How would you design a new type of Viewliner?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakadirondack

Lead Service Attendant
How would you design a new type of Viewliner? I would make a "Crewliner" (Crew-liner) that would be a Viewliner with all standard rooms for the crew. I would have a "Viewdiner" (View-Diner) that would be like the Viewliner diner, but have a 12-inch TV at each table mounted on the wall. I would have a "Viewcoach" (View-Coach), a Viewliner model with the Mini-windows above every main window, like the Viewliner Sleeper. I would have a "Viewlounge" (View-Lounge) that would have wraparound windows, like on the Superliner Lounge car. And last, but not least, a “Smokeliner” (Smoke-liner)(I know, not the best name); it would be a Smoker Car at the end of the train. That’s how I would design the new Viewliners. :) :) :)

Ps: I think Member “Viewliner” will like this one. :D :D :D

Member,

Amtrakadirondack :)

I would bring back something akin to the slumbercoach, at very least a cheaper accommodation for people traveling alone.

Then in the rooms that are for two people, I would lose the in-room toilet. Bodily functions involving the toilet are simply private, and should not be performed next to where the passenger or his/her travel partner are sitting or sleeping.

Next, simplify all those buttons, switches, dials, etc. There are too many of them, and they are not clearly marked as to what they do. Perhaps they can do with fewer of them.

And as was mentioned in another thread, get the full fleet going, that is Viewliner sleepers, diners, lounges, coaches, and crew facilities, so that we have a uniform, respectable-looking train.

Actually I kind of liked Amfleet's designs for a new Viewliner fleet. I'm not sure if he's still got them posted on the net though or not, I couldn't find them. However I thought his designs were quite nice. :)

AlanB said:
Actually I kind of liked Amfleet's designs for a new Viewliner fleet. I'm not sure if he's still got them posted on the net though or not, I couldn't find them. However I thought his designs were quite nice. :)
I did do exterior drawings of Viewliners if anybody is interested.

AlanB said:
I still have them saved on my computer. I do an uploaded since the topic was brought up again. :)

Here they are. :)

jss_viewlinerbaggage.jpg

jss_viewlinersleepingcar.jpg

jss_viewlinercrewcar.jpg

jss_viewlinerdiningcar.jpg

jss_viewlinerlounge.jpg

jss_viewlinercoachsmoking.jpg

jss_viewlinercoach.jpg

I still don't agree with the idea of a Smoking Coach in the single level fleet. The reason why baggage coaches were converted was because that area was being underutilized, but there area is valuable space that can be used for revenue.

battalion51 said:
I still don't agree with the idea of a Smoking Coach in the single level fleet. The reason why baggage coaches were converted was because that area was being underutilized, but there area is valuable space that can be used for revenue.
Smoking lounges will ease anger of passengers who will keep bugging the crews for a smoke at the next station. Even deiganted smoke stops every 3 hours are too long of a time for someone to wait for a fix. In a way having a set smoking room on the train may boost revenue. Now, I will admit that my design involes one half of the car being utalized as a smoking room, so I can cut down the length.

If the smoking lounges are built they need to be the 40 car in the trainset, as a large percentage of the lounge's revenue comes from smokers, so we may as well put the bait near the fish.

battalion51 said:
If the smoking lounges are built they need to be the 40 car in the trainset, as a large percentage of the lounge's revenue comes from smokers, so we may as well put the bait near the fish.
That's what I was thinking. If the A end of the Coach Smoking is coupled to the "B" end of the Lounge then it can still act as part of the Lounge without effecting capacity.

Actually I think that all B-ends should go forward. With the sleepers having a-end forward, the rest of the train should go B-end forward.

Well, the A end of the Coach Smoking would always have to be forward because you would not want to disturb passengers in the Coach section when walking from the Lounge to the "penalty box".

Some people I talk to whoe smokers or traveled with one and had an Amtrak Sleeping Room said that there should be a "Smoker Sleeper", but I tell them back in '82 a Superliner I Sleeper burned and was scrapped from somebody Smoking, but I don’t think Amtrak allowed Smoking in the Cars anyway, but I not sure. So even if a whole bunch of Smokers started a rally against it, I don’t think Amtrak would change.

But if anybody knows if Amtrak did allow Smoking in the Cars I would like to know, just curious about it. ;)

Well I'm pretty sure that intially Amtrak allowed Smoking in Heritage Cars (Sleepers) as it could help to partially explain the cigarette odor in the Dorms (the other part being that some crews smoke in them.

The Crew Dorms (as well as baggage cars) are the spot where crewmen usually go to smoke, mostly because they do it to relax, and don't want to be bugged by passengers while they smoke. Cabs (for obvious reasons) is the hot spot for Engineers.

Confession to make---I am one of those horrible people who USED to smoke---I quit probably 15 or so years ago....I do not know remember exactly what kind of equipment but I did definatley smoke not only in my sleeper....I think at one time we could even smoke in the diner. Can't stand the smell now.....believe me.....good to have that habit behind me. But I do think the further back you go the fewer restrictions there were to smoking on the train or anywhere else.

But to answer the question directly, yes, I definately did smoke in the sleeper well into the Amtrak era., whether it was the old equipment which became designated as "heritage" or what I do not remember. .

Bill, glad you kicked the habit. For one thing, its more money you can spend on other things (like Amtrak). I'm sure your timetables will tell you the smoking policies over the Amtrak era.

Thanks Viewliner.

One bad habit down---15 to go !!

The more I think about it people really did smoke anywhere, even in the coaches. Yes, coaches, planes and buses were all completely open to smoking at one time. Offices were completely open to it, so I polluted that atmosphere also.

You know in a sleeping car room where there is a vent just under the window that you open and close for how much air you want coming in? Well, the ashtray was a devise similar to that. you opened and closed it in much the same way. And they had some devices in the sleeping car rooms and in the coaches.

In lounge cars, the ash tray was more like a standing model, like you might see in a doctor's office.

The anti-smoking thing was not started by the railroads at all, but by society. So it gradually began happening with Amtrak, through the years.

I have a question, for the coaches, is it at all possible to have a second row of windows given the issue of overhead luggage racks?

I've discussed this with a few people out there. They say the second row of windows should be there. They believe the luggage rack would be spotted up similarly to the upper berth of a sleeper when it's in the down position. The theory behind this is that it will let more natural light into the car, making people feel less confined.

battalion51 said:
I've discussed this with a few people out there. They say the second row of windows should be there. They believe the luggage rack would be spotted up similarly to the upper berth of a sleeper when it's in the down position. The theory behind this is that it will let more natural light into the car, making people feel less confined.
Yes, I guess that makes sense. I'm hoping to maybe kitbash a Viewliner Fleet soon, and will use that as a design.

Amfleet said:
Will light however damage any of the luggage, fading maybe? Otherwise, I think it would be wise for a second set of windows in the Coaches.
I don't see how it would cause it to fade that quickly. Granted, it may warm the bags up from the sunlight, and possibly be a little more difficult to cool the car down. I think that there should also be a little room for luggage as put into Amfleet's Plans.

Battalion, have you seen the (fmr) 26053 lately? If you see it, can you photograph the luggage area the car has?

As a matter of fact I had the 25053 in consist on 91 yesterday. It probably went out on 92 today, so I may catch it when I ride 91 on Sunday.

battalion51 said:
As a matter of fact I had the 25053 in consist on 91 yesterday. It probably went out on 92 today, so I may catch it when I ride 91 on Sunday.
Good, looking forward to seeing the photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back