Hurricane Matthew Service Disruptions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak is good at calling those that have reservations if there are problems. In fact, I got a call from Amtrak a couple of days ago regarding a reservation I have next week. The train is scheduled to make a detour routing due to scheduled track work. I also was notified about possible heavy traffic in Portland, OR due to a scheduled event. (I live on the east coast.)

Just be certain has your local contact so they can contact you if need be.

We wanted to book the Meteor Penny but it arrives in Richmond at an un-earthly hour and we are being met, so we are set for the later Star. Would have been good to have met you and said hello, but that's how it goes.

Amtrak have our UK cell phone and email, we don't have a local contact as we are almost permanently on the move. Due to Matthew even we didn't know where we would be over the next 3 days until an hour ago, and some of that is still not certain.

We do have to return our rental car to Orlando International airport on Tuesday morning traveler and hope we can get from Georgia to there without problems as the roads are jammed even over here around Panama City.

Yesterday evening I tried to book a hotel for a couple of days in southern Georgia, the nearest, and there was only one, was north of Montgomery, GA, quite a way from the coast. We think we now have somewhere near Macon, waiting to hear.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunday is looking like

Canceled:

52(09)

53(09)

89(09) Canceled WAS-SAV. Operates NYP-WAS only.

90(09) Canceled SAV-WAS. Operates WAS-NYP only.

91(09) Canceled NYP-TPA. Operates TPA-MIA only*.

92(09) Canceled TPA-NYP. Operates MIA-TPA only*.

97(09)

98(09)

*No sleepers

Last edited by a moderator:
But inquiring minds want to know about Tuesday. :)

Yes, I know it's too soon to know if the silvers will run the full route on Tuesday.

KnightRail: do you know if the Meteor would run on the Star route if that route was clear and the A line was not (through NC and SC)? I have a reservation on Tuesday's Meteor from ORL north in a sleeper.

BTW - did you go to UCF?

Amtrak.com is now showing the Silvers, the Auto Train and Palmetto reservations blocked through and including Wednesday (10/12). That does not necessarily mean the trains are canceled, but it's a hint.

Amtrak.com is now showing the Silvers, the Auto Train and Palmetto reservations blocked through and including Wednesday (10/12). That does not necessarily mean the trains are canceled, but it's a hint.
Better to err on the side of cancellations than sell tickets and upset more people if they have to cancel. It's obviously too soon to know what the infrastructures will be like in SC and NC.

Now, if Ryan's ship hadn't come north, he could send it over to FL to pick up Penny and Dick and take them to New Orleans to catch the CONO. :giggle:

Drat!!!

Thanks Bill. I am not surprised.

Amtrak has removed the service alert originally posted on 10/5. In leu of any word from Amtrak, we have this from CSX:

CSX Customer Advisory – CSX Resumes Limited Railroad Operations in the Wake of Hurricane Matthew

October 8, 2016

As Hurricane Matthew passes the eastern coastline, CSX Transportation has begun restoration efforts. Recovery crews are working to fully restore service, making any necessary repairs, and making infrastructure or equipment repairs that may be necessary.

UPDATE:

CSX operations reestablished service into Florida with the exception of crossing SunRail through the Orlando, FL area. Service remains suspended from Savannah, GA through Pembroke, NC with an update expected as soon as the extent of any storm damage is fully assessed. Switching operations remains closed in Savannah, GA; Charleston, SC and Wilmington, NC.

We continue to monitor the storm as it continues to travel its forecasted path along the Eastern coastline from Charleston, SC past Wilmington, NC. Additional updates will be provided as CSX operations continues to re-evaluate the situation immediately on the ground and rail network.
CSX

Amtrak has removed the service alert originally posted on 10/5. In leu of any word from Amtrak, we have this from CSX:

CSX Customer Advisory – CSX Resumes Limited Railroad Operations in the Wake of Hurricane Matthew

October 8, 2016

As Hurricane Matthew passes the eastern coastline, CSX Transportation has begun restoration efforts. Recovery crews are working to fully restore service, making any necessary repairs, and making infrastructure or equipment repairs that may be necessary.

UPDATE:

CSX operations reestablished service into Florida with the exception of crossing SunRail through the Orlando, FL area. Service remains suspended from Savannah, GA through Pembroke, NC with an update expected as soon as the extent of any storm damage is fully assessed. Switching operations remains closed in Savannah, GA; Charleston, SC and Wilmington, NC.

We continue to monitor the storm as it continues to travel its forecasted path along the Eastern coastline from Charleston, SC past Wilmington, NC. Additional updates will be provided as CSX operations continues to re-evaluate the situation immediately on the ground and rail network.
CSX
I saw that today as it occurred to me the other day to see what CSX was saying so I've been checking their website (saw their Oct 5 announcement too).

I just received a phone call from a friend who has a reservation on the same train as I do [98(11)]. This evening, he phoned Amtrak to check the status of 98(11) in light of the fact that the trains show "sold out" for Tuesday the 11th on Amtrak.com. He was told by an agent that the trains are in fact sold out because everyone from the canceled trains was moved to the trains for Tuesday and Wednesday. I am hoping the agent is correct, but I am not willing to bet on it.

That could be correct Penny but with the storm hammering the Carolina Coasts, the condition of the Meteor Route will be the key, it sounds like the Star Route is OK so far!??

Best of luck on the Meteor running next week, glad y'all are OK in Mickey World!

79(8) has a Service Disruption and is stuck in Selma, NC.

76(8) has a Service Disruption. Not sure where it is, but I'm guessing it's still in Charlotte, NC.

74 almost made it back to Raleigh but looks like it is stuck just a couple of miles short of there.

Rain totals in this area are higher than we'd hoped for. 9" here in Cary, NC.

Power was off for about 5 hours this afternoon, but the generator took care of our power.

Lost telephone service after a while so ASM was down during that time.

jb

79(8) has a Service Disruption and is stuck in Selma, NC.

76(8) has a Service Disruption. Not sure where it is, but I'm guessing it's still in Charlotte, NC.

74 almost made it back to Raleigh but looks like it is stuck just a couple of miles short of there.

Rain totals in this area are higher than we'd hoped for. 9" here in Cary, NC.

Power was off for about 5 hours this afternoon, but the generator took care of our power.

Lost telephone service after a while so ASM was down during that time.

jb

79(08) returned to Selma and terminated due to a washout on NS. Passengers bustituted.

74(08) blocked by trees down just west of RGH.

76(08) cancelled.

Unless something changes:

NFK service is suspended until Monday. Trains will turn at RVR.

Piedmont service suspended due to a few washouts.

The Carolinan will turn at RVR.

Hello Penny

If the Meteor and Star are not running on Tuesday then we'll keep our rental car and drive to Richmond, VA, our first destination. You (and your friend) are very welcome to join us travelling north as far as Richmond, we'll be in a motel at Winter Park on Monday evening and could collect you from Orlando.

They have 2 days to get things sorted out and I bet they do but you have a back up if not..

Hello Penny

If the Meteor and Star are not running on Tuesday then we'll keep our rental car and drive to Richmond, VA, our first destination. You (and your friend) are very welcome to join us travelling north as far as Richmond, we'll be in a motel at Winter Park on Monday evening and could collect you from Orlando.

They have 2 days to get things sorted out and I bet they do but you have a back up if not..
if you guys would like to get lunch when your passing by Florence I would be willing. If I don't have class.

At least one of the two silver consists are still tied down in Penn Coach Yard as of 830 tonight. I was out and about Thursday and one of the meteor consists was coming into Philly. Later on I was near ZOO and a diesel was added and they were spinning the train and shoving it to Penn Coach Yard. I should add that the electric was still on it pan up. Not sure why they couldn't do the move with just the electric.

That's a nice thought Seaboard92, but not sure how timing and route would work at the moment. We may take the I 77 via Charlotte just to stay as far away from the coast as possible, and if we get notification of cancellation by early tomorrow our start place may be Macon, GA and not Orlando so our timing is at the moment unknown.

We may all be able to catch our trains from Florida as scheduled anyway, this is very much up in the air at the moment.

Thanks for the offer to meet, but it looks unlikely at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back