Interesting offer from Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whistler

Service Attendant
Just got home from a rail excursion/visit to parent trip, see my first attempt at a published travelogue, and found a interesting offer from Amtrak on the answering machine. They called with a special promotion, offering to upgrade my up coming trip on the Late Sure Likely(SYR to BOS) for a special price. Give them a call and for $50 they would upgrade me to 1st class. Took them up on the offer, of course. Anyone else encounter this special offer?

Yeah... I got a call today offering to upgrade a coach ticket to sleeper for a 7 hour trip, for $100. I passed...

(it was the Southwest Chief into LA)

I've never personally been offered a deal like that, as I always book a sleeper outright. However this is not unheard of, in fact if the train is running light in the sleepers, Amtrak will often do this. I've heard of at least a dozen people who've gotten a call and a deal like this from Amtrak.

IMHO it's a smart thing to do. It's good for you, as you get to try something new and for a good price. It's good for them as they may convert you to a regular sleeper passenger, plus even if you don't always go first class, they got a little extra revenue to help offset the salary of that sleeping car attendant who will be there regardless of whether the sleeper is full or not.

I have heard of this happening too. For my Capitol Limited trip in August, Deluxe Rooms are still avalible, so I'm hoping, just maybe I will get a call so me and my mom can upgrade.

Thanks all. Rounds out the rest of the journey, which is in business class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back