Indianapolis, Chicago Union

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

highballing

Train Attendant
I will be leaving on a train here very soon. On the Texas Eagle up to Chicago Union and then Hoosier State over to Indianapolis. I will be doing a sleeper up to Chicago from Fort worth and coach from Chicago to Indy they didn't offer sleeper on Hoosier State. My dad will be picking me up in Indianapolis.

I have a few concerns since this is my first trip up that way. I think I pretty much understand the layout of Chicago Union Station from maps that I have viewed of the station. A couple of questions regarding this though.

How does the lounge section work at Union Station?

How do I know what track or area to sit in to pick up the Hoosier state when I get to Union Station from the Texas Eagle?

Also regarding Indianapolis station. Can anybody give me any orientation of the Indianapolis Station. I have not been able to find any maps of the place or anything. With my luck I will end up getting lost in there. Orientation I mean like setup of the place. You get off the train then what, walk up 50 flights of stairs etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being that you are the only train in/out of Indianapolis Union Station, you won't get lost. They share the place with Greyhound under the rail viaduct. There's a small waiting room for passengers and that's about it, so you won't miss your father. Amtrak no longer stops at the actual Union Station facility anymore.

Once you arrive at CHI Union Station, you can look for arrival/departure screens (like at airports) that will show which "gate" the Hoosier State will be departing from. Then just head for the Amtrak waiting areas and look for that particular gate area.

EDIT: Of course, I overlooked the fact that you will be arriving on a sleeper. MrFSS (below) mentions the use of the Metropolitan Lounge.

Since you are taking a sleeper into Chicago you will be able to use The Metropolitan Lounge. Show your sleeper ticket stub and they will let you in and you can wait to board the Hoosier state in the lounge. They will make an announcement and board you before all the regular coach passengers.

Being that you are the only train in/out of Indianapolis Union Station, you won't get lost. They share the place with Greyhound under the rail viaduct. There's a small waiting room for passengers and that's about it, so you won't miss your father. Amtrak no longer stops at the actual Union Station facility anymore.
The entrance to the joint Amtrak/Greyhound facility is on the SOUTH side of the rail viaduct directly opposite Union Station. "Union Station" is/was on the north side. There isn't much to it, and you pretty much can't get lost.

PS - what is in Indianapolis Union Station now, since the shopping development closed up? I know the hotel took over part of it.

The entrance to the joint Amtrak/Greyhound facility is on the SOUTH side of the rail viaduct directly opposite Union Station. "Union Station" is/was on the north side. There isn't much to it, and you pretty much can't get lost.

PS - what is in Indianapolis Union Station now, since the shopping development closed up? I know the hotel took over part of it.
Only the Crown Plaza is still there. It has some of the rooms in old rail cars right where some of the tracks went through in years past.

Indianapolis Station is across the street from Lucas Oil Stadium. At the corner of S. Illinois and W. South Streets.

When you get off the train there is a stairway going down to the waiting area, walk behind that and there is a service elevator going down to the waiting area.

From the elevator in the waiting area walk in a daigonal line across the building to the doors outside, there is a small circular driveway, pick-up area, If your dad is coming in from the south, he will come up Illinois (one way), at the corner of Illinois and South he will probably see some Greyhound Busses in the lot on the NW corner, Go STRAIGHT through the intersection and as soon as he crosses the interesection he will see the little circular driveway for drop offs and pickups. Keep in mind that you will be arriving close to midnight, there is usually uniformed patrol in the lobby. Pick-ups are pretty easy, because there is little traffic downtown at that time of day, unless there is a late ball game downtown.

Funny, my husband is doing the same trip in reverse next weekend. Going down to San Marcos, TX for the week.

When you get off in Chicago, take the little "Red-Cap" trolley, they will take you and your bags straight to the door of the Metropolitan Lounge.

Regards,

Diana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back