Ice on CL and CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

librarian

Train Attendant
On our recent trip, ice in the Sleepers was done four different ways on the CL and CZ round trip. On the CL westbound, you had to ask your attendance who would retrieve it from the dining car. On the CZ westbound, it was in a styrofoam cooler in the corner across from the coffee pot. CZ eastbound had ice in the compartment under the coffee pot. CL eastbound had it hidden in the attendant's room available for the asking.

Amtrak supposedly had noted on our reservation that my wife had insulin needing cooled, but no attendant could find such a notation.

My last trip on the CL from D.C. back home to Pittsburgh also didn't have any ice in my sleeper. I didn't really need it any way, since I was chugging coffee trying to stay awake from getting hardly any sleep the night before, and walking around D.C. all day.

On our recent trip, ice in the Sleepers was done four different ways on the CL and CZ round trip. On the CL westbound, you had to ask your attendance who would retrieve it from the dining car. On the CZ westbound, it was in a styrofoam cooler in the corner across from the coffee pot. CZ eastbound had ice in the compartment under the coffee pot. CL eastbound had it hidden in the attendant's room available for the asking.
The ice drawer under the coffee pot is a Superliner II feature. All Superliner I cars have a garbage can under the coffee pot instead.

As for why the one attendant hid it in his room, I can't explain that one at all. It makes no sense to me.

The rest do.

The ice drawer under the coffee pot is a Superliner II feature. All Superliner I cars have a garbage can under the coffee pot instead.

As for why the one attendant hid it in his room, I can't explain that one at all. It makes no sense to me.

The rest do.
Ahh, yeah mine had a trash can under the coffee pot, good tip! Is there anywhere to read more on things like this? How to identify cars and what trains have what equipment and so on.. I have seen the car rosters on the other site.

Last edited by a moderator:

The rest do.
Ahh, yeah mine had a trash can under the coffee pot, good tip! Is there anywhere to read more on things like this? How to identify cars and what trains have what equipment and so on.. I have seen the car rosters on the other site.
Sadly there is no one place that I'm aware of that will tell you whether you'll find Superliner I's or II's on any given train, nor how to tell the cars apart. The other big difference between Superliner I sleepers and II's is the closet or lack thereof in the roomettes. All the one have the slim closet in the room, the II's don't. They just have the steel loop for hangers, and the big strap to strap things down.

When I saw your subject line, I pictured trains coming into Chicago covered with snow and ice, and thought your post would be about the change of seasons. :p

AlanB said:
Sadly there is no one place that I'm aware of that will tell you whether you'll find Superliner I's or II's on any given train, nor how to tell the cars apart. The other big difference between Superliner I sleepers and II's is the closet or lack thereof in the roomettes. All the one have the slim closet in the room, the II's don't. They just have the steel loop for hangers, and the big strap to strap things down.
one way to tell them apart is look at the wheels. the superliner II have wheels that look like the horizon fleet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Superliner_trucks.jpg

the picture is split in two. the top is a superliner 1 the bottom a superliner 2.

AlanB said:
one way to tell them apart is look at the wheels. the superliner II have wheels that look like the horizon fleet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Superliner_trucks.jpg

the picture is split in two. the top is a superliner 1 the bottom a superliner 2.

Another way to tell them apart is by the car number. Those numbered 32000 - 32069 are Superliner I sleepers and 32070 - 32118 Superliner II sleepers.

Superliner II's are named after states, and they have the automatic flushing toilets. They also have the little grey window with digital/electronic for displaying the line number for the car. Example (2900 on the capitol, 531 on the zephyr.)

On my last trip on the CL, the attendant had set up a styrofoam ice-cooler and put it on the seat of an empty roomette.

He kept it full of ice throughout the trip from DC to Chicago. It was a nice touch, especially if you like to have a cocktail in your roomette like I do. :p

However, on the return trip, there was no ice avaiable to us. I asked the attendant if he was going to put out some ice for us, and he told me that since is against the rules, they never put out ice for sleeping car passengers! Go figure.

David

In addition to the different wheel sets, Superliner 1s have a row of rivets running the length of the car mid height.

As for ice, every time I've been in Sleeper it has been available and often when traveling Coach, the LSA in the Lounge will usually give you a cup full if you ask politely and slip a little something in the kitty.

Superliner II's are named after states, and they have the automatic flushing toilets. They also have the little grey window with digital/electronic for displaying the line number for the car. Example (2900 on the capitol, 531 on the zephyr.)
Funny you mentioned that This was in Salt Lake City, ---- East Bound !!!!!!!!!!! ----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railfreak/287...57607378805633/

Not display type, just wrong info.

This is Brenda #2900 Sleeper Attendant ( & GOOD!!!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railfreak/285...57607288550733/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back