If my uncle wants to go from St. Petersburg to Hartford

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cascadia

OBS Chief
My uncle in Florida has decided not to fly anymore. He has been taking a trip up to Connecticut every summer for a while now, but is in his seventies and not really up for driving, every time he does that trip he says "never again".

So I was trying to tell him he could take the train, he knows a little bit about it, like he knows the train stations in New York, he grew up in New Jersey. He has never taken a long train trip though, I don't think.

Anyway I was trying to look into an itinerary for him, he does not use the internet. This is really pointing up my ignorance of the east coast routes.

I put St. Petersburg and Hartford into the Amtrak fields and didn't come up with what I was after - it only gave me a three hour bus ride to the 98 Silver Meteor in Orlando. Didn't give me the 91 Silver Star which goes into Tampa, right? Much closer?

The routing I got broke it down into four segments. Two of them were buses. He knows enough to tell me that the trains coming from the south into NY use one station and the ones going north use the other. That's what he said anyway. So you would change trains there.

I was surprised it only gave me one routing, one option? I would think there would be multiple ways to route that city pair? What do I know! Not much!

The three hour bus ride, he would never go for that. The reason he decided he can't fly anymore is his prostate problem sends him to the restroom too often. I told him that the train would work perfectly with that problem.

Another question, are all the East Coast trains commuter trains? Will he be packed like a sardine in cramped seats? Are all of them not like long distance equipment?

I figure some of you know a whole lot more about the options out there than I do, and I told my uncle I would help him out with this, if you guys can make some suggestions I would appreciate it very much. I feel like I ran into some kind of brick wall of ignorance of my own.

Last edited by a moderator:
if your departing from st.petersburge/clearwater FL that stop is only servec by bus. you would need to find a close train station.

this is what i got for tuesday march 9th

6098 Bus

Service Alert

2010-03-09T10:05:00.000-05:00 St. Petersburg, FL

Clearwater

(STP)

Departs: 10:05 AM

Tue Mar 09 2010

St. Petersburg, FL - Clearwater (STP)

Station News

Arrives: 1:00 PM

Tue Mar 09 2010

Orlando, FL (ORL)

Station News

PT32H Duration: 2 hr, 55 min

Amenities

Checked baggage

Seat 1 Reserved Thruway Seat

98 Silver Meteor

Service Alert

Departs: 1:57 PM

Tue Mar 09 2010

Orlando, FL (ORL)

Station News

Arrives: 11:36 AM

Wed Mar 10 2010

New York, NY - Penn Station (NYP)

Station News

Duration: 21 hr, 39 min

Amenities

Checked baggage Lounge Dining car

Seat 1 Reserved Coach Seat

Other Options Sold Out

176 Northeast Regional

Service Alert

Departs: 3:30 PM

Wed Mar 10 2010

New York, NY - Penn Station (NYP)

Station News

Arrives: 5:06 PM

Wed Mar 10 2010

New Haven, CT (NHV)

Station News

Duration: 1 hr, 36 min

Amenities

Snack car

Seat:18.00 1 Business Class Seat

(add $18.00)

476 Shuttle

Service Alert

Departs: 5:15 PM

Wed Mar 10 2010

New Haven, CT (NHV)

Station News

Arrives: 6:05 PM

Wed Mar 10 2010

Hartford, CT (HFD) Hartford, CT

Hartford

(HFD)

Station News

Duration: 0 hr, 50 min

Amenities

just that one bus. the Shuttle is a amtrak train.

Cascadia,

Your uncle is right, at least for when he lived in NJ you sometimes had to change train stations between Penn & Grand Central. Not any more, all train leave out of Penn Station.

Now the issue here regarding the bus. You are correct, there is indeed a train that comes into Tampa that would shorten the bus ride from St. Pete. The problem is that train, the Silver Star, gets to NY too late to catch the last train out that day to Hartford. The last train to Hartford leaves at 6:40 PM, and the Silver Star doesn't arrive into NY until 7:16 PM scheduled. And of course it could well be late.

It is for this reason that Amtrak.com has him riding the bus over to Orlando, as that bus connects with the Silver Meteor which will get to NY early enough for him to catch one of several trains to Hartford.

So the only way to avoid the bus ride would be for him to overnight someplace, be it NY, DC, Orlando, or some other city along the way where the Star and the Meteor run on the same routing. Going home it shouldn't be a problem getting him into Tampa with a same day connection from Harford. But northbound the only choices are, get someone to drive him to say Orlando, Winter Haven, or Kissimmee; take the bus; or overnight someplace along the way.

And the long distance coaches are similar to the Superliner cars you rode when they were running on the Cascades service for a while. They aren't bi-level, but the seats are similar in nature. The train from NY to Hartford will have less room between the rows of seats than the Superliners did, but more than say what you might find on Sounder.

Hey AmtrakWolverine, thanks for experimenting with the booking, that's the same as what I came up with, I was surprised there weren't more options.

And Alan, thanks for all your explanations, that's a lot of good information for sure, which I appreciate very much, and what I was hoping for when I started this thread. I was looking at the timetable and thinking I was in over my head. You gave the perfect description of why the Silver Star wasn't showing up!

I'll talk to my uncle some more, I would hate to see him stop going to visit his friends in Connecticut and Massachussetts every year. Maybe it would be worth it for him, to stay a night in New York. He loves New York I know.

And you knew how the arrangements have changed at the NY train stations . . . I would never have known that and my uncle wouldn't know it had changed either. So thanks for your reply.

My uncle is kind of set in his ways, it is hard to get him to try new things, at least I get that impression. He's not against encouragement though :) he's willing to at least talk about options!

The routing I got broke it down into four segments. Two of them were buses.
One more thing I want to point out is that by your statement, you believe the "Shuttle" from New Haven is a bus! It is not - it is a 2 car train! And in New Haven, it is an across the platform transfer! And if the arriving train is late, the departing shuttle is late by the same amount! ;)

One more thing I want to point out is that by your statement, you believe the "Shuttle" from New Haven is a bus! It is not - it is a 2 car train! And in New Haven, it is an across the platform transfer! And if the arriving train is late, the departing shuttle is late by the same amount! ;)
Oh neat! Of course I thought it was a bus! Thanks very much!

i told you that also in my post.

here's a video of it

i told you that also in my post.

here's a video of it

Now I see, sorry I overlooked that! Thanks for the video too, and for posting that itinerary above. This helps me and I hope it helps someone else too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back