How's The Texas Eagle Steak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer
I have a segment on the Texas Eagle next week and am wondering if the Dinner Steak has improved from a not too good offering I experienced last Summer. Then it was a couple small pieces of flat meat I would struggle to call proper Steak. Not bad but not up to the typical Steak I have enjoyed many times in the Diner.

On that line since I have 6 Dinners in the Diner on this run and like to vary what is on my plate, how has that "new" Salmon been?

It's the same steak that has been served on Amtrak since it reintroduced a steak entree after the Simplified Dining Service (SDS) debacle.

This is one of the few entrees on Amtrak where the skill set of the chef can make it, or break it, since it is fully cooked on board.

That said, it's not the best steak in world (many of us miss the NY Strip that was served prior to SDS), and not the worst.

One varaiable is that it may not be on the Eagle for long since there are rumors about that the Eagle's dining car will be downgraded like the City of New Orleans was effective

7/1/15.

http://purls.agsprint.com/restimg2/force/cvp/template/1/Amtrak__Food_Facts/4-22-15-ANGUS-STEAK.pdf

Ken

I have a segment on the Texas Eagle next week and am wondering if the Dinner Steak has improved from a not too good offering I experienced last Summer. Then it was a couple small pieces of flat meat I would struggle to call proper Steak. Not bad but not up to the typical Steak I have enjoyed many times in the Diner.

On that line since I have 6 Dinners in the Diner on this run and like to vary what is on my plate, how has that "new" Salmon been?
I been on the TE a few times over this last year and I thought the steak was really good. I ordered it medium and it came out great. I like it rare, but I fell medium is the way to go on the train.

Don't remember anything about the Texas Eagle's steak but if it's anything like the steak I had on the Lake Shore Limited two months ago, you'll find it absitively posolutely delicious. Made a point of going to the diner after the last serving when clean-up was done to congratulate the chef. As always, YMMV.

As was said it's not the Best nor the Worst cut of meat out there, but everything depends on the Chef, if its cooked right its quite good!

The Eagle does have several very good Chefs and Diner ( CCC) crews, hope you get the good ones!

The Salmon is usually good but can be dry if overcooked so the same comments apply!

The Healthy/Lite choice is usually very good but the portion is small.

The Chicken, which is very filling isn't bad, especially if the skin is removed.

The Baked and Mashed Potatoes or Rice are OK, but the Amveggies are usually overcooked, tasteless filler!The "new" Diner Salad ( you may have to ask for it) is OK even with poor quality ingredients.

The "New" deserts, depending on what is available, aren't bad, the cheesecake and chocolate mousse are tasty!

If you have to pay Cash for any Dinner Meal in the Diner, IMO theyre overpriced! Breakfast is the Best Value and Overall meal!

The rumours of downgrading the Food Service on the Texas Eagle like the CONO are troubling, say it ain't so Joe!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback. Prior to my last run, the Steaks I have enjoyed on the Eagle were on line with the ones found in any of the other Amtrak Diners but on that last run, this pseudo-steak found its way into the Diner and I heard a bit of follow up chatter this might be the new norm for the train.

In recent trips I've had good steak and nearly inedible steak.

The "nearly inedible" one I should have sent back - I asked for "medium rare" and it was closer to well done and was very tough and dry. But the diner was busy and it was the 'grumpy' crew (some of you know who I mean) and I figured it wasn't worth the hassle, so I choked it down. On my return trip, it was totally different: perfect medium rare and a lot more tender.

Again, Amtrak is like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get. (I consider it a lesson in "rolling with" adversity or unexpected things, something I am not very good at.)

How's The Texas Eagle Steak?
One-Dice.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back