"IF ONLY I COULD HAVE ONE WISH!"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the BOS section of the LSL gets a Bag/Dorm and the NYP section of the LSL also gets a Bag/Dorm, there will only be two crew members in the BOS dorm (the coach attendant and cafe attendant), assuming that the sleeper attendant stays in the sleeper, and assuming that the BOS section stays at two coaches and continues to not have its own dining car. So you'd be proposing that Amtrak should lose probably over $1000 a day in revenue from the 7 roomettes that would be wasted in each daily departure in this scheme.
If Amtrak ever runs two bag/dorms on the LSL, I'll be at Mass. Ave. giving the person who decided such a dressing down you wouldn't believe. They wouldn't do it. It simply makes no sense.
No worries GML, you won't have to protest that one.

Boston will get a straight bag most likely, while NY will get the bag/dorm. Slight chance that Amtrak could reverse things and go the other way, with a full bag out of NYP and the bag/dorm out of Boston. But they won't put two dorms on the train, unless they add more coaches and more dining car staff.

The option numbers skip my mind, but the basic order is:

25 Sleepers

25 Diners

25 Baggage Dorms

50 full Baggage

If the BOS section of the LSL gets a Bag/Dorm and the NYP section of the LSL also gets a Bag/Dorm, there will only be two crew members in the BOS dorm (the coach attendant and cafe attendant), assuming that the sleeper attendant stays in the sleeper, and assuming that the BOS section stays at two coaches and continues to not have its own dining car. So you'd be proposing that Amtrak should lose probably over $1000 a day in revenue from the 7 roomettes that would be wasted in each daily departure in this scheme.
I do not disagree with what you're saying. My current thought is that such a car could run in addition to the current sleeper on the BOS section. As I understand it, there is usually very little in the baggage car. Something like my fantastical sketch could provide the amount of baggage space that is actually needed and increase revenue space.

But hey, I'm just trying to defend my sketch. I recognize that it's entirely unrealistic, and every few months I allow myself to be momentarily unrealistic. I don't believe the thread initiator required the wishes to be realistic. If I can award my (admittedly bad) suggestion even the tiniest merit, I will attempt to do so (though it's clearly futile in this case).

Realistically, my wish is for Amtrak to have significantly greater fleet flexibility, which will only come with time (and consistent funding). Two bag/dorms would make little sense on the LSL, but there's no reason I can't say/sketch something pointless every now and again. Especially when "wishes" are involved.

If Amtrak ever runs two bag/dorms on the LSL, I'll be at Mass. Ave. giving the person who decided such a dressing down you wouldn't believe. They wouldn't do it. It simply makes no sense.
It actually doesn't. Illogical things have happened before, but I can't imagine Amtrak running two in service on the Lake Shore. If one was a deadhead, I can imagine seeing two (though, of course, that's not what you mean).

Actually Plate H (double stack) or Plate K (triple auto rack) clear 20' 3", or so, which gives you a couple of feet or three worth of room above the roof of Supers for a dome. Supers fit within Plate F (17') I believe.
You would need to be careful to not make a 20' passenger car too top heavy, though. Having double stack freight roll over is somewhat less unacceptable than having a passenger car roll over.

But if you're going to make taller cars, the other possibility to consider is whether you could make either three level cars, or sleepers with compartments that have more vertical space (somewhat like Viewliner compartments).
3 more feet won't give you a third level :)

How many double-stack or triple auto rack rollovers are you aware of to date. Spending too much time on your HO set lately? ;)

The Alaska RR bi-level obs cars are actually taller than Supers anyway.

I simply wish Amtrak would restore service to Nashville, TN. Tennessee is probably the most underserved State in the USA except for those States were there is no Amtrak service at all. Bah! Humbug!

By the way, May 1-2 Nashville and most of Middle and West Tennesee surffered the most devastating and historic rainfall and flooding exceeding 15+ inches and $1.56 billion damage just in Nashville alone. 1,000's of home were flood damaged and over 23,000 individual family units have already registered with FEMA for flood damage assistance. Over 25 lives were lost just in Tennessee. And we were basically ignored by the national media. Why? Because Tennesseans began neighbor helping neighbor rescuing and recovery and now rebuilding. There was no significant incidences of looting and absolutely no rioting. Nashville is still the music capitol of the world and the music plays on. We will recover, rebuild and be greater than ever. WE ARE NASHVILLE!

By the way, May 1-2 Nashville and most of Middle and West Tennesee surffered the most devastating and historic rainfall and flooding exceeding 15+ inches and $1.56 billion damage just in Nashville alone. 1,000's of home were flood damaged and over 23,000 individual family units have already registered with FEMA for flood damage assistance. Over 25 lives were lost just in Tennessee. And we were basically ignored by the national media. Why? Because Tennesseans began neighbor helping neighbor rescuing and recovery and now rebuilding. There was no significant incidences of looting and absolutely no rioting. Nashville is still the music capitol of the world and the music plays on. We will recover, rebuild and be greater than ever. WE ARE NASHVILLE!
I suppose there would have been more coverage if there were claims of racism (which, in NOL, were actually valid).

3 more feet won't give you a third level :)
How many double-stack or triple auto rack rollovers are you aware of to date. Spending too much time on your HO set lately? ;)

The Alaska RR bi-level obs cars are actually taller than Supers anyway.
Iunno, Jishnu, the NJT Multilevels are 14'6" and are bi-level. 5' 6" more... if you were to remove 2 inches from each of the other two floors... You'd have a tri level that would fit only the shorter Asian people. But a tri level nonetheless.

That Amtrak over the years, could have come up with a uniform profile for it's single level cars. Between the Amtubes, Horizon, Heritage, and Viewliner, P40/42's, smooth side, fluted side, there trains just seem pieced together.

Same crap happened in Mississippi after Katrina. Mississippians didn't cry like babies and started working so New Orleans got all the attention. Mississippi got a hell of a lot worse beating from that storm.

Iunno, Jishnu, the NJT Multilevels are 14'6" and are bi-level. 5' 6" more... if you were to remove 2 inches from each of the other two floors... You'd have a tri level that would fit only the shorter Asian people. But a tri level nonetheless.
That is true. But I was making the reasonable assumption that we were talking about something that would be acceptable to Amtrak in the US ;)

Along those line we could even do a quadri-level sleeper which provided accommodation like in those coffin hotels in Tokyo too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back