Hurricane Katrina Disruptions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

battalion51

Engineer
Due to the Landfall of Hurricane Katrina in South Florida, the following service adjustments have been made.

P091(24) and P097(24) will terminate in Orlando, alternate transportation provided south of Orlando. The trains will be serviced and stored overnight in Sanford.

P091(25) and P097(25) will terminate in Orlando, no alternate transportation provided south of Orlando. The trains will be serviced and stored overnight in Sanford.

P098(26) and P092(26) will originate in Orlando, no alternate transportation provided south of Orlando.

Based on the current forecast for the storm look for Sunset Ltd. disruptions east of New Orleans beginning with 002 leaving New Orleans on Sunday evening.

On a personal note, it's kind of strange that even though I'm gone from South Florida, I'm probably still going to feel the effects of this storm here in Tallahassee. All I can hope for at this point is no class Monday, and my sickness to go away (Strep Throat).

Well best of luck to you on both of those counts. Meanwhile I find it disgraceful to see a clearly increasing number of "No Alternate Transportation Provided", while in this case severe weather is a cause, there are circumstances where it's disgraceful not to offer it, it certainly doesn't help ridership.

Yeah, I mean, obviously its not Amtrak's fault, but I would be royally pissed if I was told that " Uh, sorry, find your own way to Orlando"

Actually, for passengers on 91/97 (24), alternate transportation was provided south of Orlando.

That's very surprising considering how quickly conditions were detoriating down there in South Florida. Landfall was in the 1800 range, but the worst is still to come down there.

sechs said:
Is Amtrak supposed to run a bus into a hurricane? Let's be reasonable folks....
Technically NO, but in this case, we did! Just got in from that trip earlier tonight. Conditions detiorated quicker than management expected regarding #P097's bustitution. However, I am pleased with whoever in management got a good plan in place in such short notice. They did well providing they used the best info at the time of making their decision. Landfall was actually not expected till Fri in the early AM, but ya know how these 'canes can be! So yes in turn we went into the hurricane. No power at either FTL, HOL, or MIA stations when we arrived. Rain was coming down, and wind was gusting pretty bad. But the bus driver obviously knew how to drive his vehicle, and with the upmost care for us and the rest of the passengers! Neither any of us on the OBS crew nor any of the passengers were complaining! OBS...

Well here we go again for #19/20. Looks like by early next week Katrina will turn north and make landfall east of NOL. I am sure #1/2 will also be disrupted.

Well this is what Amtrak has so far, but I am confident they will be adding #19/20 to this list.

Due to Hurricane Katrina, Amtrak is implementing a revised service plan for its Silver Service trains, which operate between New York and Miami, and the Sunset Limited, which operates between Orlando and New Orleans.
Southbound trains #91 (Silver Star) and #97 (Silver Meteor) that depart New York on Friday August 26 will terminate in Orlando instead of Miami. No alternate transportation will be offered for passengers bound for destinations south of Orlando.

Northbound trains #92 (Silver Star) and #98 (Silver Meteor) originally scheduled to originate in Miami on Friday August 26, will instead originate in Orlando. No alternate transportation will be provided between Miami and Orlando.

Northbound trains #92 (Silver Star) and #98 (Silver Meteor) originally scheduled to originate in Miami on Saturday August 27, will instead originate in Orlando. No alternate transportation will be provided between Miami and Orlando.

Eastbound train #2 (Sunset Limited) will terminate in New Orleans instead on Orlando on Sunday August 28. No alternate transportation will be provided between New Orleans and Orlando.

Westbound train #1 (Sunset Limited) is cancelled between Orlando and New Orleans on Sunday August 28. No alternate transportation will be provided between Orlando and New Orleans.

BNSF_1088 said:
AmtrakFan said:
BNSF,Let's hope you make it ok.   Did they clear all the cars out of the NOL yard?
Yes there doing it right now heading up to Memphis TN :)
Thanks any word on what the power is? We are all trying to find 33 one of the Michigan units and last check it was there since June and then it was there in June 1st left the 7th and then came back to NOL the 23rd. AWOL since.

We will have have prayers for New Orleans and the Gulf this morning and in the days to come. We will put our money where our mouth is too! We always send a good offering to UMCOR for relief following a Hurricane in your country and tornados in ours. God Bless!

We are praying for Mobile too! Someone in Church first service said they were bringing extra trains to help the ones who have no other transportation out of town in NO. Is this an effort of Amtrak?

Well #19/20 will be terminating and originating in Atlanta, GA for the next few days thanks to Katrina. Ill be headed down to the station later to get some consist #'s.

BNSF_1088 said:
AmtrakFan said:
BNSF,Let's hope you make it ok.   Did they clear all the cars out of the NOL yard?
Yes there doing it right now heading up to Memphis TN :)
That information is incorrect according to my sources. My sources are telling me all equipment has been repositioned to McComb, MS. All food from the Comissary has been put into the Dining Cars, and some of the management from NOL is with the train in McComb.

With the size and power of Katrina right now they are calling it potentially catastrophic. 175 MPH sustained winds, and enormous in size. If you are within 150 miles inland of where it is expected to hit (and tropical storm force winds are 200+ miles wide), I would evacuate, NOW, no hesitation. We went through three hurricanes last year here in Orlando, but Katrina makes those three look like a gentle breeze by comparison. Katrina is a bigger, stronger version of 1992's Andrew. Unless it weakens considerably from what it is now, everything in it's path will be utterly destroyed for a very considerable distance inland. This thing is positively scary right now. And Midland is right, pray for the folks in it's path.

I just changed my reservation with Amtrak, They changed my trip no charge, I was going on the City of New Orleans Sept 1 st . They changed my reservation from CHI-NOL to CHI-ABQ for the same day same service sleeper car no extra charge. GOTTA LOVE DAT

AmtrakWPK said:
With the size and power of Katrina right now they are calling it potentially catastrophic. 175 MPH sustained  winds, and enormous in size.  If you are within 150 miles inland of where it is expected to hit (and tropical storm force winds are 200+ miles wide), I would evacuate, NOW, no hesitation.  We went through three hurricanes last year here in Orlando, but Katrina makes those three look like a gentle breeze by comparison.  Katrina is a bigger, stronger version of 1992's Andrew.  Unless it weakens considerably from what it is now, everything in it's path will be utterly destroyed for a very considerable distance inland.  This thing is positively scary right now.  And Midland is right, pray for the folks in it's path.
Yea, Now a Cat. 5, 175Mph winds, hurricane force winds now extending 190 miles out from the center in all directions. The pressure is 902mb, the fourth lowest in the HISTORY of the Atlantic basin (not just US). The eye of this thing is 29 miles wide! The storm itself however, is the SECOND strongest to hit the US in history. The only hurricane stronger then this one to hit the US was the 1935 hurricane of the Florida Keys. This is gonna be a bad one, headed straight for New Orleans with predicted storm surge of over 25 feet, if its a direct hit, the city could be underwater :( .

20.jpg

This is definitely a storm of Andrew proportions. I really think that people underestimate the power these things pack. I'll never forget the pictures my neighbors showed me of their house in Homestead that was destroyed by Andrew. I hate to say it, but I'll be interested to see the pictures that come out of the area.

Back