Inaugural Festivities in Lynchburg!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wayman

Engineer
On a perfect fall afternoon, several hundred people turned out to Kemper St Station in Lynchburg for the arrival of the inaugural train's whistle-stop tour. Chairs were set out for the audience facing a podium, and behind the podium the Heritage High School Marching Band entertained the crowd. Bunting adorned the station's balcony, which was also filled with enthusiasts.

An Amtrak regional manager from Raleigh kept everyone up to date about the train's whereabouts over the loudspeaker and also gave us safety reminders. Amtrak probably had fifty additional staff on the ground at Kemper St today: both station agents, of course, plus regional managers and customer relations people and media handlers and about two dozen Amtrak Police with two K9s. Norfolk Southern had a few dozen employees on hand as well, including some of their security.

The arrival was scheduled for 3:55, but the speeches must have run long at some point, because at 3:20, we were told the train was running fifteen minutes late and would arrive at 4:10. There was plenty to keep everyone entertained, in the meantime, between the high school band, the nature center which occupies part of the station, food vendors, and the LyNchburg N-Scalers model railroad running in the station's waiting room.

And at 4:10, we heard the K5LA in the distance and the crowd rose to its feet! Here's my

!
The station platform is long, but this consist was long enough the private cars weren't even visible unless you walked up and over the hill to the north of the station! Today's consist had two P42s, eight Amfleet II (yes, II) I coaches and an Amfleet cafe, NS #24 "Delaware" great dome, and Amtrak's Beech Grove. (For regular runs, the consist will likely be one P42 with six Amfleet I coaches and a cafe.)

As I walked up over the hill, I saw station agent Garland Harper driving past down on the platform. (He's also the photographer of the Kemper St Station construction photos I've occasionally posted here.) I didn't realize at the time that his passenger was former Virginia Governor Linwood Holton (1970-74; and father-in-law of current Virginia Governor Tim Kaine). Garland was having a great time today, though his work day was from noon to midnight... and he's getting up at six in the morning to ride the inaugural train to Charlottesville with his mother :)

Over the hill were the two private cars!

While I was down there, I may have said the right thing to the right person and gotten a tour of the Beech Grove... :cool:

I got back to my seat just in time for the speeches. First was our mayor, and then were Norfolk Southern CEO "Wick" Moorman and Amtrak President Joseph Boardman.

They were followed by our state delegate and state senator, and then former Governor Linwood Holton and current Governor Tim Kaine. Holton grew up in a small town near Bristol in the 1920s and spoke about how, when he went to college at Washington & Lee, he would take the train from Bristol to Lynchburg (and then bus to Lexington). His father worked for Norfolk & Western; and he suggested that, much as his mother might not like him to say it, he may well have been conceived on a Pullman car!

Tim Kaine re-iterated the point made by our delegate, that the total amount paid by Virginia for the three year pilot program for this train is less than the cost of constructing one mile of new highway. He then went so far as to say that although this train stops in Lynchburg, if it proves successful it may well extend to Roanoke and even Bristol someday.

As I was walking back to the car, Norfolk Southern freight #214 sped northbound on the other track. Beech Grove is dwarfed by the massive engine.

Finally, after dinner downtown, we returned to the station and had a look at the consist parked on the new siding, ready for departure. After the festivities, it proceeded south to the wye, and Norfolk Southern removed their dome car. Beech Grove remains, and through the windows we could see the dapper attendant (in his red bow tie) tidying up the observation room.

Thursday morning, I'll be on board!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, very enjoyable, hope more states and cities can work on good projects like this, Virginia is coming on fast from the bad old days!

Wayman, at least that first coach was an Amfleet I, and from what I could see in the video that looked like an Amfleet I as well, so was it a mixed consist, or...

Wayman, at least that first coach was an Amfleet I, and from what I could see in the video that looked like an Amfleet I as well, so was it a mixed consist, or...
Dangit, you're right. I always think "one door = I, two doors = II" but it's the other way around. Two doors per car, so these were all Amfleet Is. My bad!

Excellent report by someone in the know. Hope the Beech Grove tour materializes. I'd be curious as to the progress being made on the major wreck cars. Thanks again; it was a great comprehensive report !!! :)

Good gosh almighty.....the only thing missing from that video was Opie, Aunt Bea and Andy Taylor! :) That was a true slice of Americana. Thanks for sharing Wayman!

Thanks for the post. I almost felt I was there and certainly would like to have been.

Excellent report by someone in the know. Hope the Beech Grove tour materializes. I'd be curious as to the progress being made on the major wreck cars. Thanks again; it was a great comprehensive report !!! :)

No, I think he got a tour of the Amfleet Observation car BEECH GROVE, not an actual tour of the Beech Grove facility. Now if there was a tour of either, I would gladly take the opportunity to see both (although, I have seen of interior pictures of the BG and it does look interesting in terms of the layout.

Hey wayman, does the BG have a president' suite or something in there? I know it has the observation lounge, kitchen, and possibly a dining room, but does it have a bedroom for the president? An easy way to remember the Amfleet Is from the Amfleet IIs is that the Amfleet Is have smaller windows and two doors, and roam the NEC, and the Amfleet IIs have bigger windows and one door.

Thanks for the pics and info, wayman! :)

Great video, Wayman! The cheering crowd, the high school band, that magnificent sound of the engine as it approached.....I got all choked up, and now I have to redo my mascara before I go to work. I don't get teary very often, but this did it. Do you think I'm crazy?

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever".

Great video, Wayman! The cheering crowd, the high school band, that magnificent sound of the engine as it approached.....I got all choked up, and now I have to redo my mascara before I go to work. I don't get teary very often, but this did it. Do you think I'm crazy?
"A thing of beauty is a joy forever".
The exact message on my ansering machine and also on my late wifes grave in Toronto, a great saying that applies to anything thats loved and remembered including trains!!

How will the new train be crewed? Have new / existing staff been located in Lynchburg, or will they operate out of another base?
*j* :blink:
It's a very interesting set up. There will be two jobs that will work out of Zone 5 South. Three round trips a week each. Then there's one side that will be a relief job out of Zone 5 West. That job will work the Tuesday southbound. It will also cover the relief side of the Capitol to Cumberland on Saturday. This job also carries two days on the extra board.

How will the new train be crewed? Have new / existing staff been located in Lynchburg, or will they operate out of another base?
*j* :blink:
I don't know the details about the train crew base, but I know there have been big changes in the station crew. Previously, Kemper St Station was only open from about 9pm to 6:30am, which covered the Crescent's two stops (roughly, southbound at 10pm, northbound at 6am). So, it used to be impossible to drop off or retrieve checked/shipped baggage during the day and early evening, or to use the QuikTrak or of course speak with an agent in person. Very inconvenient!

Now, the station will be staffed from 4pm through 8am, in two shifts. (Garland got the evening shift Wednesday through Sunday, and seemed pleased as punch about his new hours. For many years, he's been splitting his time between the Lynchburg and Charlottesville stations, giving him an hour commute each way most days!)

When I went back to the station Wednesday night, Garland showed me some of the ridership numbers. Today, 78 passengers boarded in Lynchburg, and more than that boarded in Charlottesville. Next week--UVA's fall break--Charlottesville is receiving or discharging over 200 passengers most days, some days 300! While those numbers are of course far higher than what will be typical, reservations have been healthy throughout the fall. There were apparently a few people who were vocally saying nobody would ride this train, and they're being proven wrong in the short term! Let's just hope ridership continues like this in the long term.

Great pictures and video. I favorited the youtube video and rated it 5 stars. Did the train accept passengers to Washington? If not, when are they? I heard it was supposed to start October 1st on the dot. The strange thing is Amtrak released a new Northeast Corridor 2 timetable (the Boston to Virginia one) on September 21st but it showed no sign of the Lynchburg trains.

I think you're more likely to see the Lynchburg train on the Crescent's schedule than on the corridor schedule. The corridor schedule will probably just show "Through to Lynchburg".

Great pictures and video. I favorited the youtube video and rated it 5 stars. Did the train accept passengers to Washington? If not, when are they? I heard it was supposed to start October 1st on the dot. The strange thing is Amtrak released a new Northeast Corridor 2 timetable (the Boston to Virginia one) on September 21st but it showed no sign of the Lynchburg trains.
I believe the special train that went to Lynchburg on Sept. 30 stayed overnight and became the regional train that headed north on the morning of Oct. 1, minus the dome car and Breech Grove. The train went to Lynchburg with two P42s, so would one of them have been used to take the Beech Grove back to DC?

The new service to Lynchburg is not yet in the PDF schedule, but the new line to Lynchburg is shown in the map and the additional stations on the Northeast Regional route webpage: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...84&ssid=134.

But I gotta admit, I got choked up too......... Seeing that kind of response, and the well-done video and audio.....Kudos, Kudos, Kudos.

I think the only innagural (Amtrak) that I was on was when the original Turboliners came to the Chicago -Michigan line. And of course we hit a RR tie that some kids had laid on the tracks just east of the old Day-Twa station........... crumpled the damn ole tie IIRC.......

I believe the special train that went to Lynchburg on Sept. 30 stayed overnight and became the regional train that headed north on the morning of Oct. 1, minus the dome car and Breech Grove. The train went to Lynchburg with two P42s, so would one of them have been used to take the Beech Grove back to DC?
The dome was taken off in Lynchburg by NS. Beech Grove was put back on, as seen in the consist shot of the train waiting overnight for departure.

This is a newly built siding (facing north) where the Regional will dwell overnight. (After detraining southbound passengers in the evening, 171 continues south to NS's yard, where there is a wye. She turns, then returns northbound to just north of Kemper St Station, then backs into this siding. That all happens between when 171 arrives and when 19 arrives later that evening, so long as everything goes according to schedule. And 176 will be waiting on the platform when 20 comes makes her call in Lynchburg the next morning, before departing about an hour and a half later.)

In addition to building this siding and the platform up to code (there was an office track here or close to here, but it was ancient), there is also a new "Kemper St Yard" just north of this picture--two yard tracks also facing northbound and terminating in bumpers at the south end. If a car needs to be set out of the consist, it would go here. And if anyone were to park a private car in LYH, it would also go here.

Beech Grove returned from LYH to WAS on 176's inaugural revenue run, October 1. Joe Boardman had to get back to Washington somehow! :)

At WAS, Beech Grove was taken off the back end by a switcher while at the front end 176 was changed from diesel to electric power.

The last little surprise was waiting for me when I got to PHL. 176 was still listed on the Solari board as having just departed "to Boston from _______", and 171 is listed on the fourth line as boarding "to _______ from Boston". The information line at the bottom of the board says "Train 171 Destiation Lynchburg". One hopes that today they'll get "destination" spelled correctly! And perhaps new flap-cards are on order saying "Lynchburg"????? There have always been a few blanks in the to and from rolls, as well as a few stations that will never be used on this board (Stamford, Cape Cod) which could be replaced. Very exciting to think I might see "Lynchburg" on the Solari board someday soon!

The new service to Lynchburg is not yet in the PDF schedule, but the new line to Lynchburg is shown in the map and the additional stations on the Northeast Regional route webpage: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...84&ssid=134.
At Lynchburg, there was a lot of new Amtrak literature that's probably not yet available elsewhere, including printed timetables (full color, glossy!). I agree, this train will probably appear in the next regular-paper Crescent schedule. I'll try to scan the timetable I have and post it somewhere, but that may take a few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back