I want to take a trip using points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been in AGR since it was created, joined within the first week in fact, and I don't recall the zones ever being different than they are today. The only real changes to awards, beyond increases in certain categories, was the creation of the Northeast zone and the 1,000 point special trains.
It was before I joined AGR, but I clearly recall seeing a zone chart showing

• the East zone to include cities like BOS, WAS, ORL, CHI, MEM and NOL
  • the Midwest zone to include CHI, MEM, NOL, ELP, ABQ, DEN and WPT
  • the West zone to include WPT, DEN, ABQ, ELP. LAX, EMY, PDX and SEA
I believe that was the old "All Aboard America" fare zones. There was discounted fares for one, two, or three zones with a 30 day travel limt. You were allowed one stopover in each direction too. Sleepers of course were extra. I used these quite a few times.

I've been in AGR since it was created, joined within the first week in fact, and I don't recall the zones ever being different than they are today. The only real changes to awards, beyond increases in certain categories, was the creation of the Northeast zone and the 1,000 point special trains.
It was before I joined AGR, but I clearly recall seeing a zone chart showing

• the East zone to include cities like BOS, WAS, ORL, CHI, MEM and NOL
  • the Midwest zone to include CHI, MEM, NOL, ELP, ABQ, DEN and WPT
  • the West zone to include WPT, DEN, ABQ, ELP. LAX, EMY, PDX and SEA
I believe that was the old "All Aboard America" fare zones. There was discounted fares for one, two, or three zones with a 30 day travel limt. You were allowed one stopover in each direction too. Sleepers of course were extra. I used these quite a few times.
I think you are right! (My mistake! :( ) I used them too!

So I just keep the was to atl tickets as a souvineer. Then take the was to rvr train on home. Is that correct? Will this come back to haunt me the next agr trip I take?
Yes, yes and it shouldn't.
Well I'm all set just waiting for MAY :) The way things are going right now in the country I really need a train ride to get my nerves together. Pray for our country.
well it's that time of year again when I start to work on my may vacation. Have things changed any since you help me put together my last two zone trip? This time I'm planning to go to OKJ using the 2 zone reward starting in cin and using the atlanta loophole to get back to was from lax. Are there anythings I should be on the lookout for?

well it's that time of year again when I start to work on my may vacation. Have things changed any since you help me put together my last two zone trip? This time I'm planning to go to OKJ using the 2 zone reward starting in cin and using the atlanta loophole to get back to was from lax. Are there anythings I should be on the lookout for?
No, it should be the same.

One suggestion, if you have the time, is to go via BUF. You mentioned going via CIN - would that be in coach to get there? :huh: CIN is the middle of the night, and I'm not sure if you will get a room to get there. You can go RVR-BUF for 3,000 points in coach. Then you can buy a cheap coach ticket (IIRC <$20) to TOL, and start your 2 zone award there! ;)

No, it should be the same.

One suggestion, if you have the time, is to go via BUF. You mentioned going via CIN - would that be in coach to get there? :huh: CIN is the middle of the night, and I'm not sure if you will get a room to get there. You can go RVR-BUF for 3,000 points in coach. Then you can buy a cheap coach ticket (IIRC <$20) to TOL, and start your 2 zone award there! ;)
Yes we will be going coach to cin. It was cheaper than going to tol. Plus we will also be on the same train when our reward trip kicks in. This will be my sister's first LD trip by train. Plus I'm hoping the attendant will let us in the room earlier if it is not occupied. not looking for a free meal or anything.

One thing I didn't mention is on the RVR-BUF routing, you can also use it on the LSL (I did :D ) so at midnight, you would be on the same train going to TOL! ;) And the chances of an empty room may be better. (The LSL is daily, and carries 3 sleepers. The Cardinal runs only 3 times a week - and only carries 1 sleeper and part of that is also used by the crew!)

Back