I-95 collapse effect on SEPTA and Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does the speed of PennDOT's getting to work on this problem compare to that of California getting to work on the Pacific Surfliner route that has been blocked by varioius landslides and such?
My friends who've lived in CA have said they are pretty quick with getting things done on highways etc. This is a pretty straightforward fix but the coastline is a lot more complicated since the ground is moving.

Rode past the site this morning. Looks like the fill is within a few feet of final grade. My guess is the road reopens later this week with six lanes available. My over/under is Wednesday (6/21). If so, that would be 11 days.

The fill material is a manufactured product called Ultra-Lightweight Foamed Glass Aggregate (UL-FGA). It is made from foamed, recycled glass and is 85% lighter than traditional gravel fill. This allows 100 cubic yards to be hauled by one truck. It is more-or-less self-compacting, so you can just place it and smooth it. If it settles a bit, the roadway can be leveled off later with a blacktop overlay.

UL-FGA (this may or may not be the specific gradation of the material being used here.)

PennDOT has a live stream of the work in progress at PennDOT I-95. Buckley, the contract has made the most of the live stream and free publicity by placing at least four large signs facing the camera.

Last edited:
Rode past the site this morning. Looks like the fill is within a few feet of final grade. My guess is the road reopens later this week with six lanes available. My over/under is Wednesday (6/21). If so, that would be 11 days.

The fill material is a manufactured product called Ultra-Lightweight Foamed Glass Aggregate (UL-FGA). It is made from foamed, recycled glass and is 85% lighter than traditional gravel fill. This allows 100 cubic yards to be hauled by one truck. It is more-or-less self-compacting, so you can just place it and smooth it. If it settles a bit, the roadway can be leveled off later with a blacktop overlay.

UL-FGA (this may or may not be the specific gradation of the material being used here.)

PennDOT has a live stream of the work in progress at PennDOT I-95. Buckley, the contract has made the most of the live stream and free publicity by placing at least four large signs facing the camera.
That's remarkable. Shows what smart people and willing political entities can get done when put to the test.

That's remarkable. Shows what smart people and willing political entities can get done when put to the test.
To say nothing of all of us in New Jersey saying “Get it fixed fast so you can go back on your side of the river—our roads are crowded enough!”😁

Just kidding—we are glad to help and share our roads whenever needed.😊

Seriously, I’m amazed at and impressed with the speed with which this is getting done. And I love the transparency of having the PennDOT live stream. I will be following it as the work is done.

Thank you so much for posting all this information and especially the live stream link!

It’s all well and good except because of this temporary solution, the permanent repair is scheduled for completion in 2026, so I’m told. Three years of a permanent lane restriction with intermittent further restrictions. I guess that’s good for SEPTA longer term, but they literally just finished a seven year project in the area. That’s the frustrating bit. I almost rather they take the month and a half and be done with it like Atlanta did.

It’s all well and good except because of this temporary solution, the permanent repair is scheduled for completion in 2026, so I’m told. Three years of a permanent lane restriction with intermittent further restrictions. I guess that’s good for SEPTA longer term, but they literally just finished a seven year project in the area. That’s the frustrating bit. I almost rather they take the month and a half and be done with it like Atlanta did.
Oops—I somehow missed that it’s a temporary solution and not a permanent one. Not quite as miraculous as I thought! Thanks for pointing it out.

Using the temporary roadway, I-95 will reopen tomorrow (Friday, 6/23) at noon.
That will make it 12 days, + ~6 hours closure. What a great response. It would be an eye opening study to see the costs of this restoration of service versus a conventual repair job?
https://pacast.com/live/I95?fbclid=IwAR2AaRruUPq1qXqw_2Oiq60c5CHZkK_IWkaXPircshW-ydBEjKPqmIEwXIA
The temporary roadwork at bridge almost complete at 0130 Friday. How much work has been done for all the approach changes to this narrowing to 3 lane each way was done?

Back