"IF ONLY I COULD HAVE ONE WISH!"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That human beings would stop being so idiotic as to submit to the intolerable indignities perpetuated upon them, wasting so many man hours, so many billions of man hours, so as to completely waste more statistical lifetimes than the number lost in all terrorist losses of life in U.S. Transportation history.

There's talk around here that Amtrak might run a line to Dubuque with a stop in either Huntley or Marengo, Illinois. Because either one of those would be within 15 minutes of my home, my wish would be that this talk becomes a reality.

A new generation of Viewliners that have more than two bedrooms per car. This way the Crescent and LSL can offer more than two bedrooms per train or a refurbished Viewliner sleeper that is all bedroom.

A new generation of Viewliners that have more than two bedrooms per car. This way the Crescent and LSL can offer more than two bedrooms per train or a refurbished Viewliner sleeper that is all bedroom.
It would be nice it they had a car for only bedrooms and cars for only roomettes. That twist in the hall gets annoying when you are trying to move luggage around.

It would be nice it they had a car for only bedrooms and cars for only roomettes. That twist in the hall gets annoying when you are trying to move luggage around.
Amtrak does have a few "Deluxe Sleeper Cars" (Superliner) which have only bedrooms upstairs. Downstairs they have the usual 4 Roomettes, Family Bedroom & H Bedroom. They are used on the Auto Train.

I don't know if there are any "Roomette Only" cars, other than the old Slumber Coaches.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I was smart enuff to understand what GML posted............

And that every LD train had a dome, diner, full sleeper, and PPC. And ran twice a day.

And we had Auto Train-like service to Florida from the midwest, and X the country too.

And everything that Ryan said too. 'Cause then even some of these "fairy tale wishes" might come true.

And AAAAAARGH!'s wish too, at least ONE 200+ mph train would be kinda nice, in the country that landed 12 men on the moon, and returned them safely to earth.........

Amtrak does have a few "Deluxe Sleeper Cars" (Superliner) which have only bedrooms upstairs. Downstairs they have the usual 4 Roomettes, Family Bedroom & H Bedroom. They are used on the Auto Train.

I don't know if there are any "Roomette Only" cars, other than the old Slumber Coaches.
Amtrak does not have any all roomette cars. Slumbercoaches did not count as such since they had both single rooms and double rooms (however narrow and small).

The private railroads before Amtrak had many more types of sleeping car rooms and floor plans than we have today. And there were several types of all roomette cars back then.

Also keep in mind that the preAmtrak word "roomette" always meant a room for one, unless, perhaps,it carried a mother with a small child.

Amtrak does not have any all roomette cars. Slumbercoaches did not count as such since they had both single rooms and double rooms (however narrow and small).

The private railroads before Amtrak had many more types of sleeping car rooms and floor plans than we have today. And there were several types of all roomette cars back then.

Also keep in mind that the preAmtrak word "roomette" always meant a room for one, unless, perhaps,it carried a mother with a small child.
Yes Bill you are absolutely correct about the pre-Amtrak roomettes. I don't recall seeing married couples in anything smaller than a bedroom and really envied those in the compartments, drawing rooms and that grand daddy of them all~ the Master Room. :)

Bill: Do the Superliner Trandorms count as all roomettes since thats all they have upstairs? I only rode in a slumbercoach once, on the old Crescent from WAS to Greenville,S.C.,found them uncomfortable due to my height

but the price was sure right! ;) Two days until I catch the Eagle N by NE on my trip to PHL for NTD!(Wonder if Eva Marie Saint will be in the diner! :D ) See you @ 30th St. when the Crescent pulls in, looking forward to meeting you, picking your brain about Southern Trains and the old days! :) :) :)

Should be a blast with a large group there, wonder if Amtrak will lay on extra Security cause of AU? Jim :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill: Do the Superliner Trandorms count as all roomettes since thats all they have upstairs? I only rode in a slumbercoach once, on the old Crescent from WAS to Greenville,S.C.,found them uncomfortable due to my heightbut the price was sure right! ;) Two days until I catch the Eagle N by NE on my trip to PHL for NTD!(Wonder if Eva Marie Saint will be in the diner! :D ) See you @ 30th St. when the Crescent pulls in, looking forward to meeting you, picking your brain about Southern Trains and the old days! :) :) :)

Should be a blast with a large group there, wonder if Amtrak will lay on extra Security cause of AU? Jim :lol:

Good point. I was thinking of a full length car devoted all to passengers. Guess it is a matter of semantics

Good point. I was thinking of a full length car devoted all to passengers. Guess it is a matter of semantics
Bill, at some point in time weren't there full length Section cars? Admittedly no rooms but if there were such they would be a car full of cheap sleeping accommodation.

Bill, at some point in time weren't there full length Section cars? Admittedly no rooms but if there were such they would be a car full of cheap sleeping accommodation.

Yes, indeed. There were many many different floor plans,incuding cars which were all section. 16 sections was one of them.

Aloha

This idea, or comment, makes me think about and wonder if a section sleeper and Dome car could be combined and be a successful combination. something like 30 bunks and 30 seats upstairs. Or other numbers depending on real space needs.

I hiope that all those wishing for domes realize that a dome mixed into a Superliner consist is useless. You won't be able to see over the Superliner cars, so most of the charm of the dome would be wasted. And a dome that could see over the tops of the Superlier cars is a dome that won't make it through many of the tunnels out there.

I would love for true high speed rail to exist such that I could get from BOS - NYP in something like 2 hours, or from BOS - WAS in four hours. That would be AMAZING. But it would still need to make major stops like PVD along the way :lol:

My one wish is for Florida to have statewide rail service by restoring Silver Palm, Sunset Limited and FEC line and run more often instead one daily train.

Easy. For my ENTIRE STATE to have a decent stop, with a station building where a daytime train stops, instead of (or, shoot, even in addition to!) the four unmanned shelters at its extreme eastern and western edges, at each of which a single train stops in the middle of the night, sometimes only three times a week!

I hiope that all those wishing for domes realize that a dome mixed into a Superliner consist is useless. You won't be able to see over the Superliner cars, so most of the charm of the dome would be wasted. And a dome that could see over the tops of the Superlier cars is a dome that won't make it through many of the tunnels out there.
Actually Plate H (double stack) or Plate K (triple auto rack) clear 20' 3", or so, which gives you a couple of feet or three worth of room above the roof of Supers for a dome. Supers fit within Plate F (17') I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back