How would you design a new type of Viewliner?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few other additional thoughts to the upper-level windows in the coaches. Keeping the car cool should not be a problem as the rooms in a Viewliner sleeper stay cool. However, I was thinking it may be wise to put extra tinting on the upper windows so passengers don't get blinded if the sun is shinning brightly (I've notice this in the Sightseer Lounge).

F59 PHI said:
They should make a viewliner slumbercoach
I think with todays world with more people going for the open feel that these slumbercoaches just wouldn't sell. If another class were added I think it should be a Business Class style car with 2-1 seating, a shower at one end, a full sized pillow, lightweight blanket, and non-alcoholic drinks and meals in the diner included on the ticket.

Amfleet--0ne thing about the slumbercoaches. They were even more cheap than they were small. A single room slumbercoach was a glorified broom closet, to be sure. ---though it did enable you to use the toilet at night without raising and lowering the bed....something most earlier-built roomettes did not allow(the roomette bed usually covered the entire space when it was down). A doubleroom slumbercoach was not so bad.

Here might be a hypothetical price. Say from point A to point B that a coach cost was $100, and a roomette maybe $180. Well.....as I remember it.....a slumbercoach in such a hypothetical case might be in the $120 range....I mean they were closer to coach in cost than to sleeper.

Viewliner said:
AlanB said:
Actually I kind of liked Amfleet's designs for a new Viewliner fleet.  I'm not sure if he's still got them posted on the net though or not, I couldn't find them.  However I thought his designs were quite nice.   :)
I did do exterior drawings of Viewliners if anybody is interested.
I'm interested, are they on you're website? ;)

I have an idea for a first or business class car for runs such as the Palmetto which have no sleeper. Something with seats similar to the first class flat folding seats found on Singapore Airlines in either a 2x2 or 2x1 configuration as seen on the Acela, with luggage bins similar as to what is found on a plane to keep luggage secure during the ride. As for capacity probably due to the size of the seats it would be limited to a maximum of 30. Whether this is cost effective is another thing entirely.

Well my design for a sleeper has a capacity for 26 passengers, so a Business Class type coach with 2-1 seating and a capacity for 35-40 passengers would not be so bad. The car could include a shower at one end, at the other 2 restrooms, and a little area where passengers could serve themselves complementary coffee, soda, and juice. Each seat would have a foot rest, calf rest, personal audio and video entertainment. The only thing not included would be a bed at night and free meals in the Dining Car. Maybe instead of paying full price for a meal however, passengers in Business Class could get a 25-50% discount.

Whoa whoa whoa there cowboy. Have you checked you capacities lately. A full Viewliner comfortably holds 30, while a coach holds 60. How about a happy marriage somewhere in the 45 range.

Well I was going with my capacities, but your right 45 seats is good for a Business Class car as that is the capacity for Acela Expresses First Class car. You'll notice that my coaches hold 62, but the sleepers only 26 because I opened up the floor plan, unlike todays Viewliner where things seems somewhat cramped.

I personally find the Viewliners quite roomy. If I have the choice between coach and a Viewliner, I'll take that Viewliner any day of the week. Many people don't realize how roomy even the Standard Rooms are, but if my Mom and I can get along in that space for 24 hours, it's comfortable for anyone.

Don't get me wrong, the rooms are great, but the layout doesn't appeal for me. Most every railcar has space at the ends of each car for electrical equipment, but in the Viewliner the Attendants room and the Shower is right on the bulk head. I like how the Superliners have the central coffee/drink area, which as you can see I incorporated into my design. Also, my designs have 3 Deluxe Rooms instead of 2 which decreases the capacity slightly. I think my sleeper takes the best of the Viewliner and the Superliner and merges them together.

Umm, Amfleet the last time I checked the Viewliner has the lockers right on the vestibule, to me is worse than the A-End because you hear that trap dropping down late at night.

Amfleet said:
Well I was going with my capacities, but your right 45 seats is good for a Business Class car as that is the capacity for Acela Expresses First Class car. You'll notice that my coaches hold 62, but the sleepers only 26 because I opened up the floor plan, unlike todays Viewliner where things seems somewhat cramped.
Well if you want BC seats that lie flat, then 45 is going to be out of the question in my opinion.

Yes Acela seats 45, however there is only one bathroom in the car along with the kitchen. Now you could take out half of the kitchen and use that space for another bathroom, leaving the other half for a soda/coffee bar. However that still leaves you without a shower, so now you're going to loose a little more floor space.

That's before you start making room for seats that lie flat. So I think that you are back to your original number of 35 to 40 seats.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought those were located outside the car similar to the AC system (please tell me if I'm wrong, the last time I was in a Superliner was Feb 16.

Nope, one the standard bedroom end there are two lockers on either side before the door leading into the next car. To be honest though, I know baisicly nothing on passenger car mechanics and where the lockers are located.

I know the Electrcal locker is currently located right by the vestibule by room H. (It's kind of scary because you can fit two whole bodies in there, let's just hope a murderer doesn't read this :lol: ).

I'm curious what you guys think would make for a good crew car. Would something like a Baggage-Dorm work, or some other configuration?

I thought my crew/diner would work pretty well. Near the vestibule would be a shower and eight standard bedrooms for the crew. Then you would find a door opening up into the dining area with a prep area for the crew as you first walk in and 10 tables, 5 on each side, taking up the rest of the car. This car would be placed right next to the dining car (designed as a Heritage Diner) so attendants would just need to carrying food between cars. Drinks, salads, rolls, and desserts could already be stored in refridgerators and warmers in the crew/diner.

Amfleet said:
I thought my crew/diner would work pretty well.
I like it, like the Crew-Lounge, in a way, but with a Dining area, a perfect place for the Crew to rest and eat. :)

amtrakadirondack said:
Amfleet said:
I like it, like the Crew-Lounge, in a way, but with a Dining area, a perfect place for the Crew to rest and eat. :)
No, no, no. I'm saying the dining area is where the passengers will eat. This area will about double the capacity for dining seating, than now.

I really like the idea of a Viewliner Diner. I think it would be too cool to eat in a diner with the double windows. Although, I know of one Viewliner Diner but I believe it is being stored inactive at beach grove indefinetly.

Although, I am still a fan of the single-level Heritage diners.

Just an idea :)

Amfleet said:
amtrakadirondack said:
Amfleet said:
No, no, no. I'm saying the dining area is where the passengers will eat. This area will about double the capacity for dining seating, than now.
That's even a better idea! I thought because that the Dining Room was in the Crew Car that it was for the Crew, but more capacity for passengers is better!!! :)

I bought a book in Baltimore last week at the Railroadiana show that I think solved a problem that we have sort of been tossing around, smoking. The book I bought is floor plans to many of the Streamlined cars of yesteryear, and in it is the answer to the smoking problem. In the A-end of Northern Pacific Coaches 500-517 (built 1946 by Pullman) is a small 6 seat smoking lounge. The lounge I think will serve a function that makes everyone happy, as the car was still able to comfortably carry 56 passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back