Ice for sleeping car passengers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another point. How is passengers getting ice with a scoop vary for the FDA from patrons of Nevada buffets and chain buffets getting food in service lines and using the serving utinsels? Braniacs at the FDA, explain that...
The problem isn't using common utensils; the problem is that people drop the ice scoop into the ice, since in most cases there is no place to store the scoop. Even when there is a place to actually store the scoop, many people fail to actually use it.

Even in a buffet, if someone drops the utensil into the food, both the food and the utensel is supposed to be replaced.
Maybe in reality, maybe not.
Which is why I said "supposed to be replaced". I realize that it doesn't always happen.

However, it is far more common that the ice scoop lands in the ice than the utensils land in the food.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid one day, laying in hospitals, dying of nothing.

Superliner II or not, it was still in 'as manufactured' condition. Or, might I venture - 'unrenovated'.
I might also add that it needed a serious refurbishment at least - those carpeted panels in the ceiling were black with diesel fumes.
In the circles I run, a "refurb" when referring to Superliners means: "Superliner I Sleeper, Empire Class Interior Refurbishment". Since that's what most people mean, it makes sense to limit it to that lest people get confused.

Ice has been a ongoing problem on western LD. I never did like the the ice chest siting out with out a scoop. It never bothered me that much I have lived with much worse but that was not in “civil society”

But I do want ice at will. An ice machine in the dining car would be ok with me a ice bucket like in a hotel and go get what you want. As it is I rome from car to car looking for ice or OJ. Any car I'm in will not have one or the other.

We have been taking a few zip lock bags and one of those soft coolers that will hold a 6 pack. That has worked out well in the past. 12/7 we will be taking a short run on the SWC that will be the first chance for me to see the “New Ice problem”

It may seem like a small deal but ice is a BIG part of my trip. Give me a ice good source OJ & apple juice other wise I make little demands on the car attendant.

Ice has been a ongoing problem on western LD. I never did like the the ice chest siting out with out a scoop. It never bothered me that much I have lived with much worse but that was not in “civil society”
But I do want ice at will. An ice machine in the dining car would be ok with me a ice bucket like in a hotel and go get what you want. As it is I rome from car to car looking for ice or OJ. Any car I'm in will not have one or the other.

We have been taking a few zip lock bags and one of those soft coolers that will hold a 6 pack. That has worked out well in the past. 12/7 we will be taking a short run on the SWC that will be the first chance for me to see the “New Ice problem”

It may seem like a small deal but ice is a BIG part of my trip. Give me a ice good source OJ & apple juice other wise I make little demands on the car attendant.
An single self serve ice machine in the dining and/or lounge car with sleeper passenger access would be awesome. Please make it happen. Make it self-regenerating so it does not deplete.

Ditto that post... :) . I understand having an ice machine in each car is unreasonable, but maybe a better system could be thought up. I don't like having to bug the attendant every time I want ice. They have more important things to be doing.

Ice has been a ongoing problem on western LD. I never did like the the ice chest siting out with out a scoop. It never bothered me that much I have lived with much worse but that was not in "civil society"

We have been taking a few zip lock bags and one of those soft coolers that will hold a 6 pack. That has worked out well in the past. 12/7 we will be taking a short run on the SWC that will be the first chance for me to see the "New Ice problem"

Ditto that post... :) . I understand having an ice machine in each car is unreasonable, but maybe a better system could be thought up. I don't like having to bug the attendant every time I want ice. They have more important things to be doing.
Aloha

Here is a note from the Amtrak"Travel Mall" Holiday 2009 issue, on page 77 is advertised 13894J Portable Clear Ice Maker. It makes 12 cubes every 6-8 minutes. That should satisfy the need for ice, Oh its 299 plus Shipping, and carrying it on your trips. :rolleyes:

:lol:

If they really did have such a thing as a "Amtrak 'Holiday Mall'"catologue with that many pages, Christmas would be so much easier!

If they really did have such a thing as a "Amtrak 'Holiday Mall'"catologue with that many pages, Christmas would be so much easier!
Aloha

Total number of Pages 243 and was in the seat back of one of the Amtrak trains I rode during the Gathering.

Aloha

Total number of Pages 243 and was in the seat back of one of the Amtrak trains I rode during the Gathering.

If that is seriously true, I'm astonished :eek: :lol: !
It's the same kind of magazine you find in the back of an airplane seat, not actually put out by the company but by a private store. They sell all kind of things, not necessarily things with an Amtrak logo on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back