I just had a brainstorm!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer
Honored Member
As some of you know, I am taking a trip from Atlanta to NYC and Boston in mid-August.

It just occured to me to take the Downeaster round trip from Boston to Portland the same day.This will be entirely NEW mileage for me. I have been on that trip on a bus years ago(I remember somebody threw up), but not on a train.(hopefully nobody will throw up).

I note that it leaves from the North Station. I am not sure if I have even been in North Station. Should be fun.

The downside of this(no pun intended) is that it will cut sharply into my time in Boston. Boston is a lovely city but I have been there before and will no doubt be there again. This seems like the right thing to do. Glad I thought of it!!

Anybody out there have any Downeaster remembrances they would like to share?

Well Bill I hope you enjoy your trip. I have to get up there some time. Will you be going via coach or Coastal Club (ex-metroliner) Car?

Bill,

I would certainly suggest looking at going in the Business Class section if you do go to Portland. I think it's only about 30 bucks extra, but in my opinion it's well worth it.

You get much nicer seats than in coach; these are ex-Metroliner First Class seats. You get a free coffee or soda from the cafe, plus you get to be first in line at the counter. That can be a real plus as I've seen some very long lines for food on this train, especially since its not normal Amtrak food. The Downeaster uses its own caterer to supply food, not Amtrak's commissary.

Plus in Portland at least, you get to pre-board the train before the coach passengers do. No special perks in North Station though.

Finally you might want to check out Kevin Korell's write up from our trip on part of the Downeaster during our Boston T Party a year ago. He doesn't describe the full route, but he does have a few interesting facts about the first section of the ride out of North Station. You can find that page by clicking here.

I am not completely sure just yet which class of service I will use..I will at least go coach one way, business class the other(just to compare)....or, after Alan's description, I just might go business class both ways. Will keep in touch. I am just so glad I thought of it out of the clear blue sky this morning, after I got to work. Luckily I keep an Amtrak timetable with me at the office so I can check into such things.

I rode the full Downeaster route back in late December of 2001 when it was just a couple of weeks old. It was a pleasurable ride. Maybe there was still a novelty, and maybe it was the holiday season, but they did do very good business for such a new train.

I suggest you take train 681 northbound, and return on 684 southbound. That way you can have breakfast in Boston before the 9:30 AM departure. You get to Portland at 12:15 PM. There is a Denny's that you can walk to (just under an overpass on the other side of the I-295 freeway), as well as a few Italian restaurants and also some gas station convenience store type of places where you can get a sandwich. The soutbound train leaves at 2 PM, so you have 1-3/4 hours in town, ample time for lunch. Train 684 gets you back to Boston at 4:45 PM, in time for dinner -- so unless you do wish to try the Maine-oriented catered food on the train, it is not necessary.

You could also return south on a later train (4 PM on weekdays, 6:30 PM on weekends), which would allow you to spend some time in Portland. You can take a bus eastward into the downtown area, and perhaps visit a narrow-gauge tourist railroad to keep up the rail theme.

It's also possible to spend the night there. If you took a later train out of Boston, there is a Doubletree Hotel right across the parking lot from the Portland station. Then you could take the first or second southbound train back to Boston in the morning.

Many thanks for the tips Superliner Diner. I was indeed planning on taking the trains you first suggested, with layover over from 12.15 to 2 p.m. That seems to work for me.

I personally want to go in one of them Cabbage cars sometime, those seem like a completely different experience when it comes to running a train.

It is final, I made my reservations last night.

I will stay in Portland from 12:15 until 4 p.m. Business class BOTH ways...The more I thought about the Coastal Club car being a first class car from the Metroliner(as Alan pointed out), the better it sounded. Why would I need to compare that with coach? Of course, it will be business class both ways for me.

Actually the Coach on the Downeaster, is what normally would be considered Metroliner Business Class. Either way I think you have it pretty good. When I ride it I will do Business Class one-way and Coach Class the other way. B)

Well, Amfleet, it looks like the Downeaster has a pretty snazzy consist, wherever you are. Am looking forward to it.

By the way, this might be a stupid question, but is the track really close to the ocean or not? Should I try to sit on the east side of the train?

Bill Haithcoat said:
Well, Amfleet, it looks like the Downeaster has a pretty snazzy consist, wherever you are.  Am looking forward to it.

By the way,  this might be a stupid question, but is the track really close to the ocean or not? Should I try to sit on the east side of the train?
Bill,

The only place where you will see the Atlantic Ocean is at Old Orchard Beach, ME. At other locations you're too far inland to see it. It's to your right, not long after you leave the Saco station (when bound for Portland), at which time the train is pointed east rather than north. Coming back towards Boston, it's very early in your trip on the left-hand side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back