Illinois Railfanning

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

J-1 3235

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
My apologies for the delay in posting the second half of my TR.

Thankfully, Saturday morning arrived warm and dry. After breakfast, Rob and I spent a little more time over at the Rochelle RR Park. We saw a few more UP freights, but only one BNSF. After we squared up with the innkeeper, we headed for Union, IL, home of the Illinois Railway Museum.

Our decision to travel the country roads, instead of the highways, proved to be a good one. Many more views of rural farmland and villages. We arrived at the IRM just before noon. Put off a visit to the gift shop 'til later in the day. After a stop in the first barn, we headed for the diner to meet a friend of Rob's for lunch. From there we spent the remainder of the day exploring the many barns full of all types of railroad and transit equipment.

We also enjoyed a ride in an early CTA car on the Main line. Also, a ride around the loop in an old Chicago streetcar. Missed a chance to ride behind one of the Burlington Northern E units, but I definately see a return visit in the future.

From the IRM, Rob and I started towards his home in Milwaukee. We stopped and had a delicious Italian dinner at Ann's Italian Restaurant in Hales Corners, WI. After dinner we made our way to the Milwaukee Amtrak Station. I needed to cancel my Hiawatha ticket, as Rob suggested I use Metra from Kenosha in the morning.

While at MKE, we met up with the conductor and engineer of a rather late southbound Hiawatha. They were under slow orders on the way to MKE, which made the turn-around train late, also. The Hiawatha in the station had a Cascades cabbage in the lead.

Rob and I left his home fairly early on Sunday, as we wanted to make a stop out on Wind Point. The tallest lighthouse in Wisconsin is on the tip of Wind Point. I took a few pictures then we left for Kenosha.

After a brief stop for tea and a fritter, we arrived in Kenosha. Rob and I had our refreshments on the platform while we watched train 334 move back and forth by the platform to get onto the correct track for departure at 8:49. I thanked Rob for his hospitality, and we said our goodbyes.

I arrived at the Ogilvie Transportation Center on time at 10:30. As I made my way through the station, I thought about the time I spent here in October of 2007, at the first AU Gathering. I was thankful we had lunch there because now I knew how to get over to Chicago Union Station with ease ;) .

My first stop was at a Quick-Trak to pickup my tickets for home. Then to the Metropolitan Lounge to store my bag for the day. After a short, leisurely stroll, I was in front of Giordano's, right on time for their 11:30 opening. I'll have to admit, I could not finish the small stuffed pizza I ordered; only made it 2/3rd through.

After lunch, I boarded the CTA Orange line at Quincy, and travelled around to Randolph. From there I walked up to the Michigan Avenue bridge and down to the Wendella Boats dock. While I had previously enjoyed the River Architecture tour, this time I selected the River and Lake tour. The portion on the Chicago River is shorter, to allow time to pass through the locks into Lake Michigan.

Once the tour was complete, I walked south along Michigan Ave then turned west to get to the El. I took another ride on the El, to Quincy. Then back to the Met lounge for a while. A little later, I ventured out and to the El again. This time I travelled to Adams, then I visited Miller's Pub for dinner. Since the Lakeshore Limited doesn't serve dinner eastbound, I figured I should have something before I board. Back to Quincy on the Pink Line, and it nearly time to board 448. I had purchased a one-day CTA pass online a few weeks before my vacation.

The Lounge Attendant called us to the gate at 7:30, and we headed for the platform on track 24. As expected, the Boston sleeper, 4820, was up front, which made for a long walk with my rather heavy luggage.

Once onboard, I stowed my stuff in Room B, and made my way back to the 'diner'. I was seated with a couple from Oregon; they were making their way across the country, stopping often to take in the sights. The 'Welcome Aboard' reception was nice, the cheese and crackers were tasty. I had opted for the sparkling cider.

I returned to my room just as the coach passengers were boarding. I realized the seats had been assigned when one of the passengers asked why seat 34 was next to 78 :huh: Once they realized the numbers were 3 and 4, not 34, they were all set ;)

Dee, our attendant, came by to introduce herself and explain the feature of the room. I asked that she turn down the top bunk, as many of you have suggested. Thanks, I like this arrangement.

Breakfast consisted of the cheddar omelete, with turkey sausage. The omelete was good; the sausage, not so much. Alex was the SA for our table. I've been served by Alex on quite a few trips;he was, as always, pleasant and effecient. I went back to my room to read and listen to the scanner.

Train 448 left Erie a little late, as was our departure from Buffalo. The LSA came by at 11:40 for lunch reservations. I selected 12:30. Only one other person was seated with me at lunch. Unfortuately, she expected to be seated by herself :angry: The only words she spoke were to order her meal, not another word. Made for a really pleasant lunch.......I chose the pastrami sandwich, with Chocolate ice cream for dessert. Since I wouldn't see Alex for dinner, I thanked him and left an ample tip for his service.

We arrived in Schenectady at 2:30. Heard over the scanner about a cab signal problem. The engineer talked with mechanical, and resolved the problem. We departed SDY 45 minutes down. Once we arrived in Albany/Rensselaer, the stationmaster instructed the engineer to pull the lead unit off of the Boston section. I gather because of its cab signal issues.

While on the platform I noted that car 4820 was the 'Village View', and it still had remants of a Northeast Direct Twilight Shoreline decal near the door.

Dee stopped by to advise me of the 5:00 seating for dinner. The 'Cold Meal Service' choices were either the beef filet with potatoes and baby spinach, or the chicken with beans and cous cous. My tablemate and I opted for the beef; the couple across from us selected one of each. I thought the beef dish was pretty good, except that it was cold. The folks with both choices felt the chicken was better, though they didn't eat much of either. Dessert choices were tiramisu or strawberry mousse. I selected the strawberry mousse, though the container was labelled strawberry tiramisu. It was more like strwberry shortcake.

We departed Springfield 30 minutes late, and Framingham 45 minutes late. Managed to make South Station nine minutes early! Plenty of time to buy a ticket for MBTA train 055, the 9:30 departure.

In closing, I'm very happy the Viewliner has returned to 448 :)

Thanks for reading!

Mike

J-1, you were a little more than stone's throw from my home when you were at the RR Museum in Union. I live about 6 miles from there and have to agree that traveling the country roads is better than the highways.

J-1, you were a little more than stone's throw from my home when you were at the RR Museum in Union. I live about 6 miles from there and have to agree that traveling the country roads is better than the highways.
Betty, I didn't realize your home is near the IRM. I guess we'll have to wait until the Gathering in Boston to say hello!

Mike

Betty, I didn't realize your home is near the IRM. I guess we'll have to wait until the Gathering in Boston to say hello!

Mike
I'm in Union frequently to go to the little post office in town there. We're out here in the country surrounded by corn fields.

See you in Boston.

Betty

I visited my uncle and aunt in Illinois in 2006 prior to a Chicago-Los Angeles Southwest Chief trip. Other than the Amtrak trip, the highlight was a trip to Union and the Illinois Railway Museum. Hopefully I'll get back there sometime.

One of the things Tom ran into when he was there a couple of years ago is that for some unknown reason, when it's hot out, it's 10 times hotter at the RR Museum. I noticed that when I've been there. I live very close to it and it's not as hot at home as it is there. Maybe because there aren't a lot of trees, I don't know, but it can really feel ungodly hot there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back