolleyes: )

What I would do is check your progress. Such as when you get to Yuma (or wherever), and you see you're ___ hours late, and you can't make your connection or hotel, I personally would call them and see what they suggest. (I would do this especially in the case such as my train is scheduled to arrive at 1 PM and I made a hotel reservation but did not confirm it. I see that the train is running 5 or 6 hours late, and they will cancel my room res at 6 PM. I'll call the hotel to guarantee the room.)

In GML's example, the cruise line delayed departure for Amtrak, because Amtrak was an offered travel option. But even at an airport, (I'm just picking any names) Southwest may not care that your Delta flight is late or Northwest may not care that your United flight will arrive 2 hours late.

I am taking a big 6-day Amtrak trip to LA. According to my calculations, there is a 10% chance Ill miss one connection and thus arrive one day late. How easy would it be to modify my hotel/air reservations in LA for +1 day ? Is a 'late train' sufficent excuse to let me at least fly standby on the next flight without penalty?
Aloha

Since most hotels allow 24 hour cancellation without penalty and even a Holiday Inn in Seattle that denied train service amended my arrival call from the train to a "late Arrival" you should be ok just keep the Hotels direct number with you. Especially if you must say cancel one night without penalty.

It depends on the airline. Southwest is among the most liberal for changes and will allow you to fully credit the unused fare toward a later flight. However, buying a flight at the last minute means you must buy a "walk-up" fare that could be two to three times the cost of the advance purchase fare you credited. Most other airlines will also charge you a "change fee" of $100 in addition to the higher ticket cost, and for some of the traditional airlines on routes not served by a low cost carrier, the walk-up fare may be astonishingly high. In all cases, you must cancel your original travel before your reserved flight departs. If you do not, your ticket value may be lost entirely.

As was mentioned, a one day buffer is always a good idea when transferring from an Amtrak long distance train to a flight. Assuming that is not an option, just watch your progress and if things look bad, call your airline and beg for sympathy. Maybe they would at least waive the change fee if you sounded beaten and bedraggled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best Guess:

Airline - provide standby for the next flight, confirmed for a 'small fee'. But your fare code will determine that. Be VERY nice to the agent however, and hope for the best. The 1-800 numbers usually can't do a whole lot, but they might be able to block 'standby' for you if you explain you are running late.

Hotel - most have a cancellation policy, some even 6pm that day. Find out and plan that call ahead to amend the reservation. Better yet, make TWO reservations, one for the one night and the second for the remainder. That way they will not cancel the entire reservation. It is easy to amend a reservation +/- 1 day, IF IF IF rooms are available.

The only time that I missed a connection, Amtrak put me up in a hotel in Chicago and flew me out the next day. Others have related that, when possible, Amtrak will bus you to catch-up with the train.

What's your itinerary look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back