I may regret this later

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben_G

Service Attendant
Like the topic said I may regret this but I just bought tickets for a LD trip in coach. Wife wanted a adventure and I told her that would be one for sure. Carbondale, Il to Reno, Nv and return. Spending 4 days in Reno to recover. Wife is one of those people who can sleep anywhere, me I may have to have a little help if you know what I mean. She also is a bit claustrophobic and after looking at the roomette size she said no way she could stand to be in that small of space for any period of time. She had a real hard time flying in a plane with the 1 X 2 seating for a couple hours last trip out west.

Since we are 150+ miles from Carbondale (staffed station) I plan on picking up the tickets a couple hours before departing there. Is there any problems in doing that ?

Sleeping in coach is a problem for me but I usually manage to get a few hours.

The seating is not nearly as confining as an airliner or a bus, plus you are free at any time to get up and walk around. The cafe car is quite roomy with tables and soft chairs too.

Picking up the tickets an hour or two early is no problem at a staffed station.

Best luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
If she had a hard time flying in a plane for 2 hours with 1x2 seating, how is she going to feel in coach on a train for 2 nights with 2X2 seating?
huh.gif
(A train car is probably the same size as a plane!
rolleyes.gif
)

As far as a roomette, there is no rule that says "You must stay in your room 24 hours a day"! You can get out and walk thru the train - and even get outside at some of the longer stops. (Try doing that at 30,000 feet!) Also, don't forget that a roomette is the same price for both of you! (All you add is the Rail Fare for each person.) And it also includes all meals in the Dining Car for both of you (saving you like $60 or $80 or more per day), access to the shower and a flat bed at night. Also during the layover in Chicago, you'll have access to the Metropolitan Lounge i instead of waiting in the main waiting area.

Any plane that is small enough for 1x2 seating is going to most likely be an ERJ or CRJ. I'm not really claustrophobic at all, but those planes are uncomfortably small. Nothing like even an AmCan much less Superliner

Any plane that is small enough for 1x2 seating is going to most likely be an ERJ or CRJ. I'm not really claustrophobic at all, but those planes are uncomfortably small. Nothing like even an AmCan much less Superliner
Embraer RJ 145....like being in a soup can :lol: . Superliner Coach has to be bigger. It's going to be a adventure for sure. At least I may not have red spots on my arm where she had ahold of me that entire 2 hours.

Like the topic said I may regret this but I just bought tickets for a LD trip in coach. Wife wanted a adventure and I told her that would be one for sure. Carbondale, Il to Reno, Nv and return. Spending 4 days in Reno to recover. Wife is one of those people who can sleep anywhere, me I may have to have a little help if you know what I mean. She also is a bit claustrophobic and after looking at the roomette size she said no way she could stand to be in that small of space for any period of time. She had a real hard time flying in a plane with the 1 X 2 seating for a couple hours last trip out west.

Since we are 150+ miles from Carbondale (staffed station) I plan on picking up the tickets a couple hours before departing there. Is there any problems in doing that ?
I recommend ear plugs and some even like a blindfold to block out the reduced night lighting. Also a cheap $3 +/- throw blanket can come in handy. Jim

I'd check my wife as baggage and get a roomette for myself. Plenty of space in the baggage Car

I'll do that as soon as I get that knife out of my back! Ow! Honey, I was only kidding! :giggle:

Find a good Family Law lawyer and book a roomette. Let the adventureous one ride in coach and then have her take a look at the peace, privacy, good nights sleep, free meal, free coffee, free newspaper, free juice that you have in the morning after you have slept well for 8 hours and then ask her, "how was the non-claustraphobic night in coach go?" :lol: Man, look at getting a roomette or upgrading onboard (when the wheels are turning) and if she has a problem with it, well...she's the adventurous one! :help: I find sleeping in coach very difficult overnight. But that's just me! Good luck! Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back