I'm a bit naive

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Dave

Lead Service Attendant
I've seen the term "loophole" trip used several times on the site, but can't say for sure what it is. Can you offer some insight?

:blink:

The don't exist anymore, it seems.

The theory was that due to the zone routing that AGR uses, you could book some really long trips for small numbers of points.

For example, Slidell, LA was a popular spot to start from. Being in the Central Zone, you could book a trip from there to LA as a 2 zone reward, but since there isn't a same day connection to the SL in NOL it would allow you to go from there to WAS on the Crescent, then to CHI on the CL, then on to LA on the SWC - 4 nights on the train. It may have even been possible to get a routing from CHI-PDX-LAX on the EB and CS giving you an extra night on the train.

Sadly, with no rule change and unannounced, AGR quit letting people book those trips for 2 zones.

In June, I maid reservations for DEN-PDX-TPA & they wanted to charge me 50,000 pts. Still scratching my head about that one. Since I had already booked it the opposite direction (TPA-PDX-DEN) & was only charged 35,000, they finally let me have it for 35k! The reason for me switching directions was everyone's suggestion of going EB on the Zephyr out of Denver! The reason for charging me 50k was " Customized Routing"?????

So being relatively new to Amtrak, I guess I'd better be careful in my planning!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the Loophole routings still exist; it just cost more Points to take them since AGR now calculates how many Zones you travel through rather than the origin and destination Zones. I took the very famous Kansas City-Columbus WI Loophole last July for 35,000 Points (and got a 10% Point rebate)and it was worth every Point and then some. All I needed to "close" the Circle was a $21 Coach ticket from CBS-CHI (stayed in the Sleeper) and then 1,500 Points for CHI-STL-Kansas City.

I've now got my eyes on a nice 1 Zone Loophole from Norman to New Orleans via Ft. Worth and Chicago :)

Actually the Loophole routings still exist; it just cost more Points to take them . . .
I agree that AGR travel still is a wonderful bargain, but isn't your statement kind of like saying that happy hour is still on, you just have to pay full price for your beer? I don't think that Norman-Fort Worth-Chicago-New Orleans is a one-zone loophole the same way Minot-Chicago-Washington-Slidell was.

I love Rail Freak' anecdote, showing that AGR still can't quite figure out how to book these trips.

It was fun while it lasted, though, and I'm grateful for the people on this site who introduced me to the concept.

In any case it's an ill wind that blows no good. The end of loophole pricing does cement Wolf Point's position as the queen city of AGR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back