Im back!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P40Power

OBS Chief
I havent been around for a while because things have been pretty busy around here, I have been checking the posts on this board every now and then to keep my self semi up to date. I hope everyone has been doing well.

Anyways, so yesterday I took a trip along with a group of other people that my mom works with by bus to Boston to see the city for a day and then go to the Sox game at Fenway Park later on in the evening.

The Trip was a typical bus trip, but things got interesting as we headed to Boston. I noticed on Interstate 90 that we began to Parallell CSX's B&A main line, There was no traffic on it but it was interesting to see how this part of the line was routed. We also passed Bacon Park Yard, which really isnt very big (Boston isnt a very major point on the system). I got exited though as we neared downtown and a new stretch of tracks joined the B&A from the southeast, these tracks had catenary - the Northeast Corridor!!

Then as we were about to enter the Centeral Artery I looked off and in the distance there was an Amfleet Coach I noticed, and as I got closer I saw a Viewliner and a baggage car up front, it was the Lake Shore sitting out in the yard before its departure, there seemed to be one other Amfleet trainset sitting by it as well, but besides that it looked quite empty, no locomotives on the front of the Lake Shore yet, as it was about 1045 or so - an hour before departure.

We were dropped off by the aquarium, we visted there, and then went for a walk through the city and we ended up right by South Station, so I wanted to stop in and see if I could see an Acela Express in there, or any other kind of electric locomotive as I havent seen one in real lift before.

South Station wasnt hard to get lost in, ha it wasnt as big as I expected it to be, but maybe there is much more to it. We walked right through the place and there it was, an Acela trainset with powercar 2002 near the bufferpost. Now there was quite a few people waiting around at Tables and such for trains, along with a few Pigeons inside. It was about 2 PM. I wanted to take a closer look at the Acela, so I walked right past the security guys as well as station personal without them even turning their heads.

I have a new found appreciation for the Acela seeing it up close, it looks very sleek and fast. It was spotless execpt for some kind of rather large stain looking mark on its nose. It was just sitting there quiet with a fan running and thats all. Very cool, and again no one said anything about us out on the platform checking the Acela out!

There were no other Amtrak consists in the station at that time, but there were three MBTA commuter trains, one of which was boarding for points south I think. They all had the Kawasaki bi-level cars, I recall them having their finishing touches applied to them in Pittsfield back in 1990 or so.

For some reason I pictured South Station as a bigger place, but it seemed like pretty nice station. My brother said the restroom was DISGUSTING though, the worse hes ever been in.

But after seeing the action down in Boston, and how great of a city it is (pretty clean, and unintimidating I thought!!) Im defiantly heading back down there sometime to ride the Acela! Hopefully sooner then later.

Another thing, I wish Amtrak had another train that got into Boston in the late morning from Albany and other intermediate points and one that heads back later in the evening, because Id love to take the train down there and back, but with the current Lake Shore Limited schedule, the timings are terrible!!

By the way, the game at Fenway, as well as the atmosphere there was AWESOME, the Red Sox beat the Blue Jays 5-4 in one great game!!

Glad you enjoyed things on your trip to Boston.

I tend to share your views of Acela, South Station and Boston itself. Quite enjoyable.

I visited Boston once many years ago, about 30 or so, and then nothing....until the last two or three years and I have been twice.

I will certainly go again!

The next time I go, Im definatly taking the T to get around a bit better, because walking is tough (as it is in ANY city) because of all the traffic and there was a ton of construction going on. Felt the rumble of the subway a couple of times, thats probably the way to go.

But I think I may take the train from Pittsfield to Newburyport (MBTA) sometime to visit my aunt and uncle, but whats the best way to get to North Station, isnt it by transfering via subway at Back Bay Station?

Another thing, I wish Amtrak had another train that got into Boston in the late morning from Albany and other intermediate points and one that heads back later in the evening, because Id love to take the train down there and back, but with the current Lake Shore Limited schedule, the timings are terrible!!
You aren't the only one, but unless CSX fixes the line to allow for quicker running and double tracks places it's doubtful that will happen anytime soon.

But I think I may take the train from Pittsfield to Newburyport (MBTA) sometime to visit my aunt and uncle, but whats the best way to get to North Station, isnt it by transfering via subway at Back Bay Station?
Depending on when your train arrives and when the Newburyport train departs you should take the Red Line from South Station and switch to the Green Line at Park Street, but if you have more flexibility you can take the Orange Line from Back Bay but it isn't as frequent as the Red or Green Lines and doesn't offer you the railfan's perspective.

The next time I go, Im definatly taking the T to get around a bit better, because walking is tough (as it is in ANY city) because of all the traffic and there was a ton of construction going on. Felt the rumble of the subway a couple of times, thats probably the way to go.
Not many people prefer to walk around Boston unless they are walking around Back Bay or the North End. The Big Dig has made walking around downtown pretty tough, especially when crews are dismantling sections of the roadway. The T is the best possible option outside of driving, Trains go to the places most people want to go and they are pretty frequent on most lines(if you have enough time that is). If you have the chance, the Red Line and Green Line are pretty visitor freindly as they hit some major points of interest and offer you a "railfan's view" out the front of most of their cars. The Blue and Orange Lines don't hit many major points of interest, although they do offer a unique perspective over their routes.

Well I'm typing this post from my hotel in Boston. I rode up on an Acela Express today, leaving NYP at 5:00 pm. I met Amfleet in Penn Station this afternoon, took him for a short subway ride to South Ferry. We then returned to Penn and relaxed in the Club Acela for about 45 minutes.

Then we boarded our Acela in First Class for our trip to Boston. While I've made many a trip to Boston on Acela, this was Amfleet's second trip. He rode down this morning in Business Class for his first ride ever, then returned with me in First Class for his second Acela ride ever and his first ride in First Class on Acela.

I'll let him tell you more, but I think that he had a great time. :)

P-40 Power, glad you got to enjoy your time in Beantown. I had a great time on the Acela, both in Business Class and First Class. I also enjoyed the small trip Alan took me on to South Ferry in New York. Early that morning, before heading down to NYP on the Acela, I took a trip out on the MBTA Franklin Line to Forge Park/Route 495 (a route I had not covered before).

BTW, I'll have a short travelogue on this trip when I get a chance to write it up.

Not many people prefer to walk around Boston unless they are walking around Back Bay or the North End. The Big Dig has made walking around downtown pretty tough, especially when crews are dismantling sections of the roadway.
Man I agree with you there, it seemed like around every corner there was construction. Down my South Station they had those amazingly high cranes that were dizzying to look at, which was pretty neat as well as some other strange looking buildings that were in the process of being built. But the Big Dig, the finished part that we went through rode like a rowboat in the ocean with all these waves in the road!! And the parts that were in the process of being built, the construction workers didnt seem too into it. One guy in a CAT excavator was taking a nap in the middle of the afternoon inside the cab, haha what a stressful looking job that is! :p

But yes the construction did make walking a bit tougher, next time Im gonna check out the subway! That would have probably been the easiest and fastest way to get to South Station from the Aquarium because that was quite a walk (we also took an extended walk to get there though through the Financial district. You could tell we were out of towners gawking at the skyscrapers. I thought those buildings were quite amazing, but they couldnt compare to the Sears Tower which Ive seen in Chicago!!

But I wanna make a trip out there, maybe take a short trip down to New Haven (Or even Providence and back) on the Acela and come back on the Regional to see what this high speed stuff is all about! Maybe take the Lake Shore down there and stay over a night, go for a ride on the NEC and T and then head up to Newburyport later on the next day!

The Acela sounds like its worth it after reading all the trip reports and stuff online, I havent read hardly any bad ones at all. It doesnt seem like you can set your watch to them, but the riders dont seem to mind because overall it seems to be a very nice train passenger wise and most of the time its not very late at all, usually about 15 mins which isnt too bad! And I must say its gonna be one of the best looking trains Ive ever seen, was like WOW when I saw it!! My dad goes "it doesnt look much different then a Genesis at all, yeah right!

AlanB said:
Well I'm typing this post from my hotel in Boston.  I rode up on an Acela Express today, leaving NYP at 5:00 pm.  I met Amfleet in Penn Station this afternoon,
Aloha

Saw that you said typing from your hotel room. What is your Connection method. I just started using wirelress and this machine will go with me on my next trip.

Mahalo

Man I agree with you there, it seemed like around every corner there was construction. Down my South Station they had those amazingly high cranes that were dizzying to look at, which was pretty neat as well as some other strange looking buildings that were in the process of being built. But the Big Dig, the finished part that we went through rode like a rowboat in the ocean with all these waves in the road!! And the parts that were in the process of being built, the construction workers didnt seem too into it. One guy in a CAT excavator was taking a nap in the middle of the afternoon inside the cab, haha what a stressful looking job that is!
Now you can understand why it took 15 years to complete :blink: :D

But yes the construction did make walking a bit tougher, next time Im gonna check out the subway! That would have probably been the easiest and fastest way to get to South Station from the Aquarium because that was quite a walk (we also took an extended walk to get there though through the Financial district.
I don't blame you for walking, the only T in that area is the Blue Line and it doesn't directly connect with the Red Line(which South Station is on). You should commend yourself for making one of the toughest walks in the city, but the next time you come to Boston it should be finished becoming one of the best looking prommanades around.

You could tell we were out of towners gawking at the skyscrapers. I thought those buildings were quite amazing, but they couldnt compare to the Sears Tower which Ive seen in Chicago!!
Boston has a few tall ones near Copley Square, downtown they are pretty short compared to most of the major cities. Doesn't help having the airport directly across the harbor.

Grrrr

i spent the better part of my day in club Acela today cooling my heels waiting for friends to arrive

I am sure i saw you Allan and Amfleet and didn't even know it :(

boyishcolt said:
Grrrri spent the better part of my day in club Acela today cooling my heels waiting for friends to arrive

I am sure i saw you Allan and Amfleet and didn't even know it :(
Well if you were in the lounge between 4:00 & 4:50, then yes, you probably saw us. We sat in the back corner by the emergency exit.

GG-1 said:
AlanB said:
Well I'm typing this post from my hotel in Boston.  I rode up on an Acela Express today, leaving NYP at 5:00 pm.  I met Amfleet in Penn Station this afternoon,
Aloha

Saw that you said typing from your hotel room. What is your Connection method. I just started using wirelress and this machine will go with me on my next trip.

Mahalo
I'll connect with whatever is available. I can do all three types of wireless, I can connect via regular network wire, and if the hotel has none of the above, then I can connect via dial-up modem.

At this hotel, the Double Tree Club Hotel in Boston, they have wireless type G. However, at least in my room the signal is pretty weak. I'm also not exactly thrilled that they charge for it. I probably wouldn't be as upset if it were a more reasonable charge, but $9.95 per day is highway robbery for wireless technology. It probably costs the hotel about 50 cents per day to support my connecton.

Can you say "Huge Profit Center"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back