I had thought I've seen everything

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While on youtube I came across this video of a young man who was riding the Cap to DC. All I'm going to say is this guy seems like a moron...

Seems like 2 ambien, ear plugs and eye shades would have done the trick, with a whole lot less effort. :giggle:

"Moron"? Seriously?

The only thing this guy is guilty of is producing a boring instructional video.

It's nice that the anonymity of the internet empowers people to hurl insults at complete strangers. :unsure:

I think we're all entitled to opinions... (See my signature) But the ideas that he came up with seem a little wacky.. Their is bearly any light getting into the room as it is when shade are shut.. But any true rail fan would want the shades open to see what goes by in the night. IMO.

So like my signature says These Posts are my view and opinions..

Yeah, I agree about being entitled to opinions, etc. I just think ad hominem attacks are out of place here.

That said, I do agree that the advice in this video was by and large unnecessary...but clearly the young man cares deeply

about train travel and I'm not sure that that's a bad thing. Maybe he's not a "true rail fan" by your standards, but not everyone

needs to see the siding at Bumsnot, Ohio in the middle of the night.

Not really seeing how this video is that outlandish? He's just demonstrating how he used some items to darken his room, which for some people is very important.

Some people are U-Tube lovers. Any chance to make a movie and they are on it. I did not get far into it, to each their own. He thought it was important, God Bless him!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you detect a possible disturbance in this guys makeup?

Getting sleep on Amtrak the natural way. .

Buy some Chamomile Herb and a SS tea Infuser. Fill the infuser full and pack it in your overnight bag. Just before bedtime,put 4 oz hot water in a hot cup (should be available at the coffee machine). If not use cold water and an imersion heater to boil the water. Put infuser in the water and steep for 5 minutes. Then wait until the chamomile tea cools down to drinking temperature and put 6 drops of Bach Rescue Remedy ( made from Flowers)in it. Drink the mixture its not real flavorful but not bad. Get to bed and within 30 minutes you will be sleeping sound. No matter how wound up or stressed I might be, this has always worked for me. Its completely safe and medicine free

But any true rail fan would want the shades open to see what goes by in the night. IMO.
Sure, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally I can't sleep if there is any light whatsoever, so I close the curtains when I am sleeping. I consider myself a true rail fan - how am I observing what is otu the window when I am asleep? I opened the curtains first thing in the morning when I woke up.

Having only gotten a little way into the video (and sort of staring at the setup), what I've found is that it's not light from the outside that is usually the problem...it's light from the hallway (often hitting the mirror on a Viewliner and reflecting into my eyes) that can cause trouble sleeping...sometimes, the hook-and-loop is sufficiently worn out that the shade on that side wants to keep disconnecting. On more than one occasion, I've left the shade at least somewhat open to let moonlight in when there was a full moon.

Actually, designing a setup to contend with the interior light problem (and it is a problem at times, since in some roomettes the hallway light placement is such that it reflects directly into my eyes) isn't a bad project, considering how often I'm in a Viewliner roomette.

Simple solution to the light/curtain problem: duct tape!! Never leave home without it!!

Simple solution to the light/curtain problem: duct tape!! Never leave home without it!!
So you're the one screwing up the interiors with the adhesive from duck tape?
The simpler solution is to sleep in the upper berth.

It was a pretty crappy video, however. The guy just doesn't have the knack of narration.

Hey, I made this video -

#1 I was very tired, having been only operating on 2 hours of sleep that day. So the narration wasn't the best. I even said I only had 2 hours of sleep in the video.

#2 I made it as a joke and as what I did to block out the night. I actually thought of helping some other people. I had ridden Amtrak 29 2 weeks prior to this video & got a terrible night of sleep because the sun shown into my face. So riding Amtrak 30 2 weeks later I was determined to block out the light everywhere in the room. Also, those curtains in my room sucked, every time we went by some streetlights they shown through them. So I suppose this some how makes me an idiot or moron? Really? I mean to upright insult me for this, just showing what I did & how others could do it themselves. God forbid I make a video like this. I don't tailor to just what you want. If you don't like the video or don't care, don't watch it! Simple as that!

#3 I am railfan until the day's end, but when I'm tired. Sleep comes first. That's why I wanted to block everything out. I could still HEAR the trains going by, which was very nice. Obviously it was dark, so I couldn't see the trains. I just saw lights & they passed. But when I woke up in the late morning, I started filming out my window until DC.

#4 The sun does come up in the morning, so if ya leave the shades open, it will shine right in your face. Unless you can sleep with the sun directly hitting your face, you don't leave the shades open. I can't so I closed the shades.

#5 Those of you that have been on the train can relate. Those who haven't, shut up. You have no say about this having never been on the train before. So until you experience it yourself, don't bother saying anything about me being an idiot or moron. Not everything I post is something that you may like. I'm sorry I can't read everyone's mind and know their desires.

Also, when I ride trains long distance (that being my 3rd time on an overnight train). I try to have the viewer relate to what I did or saw. I went to great lengths filming pretty much my whole trip. So I was looking forward to good night of sleep. The full story is - I had rode the Hoosier state that morning into Chicago from Indianapolis, having woken up at 4am for a 6am departing train. I only mustered 2 hours of sleep, and a nap on the Hoosier state arriving at 10am into Chicago. Then I had a layover until 6pm for my next train, the Capitol Limited. I ended up going to Blue Island for the day, then coming back to board 30. I was more than tired after a full day of riding the train & railfanning. I understand I never put this in the video description, because I shouldn't have to, I kept it light. But I'm telling you guys this, because you shouldn't mock me or complain about what I did & why I'm a moron if you don't know the full story. All I showcased was what I did to block out the light, yes my narration could've been better or rehearsed but I was very tired. But it wasn't, boo freaking hoo. This was just showing how another passenger in a similar situation could do the same. (Says sarcastically) I'm sooo terribly sorry you guys didn't like it. I'm sorry I even uploaded this if it gives you soo much disgust. I did it to ensure I had a good night of sleep & ya know what? It worked, I slept about 12 hours straight. Yeah people are all different, some can sleep with light, others can't. I am one of those who likes the dark, so don't complain because I went to extra efforts to guarantee a good night of rest for myself. Regardless I'm not making anyone do all this, do it if you want, don't do it at all. I did, I just showed this to help other people & that's that. In the end I thought it was a pretty ingenious idea, I used what I had around me to accomplish what I needed. Which was to block out all the light. And I did that.

In all honestly - I thought it was a good video as it shows what people will sometimes have to do on some of these long distance overnight trains. It's no different then the people that carry velcro, duct tape, and cardboard to keep curtains close, close vents blasting frigid air, and hastening rattles. This guy just decided to actually document on what he did, so cut him some slack!

I don't mind the video, but I do mind some of the language he used in his posts. I don't blame him for being upset, but he needs to learn how to convey his message without the language.

So you're the one screwing up the interiors with the adhesive from duck tape?
The simpler solution is to sleep in the upper berth.

It was a pretty crappy video, however. The guy just doesn't have the knack of narration.
Yep, that's me! I confess. :( But now I use gaffer's tape. It's duct tape without the residue. :)

You sure can tell you are very tired, Marc. Just a suggestion-Velcro Dots. You can put them anywhere, and they are removable, too. You can check them out here.

We usually leave the curtains on the window open at night-we're usually in an upstairs bedroom-but the curtains on the door sometimes don't close all the way. Velcro Dots will work for this.

Or an eye mask.....

I don't mind the video, but I do mind some of the language he used in his posts. I don't blame him for being upset, but he needs to learn how to convey his message without the language.
Marc, it is just the fact that this is a very cool group with lots of ladies and young people viewing these posts. Many senior folks also that were raised in a "non cuss word society". We disagree and debate, but I can honestly say in the four years I have been a member I have never read anyone using those atrocities of the human language, as you call them. We stay within polite limits and never go beyond. One does not need explicative language to promote their cause. I think if you would have dropped the F bomb you would have been tossed out on your rear. I suspect your going to read lots of grief over this.

You sure can tell you are very tired, Marc. Just a suggestion-Velcro Dots. You can put them anywhere, and they are removable, too. You can check them out here.

We usually leave the curtains on the window open at night-we're usually in an upstairs bedroom-but the curtains on the door sometimes don't close all the way. Velcro Dots will work for this.

Or an eye mask.....
I didn't have any of that stuff, and lots of people don't when traveling on the train. So this video was showcasing what you can do with what you have on the train. Noticed how I used pillows, blankets & towels with some of my own stuff. But even my stuff like clothes another passenger riding overnight will have, no matter the length of time aboard the train. So saying what I should've done after my trip is bit late... Now for my next trip I know. But all these people whining & moaning about I did is plain stupid. I did what I did, that's that. I just had enough caring to show what I did. So others could follow my example.

Marc,

I think it is nice that you were trying to be helpful to others and am not sure why others reacted so strongly to your video. As has been said, if they didn't like it they could stop watching it and move on to something of more interest.

Happy rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back