I hope the gal at Amtrak is right

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben_G

Service Attendant
Just booked a trip to take the grandkids (14 & 15) on their first train ride. CDL to CHI and back in one day,Saluki up Illini back, got time for lunch but not much more with only a 3 hour stay. I thought I would use the $75 voucher they insisted I accept over the issue with the lounge ladys in CHI. I called and ask how I go about useing it since we live 3 hours from CDL. Amtrak agent told me to just give it to the ticket agent in CDL and they would credit my Guest Rewards card $75 I used to buy the tickets online when we pick up the tickets on the day we leave....I hope she knows what she is talking about. Anyone else do this ?

Just booked a trip to take the grandkids (14 & 15) on their first train ride. CDL to CHI and back in one day,Saluki up Illini back, got time for lunch but not much more with only a 3 hour stay. I thought I would use the $75 voucher they insisted I accept over the issue with the lounge ladys in CHI. I called and ask how I go about useing it since we live 3 hours from CDL. Amtrak agent told me to just give it to the ticket agent in CDL and they would credit my Guest Rewards card $75 I used to buy the tickets online when we pick up the tickets on the day we leave....I hope she knows what she is talking about. Anyone else do this ?
I hope she's right too! That's going to be a LONG day trip with 6 hours of driving, but I know it will be worth it.

It shouldn't be a problem. When they issue your tickets, they can refund your card and you can pay with your voucher. I'm presuming by your language that you have the voucher in hand. Be sure that the voucher is worth less than the cost of of the tickets if you want to get fill use out it it. And be sure to give them your AGR number. You can still get points for the ride.

But in all honesty, you're defaulted to the worst case scenario. You already have a purchased ticket and so you're ride will go on. The only question, it seems, is can you rebate your credit card and pay with the voucher. Let not your heart be troubled. Your 3 hour drive will not be in vain, regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
She may be right, but if you have another trip planned, why not use it to offset that trip's cost?
huh.gif
You don't have to take the trip before the voucher's expiration date - you only need to redeem the voucher prior to the expiration date!
excl.gif

Say the voucher expires in November. In August, you plan a trip for next May. As long as that voucher is redeemed before November, it can be used!
cool.gif
But I believe it must be brought to a staffed station or mailed to (I think) PHL. (They can not be used online!
sad.gif
)

I did exactly what you are doing with a voucher last year. I called to make the reervation and told the agent I had a vioucher (less than the total ticket cost) and that I lived 6 hours away from the departure station. They charged me the difference between the total and the voucher and said give it to the agent when I claimed the tickets the day of travel. Worked fine with no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back