Ice in sleepers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, they could put a bag of ice out for those boarding in the middle of the night. But are they going to somehow prohibit those that board (say) before 11 pm or after 5 am from taking any of that ice? And what do they do with the ice left over at 5:30 am? It can not just be put back, since FDA regulations do not allow it. (How do you know that one of those boarding passengers did not use his or her hands to get the ice?)

Yes, there is an FDA regulation that may or may not have been followed previously. There are also speed limit laws when driving. Should we eliminate or disregard them too between 11 pm and 5 am?

Jesus, folks, when someone is actually denied ice in a sleeper, post that. Otherwise quit neurosing about it.

Despite the absence of ice from the car in May on each of five different long distance trains all over the country, both Superliner and Viewliner, I was always to get ice from the attendant in a reasonably timely manner.

Ice is available. End of story.
It’s not necessary to use the Name of Jesus in that way. Thank you for your future restraint.

Reactions: JRR
When I board late at night I carry a smaller cooler of ice. I owned a business. I facilitate. And yes I have walked down and gotten my own ice. I do ask first. If I need a refill of iced tea at lunch and no one is around I refill my own glass and anyone at my table. I have helped in the diner when they are swamped (SWC 2016). I handle things nicely and politely and in 35 years of travels it has worked just fine.
I'm not going to go in to a deep explanation, but I'll just politely ask that you don't go touching things in the galley... If you do, be forewarned that some day you will come across that one crew that wants to follow the rules to a T, and will chew you out.
You trying to help out could turn in to a critical FDA violation, and you could put the crew in a real bad spot, unintentionally. All it would take is for someone's cup to touch the bottle while being refilled, and then it's contaminated.

Excuse me for not using precise enough language with the more metaphoric "dream". My expectation is that ice, like many services, would not be available in the middle of the night outside of crew service hours If I were boarding in the middle of the night and needed ice that night, I would plan ahead and take care of that need myself by bringing some along in a cooler, like Sauve850, assuming I could not wait until morning when the OBS crew comes on duty. I wouldn't expect to be able to buy a snack in the cafe upon boarding in the middle of the night, nor for breakfast service in the diner to be open. If I were hungry, I'd get a snack on the way. The FDA rule has been enforced, if spottily, for a few years now. A long time ago I stopped expecting an open ice cooler be available to the passengers for self service, though I was pleasantly surprised when there was one. It isn't that they took the ice away to provide poorer customer service, it was health regulation. I adapted by buying a cooler and asking for ice only once a day to fill it. What did you do to adapt? I ride quite a bit on long distance trains all over the country. I have always been able to get ice during crew service hours, although I have had to wait a bit sometimes, and the request was sometimes received grudgingly. But I got it. That is my subjective experience, I don't know of any metrics on it, so objective facts on the how frequently a passenger requesting ice fails to get it appear to be unavailable. Again, if I was met by "Do you know how far I have to walk" I would reply yes, I do know, you have to walk as far as the diner. And a mention that he'd either get a tip at the end of the trip or a report to Customer Relations, and let him choose. I am not the one you need to speak up to. I can't do anything about it. Customer Relations is who to talk to. Whinging here does nothing.
I never asked you to help me change the ice delivery process or to solve any other Amtrak related issue or problem. You made it clear you were trying to suppress an active discussion for no reason other than you didn't care for it. I simply pointed out that your snarky explanation did not line up with reality and that your opinion of a thread's value is not the arbiter of acceptability. Half the threads I click on hold little or no interest for me so I simply move along until I find something else. People who are new to Amtrak may reasonably interpret "Ice is available. End of story." to mean that it's the same as retrieving ice at a hotel or on an airplane. That would be an understandable mistake but also entirely incorrect. Better to be honest now than sympathetic later.

When I board late at night I carry a smaller cooler of ice. I owned a business. I facilitate. And yes I have walked down and gotten my own ice. I do ask first. If I need a refill of iced tea at lunch and no one is around I refill my own glass and anyone at my table. I have helped in the diner when they are swamped (SWC 2016). I handle things nicely and politely and in 35 years of travels it has worked just fine.
So did you let your customers casually retrieve their own supplies when and how they pleased while you were busy at this anything goes business of yours?

This preoccupation with ice always amazes me.
&

I am always amused over this fixation with ice.
Did you feel any deja vu when you wrote that? Maybe you should change your nickname to MikeonRepeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, everyone knows my pre-boarding Happy Hours (Lorton & Sanford) that extend into the on-board rooms. Entertaining a bunch from my car when someone passing by said "Did I hear someone say Lemoncello?". LOL LOL I said...Yes, cover charge is a bucket of ice!".

Opps...forgot to Sign-In

Well - it WAS "ice-related" LOL LOL

Ritchie.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually have no problem getting ice when I tell SCA's I'm diabetic. Never mind I'm not insulin dependent. They don't need to know everything.
default_wink.png
I'm one of a very few who doesn't indulge in adult beverages, but I still like ice with an occasional Diet Pepsi or bottled water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back