Indiana Derailment: Alternate Transportation?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

x-press

Service Attendant
A derailment in or near Goshen, IN resulted in some service disruptions to the Capitol and Lakeshore Limiteds. Does anyone know what arrangements (if any) were made for passengers on these trains? #30(17), for example, appeared to be cancelled entirely (corrections welcome).

After the thread below regarding how Amtrak handled the Silver Service outage, I am seeking information on how Amtrak deals with disruptions, overall. I've always been under the impression (not verified firsthand, thankfully) that Amtrak usually does quite well in dealing with passengers who are affected by missed connections, cancellations, etc. Has this changed, or have they just been having some bad luck lately?

JPS

So 30(17) DID run? Why isn't it listed on the train status page?

Kudos to Amtrak if they did bustitute as necessary and run the train anyway, and kudos to NS, which apparently got the wreck cleaned up to the point where 29 arrived in CHI this morning only 47 minutes down! :blink:

One time when i rode the Lakeshore Limited they had a derailment in Indiana so we got rerouted through Michigan into chicago.We went north from Toledo into michigan with a pilot engineer then into chicago on the same route the Michigan trains use.My 1 and only trip into the state of Michigan.

x-press said:
Kudos to Amtrak if they did bustitute as necessary and run the train anyway, and kudos to NS, which apparently got the wreck cleaned up to the point where 29 arrived in CHI this morning only 47 minutes down! :blink:
Yes it ran out of Toldeo-Washington.

On one occasion, I rode 48 out of Chicago enroute to New York City. There was a derailment in a similar location, and we were rerouted over the route of the three rivers, and then up to Toledo. We left Toledo about 6 hours late. I did enjoy the rare mileage. That ride through Michigan would have been interesting too.

AmtrakFan said:
No 30(17) was detoured on NS's Chicago Line and Passengers were bussed to Toledo :angry: I would have loved the Rare-Mileage. The Derailment from what I hear is very nasty.
which line is considered the NS Chicago line, just outta curiousity?? sorry, i'm still trying to better know which freight railroads are the host railroads for some long-distance trains, as i only know a few of them(i.e. California Zephyr, Sunset Limited, and Texas Eagle running on mostly UP trackage, SW Chief on BNSF, etc.).

is it the line that the Michigan trains use through Indiana, before entering Michigan?

x-press said:
Whenever there's a service disruption of any sort anywhere along the route, the train status for the whole run gets replaced with a "service disruption" messae. Not a bug, it's a feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back