I'm on the #14 Coast Starlight!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckysBarn

Lead Service Attendant
After 3 days of no internet, I'm sitting in PPC now. WiFi is OK. Not fast, but better than nothing. Got off the Chief this morning, had a good time. First time in bedroom - quite spacious after roomettes! Fairly uneventful trip - snow in Flagstaff, Gallup & Victorvile; good food & good OBS. No big delays. I'll be writing up a trip report later this week.

Good for you! Enjoy!
cool.gif

I got a substitute SSL instead if a PPC on my October trip!
mad.gif
It wasn't even close to the same!

:hi: Fantastic! Makes all us land based members envious, sounds like a fun trip, my girlfriend is driving that route from New Mexico to LAX, hope the snow doesnt affect the roads! Look forward to the trip report, have a blast! :wub:

snow in Flagstaff, Gallup & Victorvile; good food & good OBS. No big delays. I'll be writing up a trip report later this week.
Aloha

Glad you are enjoying your trip. No wonder my daughter asked if I had chains. I have to drive through Victorville to visit her for Thanksgiving.

After 3 days of no internet, I'm sitting in PPC now. WiFi is OK. Not fast, but better than nothing. Got off the Chief this morning, had a good time. First time in bedroom - quite spacious after roomettes! Fairly uneventful trip - snow in Flagstaff, Gallup & Victorvile; good food & good OBS. No big delays. I'll be writing up a trip report later this week.
Perhaps you could share another update with us tomorrow when you get closer to PDX and/or SEA? Sounds like the Northwest is experiencing some cold rain and snow today, delaying some of the trains up there. I am watching 11(22) which will become my 14(24), and it is down by about 4 hours as it is approaching Portland. On the upside, I imagine you will have a beautiful trip through the snowy Cascades tomorrow! :)

Enjoy! Have an extra glass of wine or an extra cup of hot cocca with whipped cream in the PPC for me!! I probably wont be on the Starlight again until early March 2011. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing right about now you're relaxing with either Duck or Lamb in the PPC :p It was a hard choice for me but the Duck finally won out, and it was well worth the price of admission!

I got into SJC (San Jose) last night about 15 minutes early. So this portion of my trip has ended. Didn't have to worry about the predicted 22 degrees & snow in PDX. :D New menu in PPC - I had a flat iron braised beef something. Fork tender! Alan was the PPC attendant. Very passionate about the PPC. He encouraged everyone at the wine tasting to call Julie to let Amtrak know how we felt about this special car.

More to come later.

Alan is a top notch attendant and when I was on board, he looked after the PPC like it was his own. And he's not stingy with the wine pours either :lol:

What does Alan look like? I had a great PPC attendant on #14 last summer. I didn't realize how outstanding he was until I saw the contrast with the PPC attendant on #11 coming home. I reallly want to send a commendation note to Amtrak, but didn't get his name. If someone could describe him I would know if it was him or not, as he was not hard to look at. Easy on the eyes! :rolleyes:

I had a great PPC attendant earlier this year named Bill. I only know that because both he and conductor Phil did a little serenade on the PA somewhere along the way and they announced themselves as the "Phil & Bill Show". :D

I did both lunch and dinner in the PPC and Bill got a generous tip after the latter as he went out of his way to make both meals very nice and memorable.

I'm going to LAX and back before the New Year and I hope to have Bill on one of those trains. :)

I was volunteer station-hosting at SJC last night for 14's pass-through...I would've said "hi, BeckysBarn" if I'd known you were coming through and known who to look for. Was kinda busy with 50+ getting on and more than that detraining; lots of seniors boarding so I kept the pax indoors as long as I could (it was chilly on the platform!) and then 14 comes huffing in early. This is the time of year when people seem to be extra-appreciative of the assistance station hosts provide...I'm liking it.

Becky, did you see the basset hound? She's a regular (along with her owner/companion) monthly, LAX-OAK, and I always enjoy chatting with both of them when they're out for walkies during the extended station stop.

San Jose: the friendly way!

I was volunteer station-hosting at SJC last night for 14's pass-through...I would've said "hi, BeckysBarn" if I'd known you were coming through and known who to look for. Was kinda busy with 50+ getting on and more than that detraining; lots of seniors boarding so I kept the pax indoors as long as I could (it was chilly on the platform!) and then 14 comes huffing in early. This is the time of year when people seem to be extra-appreciative of the assistance station hosts provide...I'm liking it.

Becky, did you see the basset hound? She's a regular (along with her owner/companion) monthly, LAX-OAK, and I always enjoy chatting with both of them when they're out for walkies during the extended station stop.

San Jose: the friendly way!
I'll be leaving next Monday (30th) on #14. If you're there, look for the black luggage with pink duct tape - that's me. Yes, saw the Basset Hound. What a cutie. Her job is to alert her owner to seizures before they happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back