How was Amtrak able to Pull this off? NB 98

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cuppb001

Train Attendant
So each day on my way home from work I text that trusty number that gives me train status for 98 and 89. If I see that 89 is atleast an hour or more delayed then I check 98 to see how bad it is delayed. Well last night 89 was delayed almost 2 hours coming into YEM SC. With the Meteor only delayed an hour I am able to catch 98 in SAV to YEM and catch 89 back. (Usually a 10-15 min layover. $15 each way point run. Catch dinner on 98 eat it on 89 home) If 89 is running on time the connection is not possible. Ok back to my point. About 10 mins outside of YEM the conductor informs me that 89 picked up lost time and has the station slot for YEM ahead of 98. She told me though not to worry that they will work something out. Well I don't know how they did it but 98 ended up approaching YEM from the outside track and let the passengers off on the street. After 98 pulled away, 89 approached on the track closest to the station stopping on the platform. How did the Amtrak conductor have the power to further delay 89 and coordinate a track change with CSX on such last minute notice and allow me to make my connection? She went way above and beyond her call of duty. I attempted to offer her gratuity which she politely refused.

Side Note: The diner on 98 had beautiful flowers on each table. The LSA said she bought them personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be that this was worked out with the CSX dispatcher to minimize delays to both trains. Could also be that it would have been done with or without you trying to make the connection so as to avoid the need to run one or both trains through crossovers. (I have no idea of the track layout in that area so this last may not be valid.)

It is not customary to tip operating crews. The lady sounds like a fine crew member. I am sure she appreciated your thanks. I think most conductors would not accept gratuities, and it might be against the rules. ( I did tip a Megabus driver once, as he was excellent. )

Eric, I usually tip the attendants on the Acela, particularly in First Class.

I see other passengers tipping, so I do as well. On a trip from New York

to Boston or Washington, I tip $5.

Could be that this was worked out with the CSX dispatcher to minimize delays to both trains. Could also be that it would have been done with or without you trying to make the connection so as to avoid the need to run one or both trains through crossovers. (I have no idea of the track layout in that area so this last may not be valid.)
Your guess is correct. The only way they could have got both trains to use the platform track is to delay one train excessively and then also hold up a bunch of freight trains on both tracks while they maneuvered the passengers to the platform track. No sane dispatcher was going to do that. The little bit of adjustment they might have made to accommodate the OP is to make sure that 98 does its station work before 89 and not the other way round, since apparently both arrived at very close to the same time.

To be clear, "Operating" crews, or "T&E" (Train & Engine) crews are responsible for getting the train over the railroad in compliance with all rules and instructions from the dispatcher. It is not customary to tip them. I don't know whether it is forbidden. "OBS" (Onboard Service) employees are not qualified to perform operating functions. They provide service to the passengers in the form of meal or snack/beverage service in diners and lounges, and they serve as sleeping car attendants or coach attendants, seeing to the needs of passengers. Tipping of OBS employees is permitted, and is customary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back